NAD! Rivera Clubster Royale Recording 25/12 watt

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Deafsoundguy, May 2, 2020.

1. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talker

@stevierayfan91 - Thanks for asking

Got my new head yesterday! Smaller than I imagined, super awesome great size. Not heavy, just right! Built like a tank. Would easily fit on your front seat and easy to transport. Got it from Sweetwater, came very fast. I got the last one they had (for now). 25 watts or half power switch to 12 watts which is perfect for me. All the recording features are there, 1/4" or XLR output and dummy load switch to play silent and with headphones. FX loop in and out, ground lift, 4/8/16 ohm load select and 6 different speaker voicings with level control for connection to mixer.

Sound quality and usability : I had to have Fender cleans. My HR Deville is great clean but can only turn it to 1/2 of 1 before it's loud as crap. I can actually turn the Clubster to real numbers with control - so great for once...

Clean channel is ultra clean with just hints of tube presence and warmth. YOu just get bass and treble so not a ton of control, but there's overall presence too. I find the amp to be very bright, way more so with my Peavey Generation2 versus the Strats. Playing clean is super clean. I plugged in the only other pedal I possess that's not a comp which is a BOSS Blues Driver. Even at minimum setting it's noticeable and adds a nice bit of dirt. Whether an amp "takes pedals well" I guess is a matter of opinion, but it seemed to like it with tons of headroom. Basically though, I noticed that the Rivera clean is cleaner than the Fender clean now that I had a chance to compare the 2. So, since I like a wee bit of dirt and don't really want to alter the tone with the Blues Driver, I decided to use the lead channel (ch 1) to see how clean I could get. With the master set higher and the preamp set about the same level, not going for obvious overdrive, it gets a nice little very pleasing dirt. This is the sound I really really like, and using a comp pedal for lots of sustain and harmonics, I am super happy with the sound. 12 watts is great. I think switching to 25 watts would be fine for about any band gig but I guess that depends on how loud the deaf drummer is...

Going for overdrive gets dirtier fast. Pulling the bass knob gets way high gain. The gain channel sounds 100 times better then the DeVille crunch channel. It's definitely a Fenderish kinda crunch not a Marshall crunch. I think this amp is awesome for many styles of music except for right out of the box no pedals, I don't know if a metal-head would like it. Metal pedals would and should do it however.

I'm super happy with the amp. I would say though that this amp is 100 times better using a compressor pedal. It makes me not want to stop playing, which is the Holy Grail of finding the right combination of stuff at the least amount of gear - that is for me anyway - guitar, comp, amp - period (with the onboard reverb added). I have the Rivera Shaman Sustain pedal on order but it's way back ordered so it'll be awhile on that. Looking so forward to that pedal with ability to mix comped and non comped signal, as well, as 2 different comp levels via footswitch.

Oh yeah the EQ is SUPER active... very touchy and responsive. Sounds very musical and more of an attribute than the EQ on a Fender, I have 2 Fenders and the Rivera is better for sure in many ways.

Pros: All the above :thumb:
    Cons: I wish it had a midrange control on the clean channel and headphone jack on the front instead of the back. Otherwise it's awesome. :)
    Bummer part: They forgot to include the channel switcher which is supposed to be included. I'll have to wait for that one for who knows how long. :oops:

I wish they made this amp in an even smaller package like 15 watt/5 watt... that would be so cool. Really glad Sweetwater guy recommended the amp, it was not on my radar otherwise. Rivera head.jpg
    Rivera head CU.jpg

Stratbats, Robins, valor19 and 4 others like this.
  2. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

HNAD :thumb:

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  3. Deafsoundguy

Thanks. I hope to get a matching Rivera speaker cabinet down the road. I really loved the look of their combo but didn't want the weight of one. My DeVille is so heavy. The "separates" are such a great transportable way to go. More expensive but so handy.

Antstrat likes this.
  4. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

That looks super nice.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  5. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

SCORE

Man, I came so close to buying the combo version of this on the Reverb last year.
    I'll bet it's a great amp!

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  6. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi, @Deafsoundguy -Buddy

Happy Amp Day !!

In looking at the Rivera, sadly the store near me does not have them.
    Due to medical reasons, I don't earn enough for bank account to order gear online :oops: :oops:

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  7. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Congrats and enjoy!

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  8. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master

HNAD! Nice choice in cab, too!

Stonetone and Deafsoundguy like this.
  9. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Strat-O-Master

Rivera makes outstanding amps and are under the radar for most players, but for those of us who know, we KNOW! You can get amazing deals on used Rivera amps too!
    Congrats!

Stonetone, Robins and Deafsoundguy like this.
  10. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

...so you've had this amp for awhile What's the verdict?

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  11. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Man Thing Strat-Talk Supporter

:eek::eek:With that avatar you need not be starting threads titled "NAD"!!!!!:whistling::whistling:

Stonetone and StummerJoe like this.
  12. Deafsoundguy

I love it. It’s perfect for what I wanted. You can get any amount of distortion you’d like, or clean with a bit of dirt. However I think for metal you’d probably want a distortion pedal to get thrash sounds. Anyhow I feel like I got lucky following the Sweetwater guy’s recommendation. With a comp pedal it just sings. I would absolutely buy the same amp again. I just use it at the half power setting.

Go NAD threads!

Stonetone and StummerJoe like this.
  13. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

Excellent

The combo version is on my short list.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  14. Deafsoundguy

Yeah, after having this amp, I would only recommend the single channel versions for guys who do all their things with pedals. So I would highly recommend the 2 channel units. And on ch 1 you can have dirt or really grind it up with more pre-amp to master ratio. Then there's the boost, which goes insane gain. It's cool but I don't use the boost and rely on the sustain pedal for just that - sustain without needing more distortion to get it. I hate having chords turn to hamburger.

I absolutely hated the distortion (button press) on my HR DeVille and so glad the Rivera sounds nothing like that.

One thing, mine did not come with a channel switcher. I had to have Rivera drop ship me one. So if you do buy one, make sure whomever checks and makes sure one is in there. One great thing is that you get REAL customer service. I get emails back same day.

Good luck to you sir.

StummerJoe likes this.
  15. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Strat-O-Master

Rivera has always had great customer service. Mesa Boogie too! Most of your smaller manufacturers do...their livelihood depends on it!

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  16. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Very nice HNAD :thumb:

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  17. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

HNAD:thumb:

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  18. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice. I came this close to getting a Clubster a while back. Enjoy!

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  19. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

HNAD.

Deafsoundguy likes this.