Join Strat-Talk Today

NBAD (New Bass Amp Day)

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SachaPlusDeluxe, Oct 18, 2019.

1. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

So as per one of my other threads I've started playing Bass in a second covers band (I'm a lead guitarist normally) and I'm honestly having a blast :) I had borrowed an Orange TB500C from my mate to gig with, however although it was a great sounding amp, it really only did one sound which was warm vintage ballsy bass tone. To be fair, it did that exceptionally well, but I wanted a more transparent modern sound.

I ordered a Bugera BDX15a only to find out there was going to be a 7 week wait, bummer :( then my mate said I could swap the Orange for his other spare amp which was a Markbass CMD 102P. To cut a long story short, I read the reviews and ended up buying it without even trying it as it appeared to be exactly what I was looking for, transparent tone with a lot of scope for EQ as it has extra knobs (VLE and VPF). Having got it home and run my Bass through it, I was immediately smitten. I also got it for a steal of a price around $300 and it's incredibly light for a combo 20kg.

I'm very happy :)

IMG_1036.jpg

2. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I recently started bass stuff in the past month ago, last week my new "rumble lt25" amp showed up last week. I am excited, but have not had time yet to fire it up. It was like $240 from sweetwater. I chose to go with it as it is equipped with some effect stuff that looked to be fun.

Yours is much better looking. Happy new amp day!

SachaPlusDeluxe likes this.
  3. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Fun! Glad you’re playing bass, welcome to the world of the down and dirty!

4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I am really big on 2x10. We have a couple of bass amps but one of them we call "The Herniater". That's it with the other Yamaha stuff:

[​IMG]

Jonesing hard for a smaller amp.

Good purchase by you. Grats.

5. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

That's a great looking little bass combo. Looks like 300w at 8 ohm, 500@ 4 (i.e., if you're using an extension cab). That should be enough power for a 50-100 person club gig even without an extension cab, and small enough to fit in a subcompact car. I wish I'd had one of these when I was gigging bass, this is going to be a whole lot more convenient than the rig I used to use.

And you got it for a steal! These things retail for $1200. Dude! At that price I wouldn't pass it up either, and I don't really need a gigging bass amp.

2 things to think about though--one, 10s tend to be punchy but not great at round full sounds. I bet this thing comes even more alive if you add a 1x15 extension cab. Two, this is small enough and light enough that it could walk off the stage if you're not looking.

6. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Update

Gigged it. Loved it. Exactly the sound I was after. It’s extremely transparent in comparison to the Orange and can go from a nice modern tight sound through to a warm vintage tone with a few turns of the knobs. It hasn’t got the ballsy sound or thump of the orange but can get close. Perfect amp for my bass needs

ryunker and Bob the builder like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.