Name one or more underrated (under the radar) guitarists of the 70's and 80's

omahaaudio

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 21, 2014
France
I can’t leave this thread without mentioning my favorite guitarist of all time, Johnny Ramone. He had such an impact on the course of rock music. His guitar playing basically created a new genre of music (not to minimize the rest of the Ramones). Literally NOBODY knows who he is outside of the guitar community. He was a total dickhead, but his contribution to rock n roll can’t be overstated.
Let us not forget Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols.

Stevn

Senior Stratmaster
May 31, 2017
Oxnard, CA
Who do you think were solid/proficient/influential guitarists that possibly changed the landscape of music during the 70-80's but didn't achieve worldwide recognition.

This is not necessarily a spin-off of the usual "who's the best". I'm looking for something new....maybe something/someone I haven't heard or really never focused on.

One name that comes to my mind is Elliot Easton of the Cars--I always thought he did some cool stuff and had the chops to pull it off.
Randy Rhoads

Ampedup

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2021
Roseville,CA
Andy Timmons, formerly of Danger Danger (which was odd because he has a degree in jazz) got to see him play with Simon Phillips (Toto) Protocol band. Just outstanding player with incredible feel.

I know they are from the 90's but they sound like they are from the 70's is the most under rated rock band that no one has heard of "Cry of Love" with Audley Freed on guitar. They only made 2 albums but they are such great albums. He went on to play with the Black Crowes and now Cheryl Crow. If you like 70's rock you really should check out these albums.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Buckethead came out in the 80s so I'm gonna say my 2nd favorite guitar player, Buckethead. I think it was around 87/88/89 that he started being known around the industry and started making a name for himself by sending tapes to that guitar magazine. Since then, it's been a hell of a ride for Big B.

Danny D

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 2, 2019
The swampy desert.
Who do you think were solid/proficient/influential guitarists that possibly changed the landscape of music during the 70-80's but didn't achieve worldwide recognition.

This is not necessarily a spin-off of the usual "who's the best". I'm looking for something new....maybe something/someone I haven't heard or really never focused on.

One name that comes to my mind is Elliot Easton of the Cars--I always thought he did some cool stuff and had the chops to pull it off.
Clem Clemson! Peter Frampton's replacement in Humble Pie was regally Les Paulish and completely British bluesy.