1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

NBD

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by ryunker, Sep 23, 2019.

1. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Well into my venture in guitars and music and learning, this morning (430am) I found the desire to play along with a bass player. I would bet none available when I have time to practice. So I will just go get one, put it into my Looper and bam. How hard can that be? Well tomorrow morning I will be making my first attempt...

At any rate, I got a Sterling 4 string bass, new from GC at lunch. One humbucker active eq? Along with other specs that at this time mean nothing to me at this point. It is satin black, with rosewood and looks cool.

I am unsure of the model, it is either a "ray 4" or a "ray 34". At this minute I have no clue. My guess is "ray 4" based on its $299 sticker price.
    20190923_183755.jpg
    20190923_183807.jpg

3bolt79, Dougeryb, shupe13 and 9 others like this.
  2. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Nice.

3. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Looks really nice. Happy Bass day to you. :)

4. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member

Congrats, yep it’s a Ray 4.

Enjoy that bass! :)

5. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Congrats! Gotta love flat black!

6. ryunker

Now if it would just play the correct notes in time...

Hugh likes this.
  7. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

The great bassist Jumbo Hart says "I make boom sounds one note at a time" !

A great song to hone your timing is the Bed's Too Big Without You by The Police. Their Walking On The Moon is as well.

Great rhythm guitar workout as well :)

Anyhow, congrats on a good choice. I like 'Rays.

8. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

HNBD! I have taken a dive into the DEEP end myself. And I have looked at those Sterling Ray4s at GC for $299. I haven't played one plugged in, but it had a really nice, quality feel, lightweight and a nice satin neck. I think you made a good score. Congrats!

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. ryunker

I traded in a $10 Ibanez garage sale gio bass with a bad fret, my new bass ended up at $245 that included tax as well. They valued the trade at $42 and 10% off new bass. I saw these used basses on reverb for $245. It was more than I planned, as I am not planning to be a bass guy, just wanted to put some notes in a looper.

10. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I bet that really thumps with that big bridge humbucker!

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. ryunker

No clue. No bass amp yet...

Going thru small guitar practice amp. So far very happy.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. ryunker

Well its been ten days, bass is still good. Since then the case was ordered and arrived followed by a Sweetwater delivery at work yesterday for the bass amp. I went with the Rumble LT25 with all the presets and some effects built in. Not knowing really what I am doing after like a dozen bass lessons on Fender Play I was looking at the Rumble 25 which came with some effects, overdrive for $99, but in the future am I going to dabble with some effects and desire some presets? To date I really don't know so I went with them for the extra $119.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RumLT25--fender-rumble-lt-25-25-watt-1x8-inch-bass-combo

Have not gotten the amp home yet, probably tonight.

I did find the new bass was manufacture in 2012, odd that I opened the factory sealed box and no signs of any corrosion, along with the setup is good. Even knowing that I would have made the same choice on the bass.

13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

These are an awesome bass. I bought one for my daughter in law. I put LaBella gold flats on it. It is just as good as the real stingray I had. I will get another one in the near future. Really it felt the same and sounded just as good. Congrats and HNBD! The one I got was surf green. $299 before a 10% military discount.