Name one or more underrated (under the radar) guitarists of the 70's and 80's

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by nifnof70, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento
    East coast elitist intellectual snob.

2. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

The most awesome thumb of the era.

3. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  4. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

The best of the best. The real leader of Chicago.

5. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talker

So this comment is a really good entrance to the rabbit hole of what makes someone a great guitarist. Is it flash, is it flair, is it jaw dropping ability? Is it being integral, solid in the pocket, tone, creativity? Is it reliability, cohesiveness, and being a stalwart? So many variables in this equation. It's like I preach to my bandmates, application, application, application. Does it work for the task at hand? Does it work for the overall presentation? If so, then that's perfect.

6. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

7. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

That's a great description.

Danny D likes this.
  8. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

Those are the best kind

Danny D likes this.
  9. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

Off the top of my head I'd say uniqueness, creativity, a personal style. I live in Nashville. There are a ton of talented player's/musicians. But my question is what sets some apart from the others? Keith Richards, Pete Townsend, and Jimmy Page were not Jimi Hendricks, Eddie Van Halen or Chuck Berry, but they all had one thing in common... uniqueness, creativity, a personal style.

10. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Such a great comment. It really sums it up. Nine times out of ten, it's better when I record a solo, analyze it and strip out the extraneous bits and then re-record the "abridged" version because it serves the song better.

Danny D and Jmart1212 like this.
  11. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

I found out about Yes in about 5th grade. I was into BTO
    I found out about YES accidentally in about 5th grade. I was way into BTO, and their album Not Fragile as well as their other stuff. I found Fragile by accident when I was at the end of the albums alphabetical section. I was looking for, and I got Apostrophe by FZ (I got it on 8 track later) but What was this ''Fragile" album about. I took a chance and bought it, brought it home and played it. I instantly was familiar with the first song. It was the weird thing people were trying to play at the guitar store, a block away from the record store, which was also a head shop, (the Music Store and The Pick Stop, La Grange, Illinois) but I did not know or care what all those funny things in the display cases were. At first it sounded like 'In The Beginning' at least the first part of each did, but after listening to it a few times I really started digging it, especially South Side of the Sky, which was much harder than Day Tripper, which I had just mastered. I was playing chords mostly, but DT and SSotS were like, the first riffs I ever learned other than Smoke on the water. I would try to play along with it for hours in my basement on my Dad's Garrard TT, Fisher stereo and AR spkrs. I figured out some more of it on the piano, which was first, actually. From Yes, I found King Crimson, and loving Frank, I sure had a lot to chew on. Led Zeppelin as well. So Steve, Robert, Jimmy and Frank were my first influences from an early age.
    Fast forward: I did see the Union and 90125 tours and one of the last ones with Chris Squier at the mountain winery in Saratoga, CA.
    Now I am looking forward to KC and the Zappa band at the LA Greek on 8/6. I guess the youngsters dont know about those guys anymore. :( Syd Barrett is a guitarist that has been sadly overlooked for six decades. The first song I heard by them was BIKE. then Astronomy Domine, And when Gilmour started playing THAT again, I was in heaven. Well, a whole lot of really great guitarists, feel, never got the recognition that they deserved, but maybe they just wanted to play what was in their hearts instead of prioritizing album sales. The really lucky ones got to do both, but a lot of them joined the 27 club, Keith made it to 31. Musician's music, I guess, didn't sell as well as Pop did. Still doesn't. And that is a shame.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  12. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

+1^^^^. Great player!

Impulsive guppy likes this.
  13. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

Is that a musical opinion, or did Steely Dan hurt your feelings?

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Walter Becker. Everyone knows Steely Dan, but few mention how great Walter was as a guitarist. RIP!
    And a killer bass player

Andrew Wasson and Seamus OReally like this.
  15. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

Definitely hurt my feelings, ya know. They wrote a song about my grandmother's lil cousin's sister called Bodhisattva. When it came out I didn't have the chops to play the triplet break. For this reason and from that moment on I christened Becker a snob. Plus, he went to Bard and I'm sure he didn't play the break anyway.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

Dennis Diaz played that crazy bebop stuff on Bodhisattva.

3bolt79 and Stratafied like this.
  17. msbrech

msbrech Strat-Talk Member

Don Felder and Bernie Leadon. I know the Eagles aren't exactly under the radar, but it always feels like people, when they talk about the Eagles are talking about Henley, Frey, or Joe Walsh.
    But Bernie Leadon is a fantastic guitarist who plays guitar, banjo, mandolin, pedal steel all incredibly well (give a listen to Twenty One on the Desperado album), and he does not get enough recognition. And before Walsh joined, Felder came on board and brought that rock edge Henley and Frey wanted so badly. One of the cleanest players I've ever heard. Listen again to the solo on One of These Nights, or especially the slide on Good Day in Hell.

18. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Wayne Perkins.

19. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Jeff skunk Baxter.

Andrew Wasson likes this.