Join Strat-Talk Today

NAD - Mod Kits DIY M102 Tube Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by LarsN, Jul 7, 2019.

1. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

It took me about a month to build, and then troubleshoot this one, mostly because I only worked on it for a little bit each time I got it out. Once it was all together it had a terribly loud 60 cycle hum, and connecting an input cable turned that up to 11 regardless of where the volume was set.

A little bit of time tracing leads, and I found a disconnected filament wire, and a couple of solder joints I wasn't happy with. I fixed those up, and cleaned up the Pots, and input jack holes as I noticed they weren't grounded like they should have been and now it works great.

Here are a few Photos of the build process. And then a Video clip at the end. Please pardon the playing. I'm still learning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfW64Jzg9_4

JB74, Miotch, mapleglo and 6 others like this.
  2. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, tone to the bone. This is a straight no bull**** amp.
    I like it.
    Great job.

Life is good,
    Robin

JB74, Miotch and LarsN like this.
  3. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-Talker

Good to see soldering stuff up from scratch isn't a lost art just yet... I will definitely be building an amp some day.
    Well done!

Miotch and LarsN like this.
  4. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

My Guitar instructor when I told him that I was going to build a tube amplifier as part of my "guitar journey" thanked me. What he doesn't know yet is that this amplifier pictured above is his.

It's all point to point wiring, which these days you would pay a fortune for a point to point wired guitar amplifier. This one is no frills, bare bones, and man it sounds fantastic. The little Celeston 70 Eighty 1x12 in the open back Ibanez cab sounds pretty great as well.

I hope he enjoys the amp! Next up I'm going to tackle a Silverstone 1484 Clone.

Miotch likes this.
  5. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

GOOD JOB and what a nice thing to do for him! I'm sure he'll love it!

I wish I had the skills / 'intestinal fortitude' to do an amp build! Hat off to you my firend- and for trouble-shooting it and making it right! Impressive!

Brian

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I have an original. It's a neat amp, but a lot more complicated. Enjoy that project!

7. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

After listening to several Silverstone 1484 clips on youtube, I decided not to go that route. I'm going to build a 5e3 combo instead. Good little practice amp, not a lot different than the Mod 102 I built at the end of the day, but in a cabinet with a speaker.

8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Great job. Had to go google these and love the sound, too !!
    May be a build in my future.

9. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

"no frills, bare bones" is an understatement. Almost agricultural!

JB74 likes this.
  10. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Agricultural maybe, but it will sound fricken awesome ;)

11. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

12. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

Haha... fencing wire not push-back wire

13. LarsN

LarsN Strat-Talker

I should report back:

My guitar instructor was blown away by the amplifier. He plugged it into the speaker from his little Fender Blues Junior. It wasn't the prettiest setup, but it got the job done. He then plugged his heavily reliced (through years of playing) Strat into it and started playing. With a good player it's amazing the tones he pulled out of the little M-102 amplifier. He turned it up, and it broke up extremely nicely. When he turned the guitar down it went sparkling clean again.

He must have played it a lot more that night because I got a wonderful e-mail from him the following day with how much he liked playing the amp. He found a longer speaker lead, and I think has it set up nicely now. I'm going to see him this evening for my lesson. It'll be interesting to see if I continue to use the Blues JR for the lesson, or if he'll have me plugged into the M-102. I'l try to grab a photo of it in place if I can while I'm there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.