Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

NAD Mesa Boogie Mark V

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by carver, Nov 22, 2017.

1. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Had rehearsal last night.

Got to use this amp on about 70 percent wide open. Holy smokes. It stays to so true to the way it sounds... I seriously enjoyed every note. the one that that was a shocker was that as you turn it up, the amp just gets louder. doesnt spike in all the wrong places like some amps do when you bring them up. it just stayed so level and simply got louder.

such a great match with the strandberg too, makes it sound so nice.

fattboyzz, Textele, s5tuart and 2 others like this.

2. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    Very very nice amp. You may never need another one. HNAD!

carver likes this.

3. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Cab Clone DI is ok, but its just not the same as a driven cabinet and a mic or two.
    Yes, the masters work very well, but I like my tubes working, and the air moving.

Whisper quiet volumes just dont cut it for me when Im plugged into a sweet tube amp, and my current living situation doesnt allow anything more than a "loud conversation" volume level.

Considering I would rarely if ever get to let the MKV flex its muscles, it wasn't worth the expense.

For years I ran my old Dual Recs into a 4x12 with a cabinet isolation box made from an oversized flight case, and it worked, but going digital made more sense for both convenience and expense.

4. carver

5. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    More Mesa for @carver \m/
    Now you start hording them.
    New amps are fun
    Congrats and enjoy!

Life is good,
    Robin

TheDuck and carver like this.

6. carver

I have three boogies right now!

the Mark V
    the trusty old studio 22
    and a Dual Rec

I DIG it

to quote this german fellow

Life IS good.

7. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    I love my Mk III. The Mk5's are incredibly versatile, I am sure you have quite a fabulous piece of equipment there. I have jammed with mine at high volumes, and yeah, Mesa's are killer.

carver likes this.

8. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Congrats on the MKV!!!!! That's a big boys amp!! :D :D
    I love my lowly little Studio 22. 1992 and still going strong! :D

carver and TheDuck like this.

9. kchurch

kchurch Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario, CANADA
    Happy NAD! Boogie on Carver!

carver likes this.

10. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    My neighbors would hate me. Nice one there my friend

carver likes this.

11. carver

I have a 22 too

its a very early one and its honestly such a great sounding amp. mine isnt the plus, so I have an EQ pedal in the effects loop, the speaker is a greenback celestion and it really jives with the 22. I seriously love that little sucker.

s5tuart and TheDuck like this.

12. muf magician

muf magician Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    Congrats! In about a year I plan to snag a Mark V 35 and do a custom color scheme. I can't get over how much a love my mesa I got last week (Rocket 44) so I may become pretty loyal.

I'd really like to go play Mark Vs throughout the year to be sure but if it's more versatile than mine (I know it is) it'll be a winner.

13. Cryptical11

Cryptical11 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Sweet amp. The only bad thing that about getting a Mark amp is I've gotten really picky about playing other amps since I got one.

owenmoney and carver like this.

14. carver

I can totally understand this statement.

it makes a lot of my 2 k plus amps seem a little useless.

its one of the first amps that I find I dont need a boost in front of it to get some clarity out of my high gain tones. it simply just has a voice to it.

it seems as if the gain structure is happening after the eq. so the actual eq of your amp shines through no matter what.

I love it.

15. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2013
    I’ve had an Express 5:50 plus for two years now and it ticks all the boxes for me. I don’t think I could ever go back to a different brand of amp. I don’t want to play through my other amps at all . Congrats and Anjou ! Mesas are fantastic amps !

carver likes this.

16. jpjr50

jpjr50 Strat-O-Master

Jun 3, 2016
    Florida
    For amp guys this would be the Holy Grail for most. Damn bro that's a serious amp!

carver likes this.

17. carver

well. My Mark V had a baby.

Its a mark v - 25

I guess this is what happens when you leave gear unattended...

Honestly, I traded my Dual rec for it. A friend of mine was using the 5:25 with his band and said he loved it but wished it was louder. then asked me if I still had my dual. yes. I did. wanted to know if I would trade.

yes.. I would.

so now I have a 5:25 for fun I guess... Its super compact, so it may just replace my blackstar fly 3 as my hotel rig when I travel for work. not a bad hotel rig...

the little sucker slays too.. not as round sounding as the 90 watt, but I guess thats just 6l6 vs EL power tubes? whatever. doesnt really matter to be honest it still sounds great.

the 10 watt setting is pretty useless.. it doesnt really cut down the volume much, more or less just decreases headroom.

lots of stuff crammed into this little box... super impressed. right now I have it running through the greenback in the studio 22. but I plan on picking up a cabinet for it today. I have a fender vaporizer that I know a buddy wants and I know he has a few nice cabs, so I will have to see about working something out there..
    mesa.jpg