NAD: Quilter Aviation Cub

GhostJam47

Strat-O-Master
Apr 21, 2021
Seattle
Okay after long delay, more thorough analysis. My reference point is an old Blues Jr. NOS Tweed w. Jensen.

• This just sounds a lot better: Fendery-cleans, dirt, everything in between.
  • Better tone at lower volume. I'm able to let the amp do more of the work (gain). My gain stacking has been easier to dial in (Tumnus->Timmy)
  • All 3 channels sound great, although I've been mostly in the blonde and somewhat on the BF.
  • The line out works really well. Much easier to get to my "real" tone in my DAW than via pedalboard->Amplitube (where I was using a virtual Princeton). Probably more of an issue of me learning the nuances of Amplitube, but easier is easier.
  • Headphone out sounds better than anything I've used in the past (mostly cheap practice amps)
  • EQ is much more responsive, not even counting the 3 channels
  • My only other solid states have been like those $130 practice amps. There's really no comparison there.
With all the extra features (3 voices, line-out, headphone out, FX loop, better volume control, smaller, lightweight), if it sounded almost as good as the BJ, it would have been worth it. But it sounds, A LOT better.

Not even once has it crossed my mind that I wish I got the Princeton or Supro, the other amps I was looking at.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Cerb

Anti conformist reformist
Jan 22, 2016
Sweden
Okay after long delay, more thorough analysis. My reference point is an old Blues Jr. NOS Tweed w. Jensen.

• This just sounds a lot better: Fendery-cleans, dirt, everything in between.
  • Better tone at lower volume. I'm able to let the amp do more of the work (gain). My gain stacking has been easier to dial in (Tumnus->Timmy)
  • All 3 channels sound great, although I've been mostly in the blonde and somewhat on the BF.
  • The line out works really well. Much easier to get to my "real" tone in my DAW than via pedalboard->Amplitube (where I was using a virtual Princeton). Probably more of an issue of me learning the nuances of Amplitube, but easier is easier.
  • Headphone out sounds better than anything I've used in the past (mostly cheap practice amps)
  • EQ is much more responsive, not even counting the 3 channels
  • My only other solid states have been like those $130 practice amps. There's really no comparison there.
With all the extra features (3 voices, line-out, headphone out, FX loop, better volume control, smaller, lightweight), if it sounded almost as good as the BJ, it would have been worth it. But it sounds, A LOT better.

Not even once has it crossed my mind that I wish I got the Princeton or Supro, the other amps I was looking at.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

DffShiJ47fPqM.gif

Stingzy

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 19, 2021
Mt. Vernon, NY
Okay, @GhostJam47, you motivated me to finally post my impressions after only a few days with this amp, and with only 2 days with the (new to me) guitar in the pic that has also (pleasantly) stolen my spare time. :)

I agree with everything that you have said. The amp is a stunner, taking into consideration the factors that go into our liking or not liking the total package. Tone, volume, weight, price, touch sensitivity & responsiveness, cleans AND dirt, okay reverb, looks, included cover, the 3 voicing inputs, well matched speaker,…it’s all there!

I still like the Blonde input the best with my 3 Strat-type single coil guitars, with the BF input the next, and the Tweed - I could live without so far. The gain limiter, which @Cerb had pointed out tome as very useful and interesting is very much so. The compressed gain-y sounds become a different animal with the limiter turned up to various levels, and it’s a very useful feature that I haven’t experienced on an amp before. @Cerb had also mentioned to me that the gain control is kind of like a glass ketchup bottle pour - slow, slow, slow, and then finally, something pops out. The gain increases very subtly until the last few notches on the dial, and then engages big time at the very end where it becomes maxed out.

I’ve gone from vintage Fender Pro Reverb, vintage Princeton Reverb, vintage modded Peavey Classic 20, 30, and 50, Roland JC 120, and probably a few more that I am forgetting, and I have to say that I am very impressed! This amp checks all the boxes, and then some. I was all set to buy without hearing the Tone Master Deluxe, but from the YouTube videos and my time with this gem, I can’t imagine a better fit for me!! 05783503-6C10-4881-A3B6-5B179E3FCF0F.jpeg

Last edited: