Join Strat-Talk Today

Neck depth and tone

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MUCOL, Oct 21, 2019.

1. MUCOL

MUCOL Strat-Talker

I was getting my strat worked on it has one of the thinner fender profile necks on it I really like it. Another guy came in this is a really small repair shop and I was packing up to leave he asked if that's one of those thin profile fender necks? I said it sure is I really like it. Well, he then proceeds to tell me that he only buys strats with the really deep big necks because the tone is so much better. I asked what he meant by better he said deeper more sustain ect ect,

I've owned a number of strats I mostly look for the smaller necks but I've had a couple of the larger necks and I've never noticed that much difference in the tone based on the depth. There are all kinds of variables that come into play here on this subject but I've just never had anyone make that statement to me about a strat neck.

Has anyone here had that conversation about a strat neck? As it turns out he lives close to that shop and I asked him if he would bring his over and show us and he said he would so I'm going down and check it out I did mention stock PUPS and he said his were so I'm curious.

abnormaltoy and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Is the neck maple or rosewood? :whistling:

3. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talker

Umm, add that up to a guy who thinks he knows what he don't know. Then go home and play your guitar you enjoy knowing you own it & not him.

Eric

4. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talk Member

Everyone has an opinion on every aspect of a guitar. 99.9% is total B.S.
    A good guitar is a good guitar. If you like it, play it. End of conversation.

To add a little bit more. I also prefer smaller necks. My favorite is my 93 MIJ 62 RI which very small. I currently have a Kenny Wayne Sheperd Strat which has the thickest Strat neck I've ever played. It doesn't do anything for tone or sustain as far as I can tell.

So, that's possibly the best caparison. Both guitars are 62 spec Alder bodies with Maple & Rosewood necks. Both have vintage style American bridges & similar vintage style/output pickups.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  5. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-Talker

yeah and is it a good tonewood?o_O

Seriously though over the years Ive had a lot of guitars from baseball bat Les Pauls to Ibanez RG's with wizard (super thin) necks. Though my hands are fairly large I cant stand thick necks. The guitars with really meaty necks are all gone. Doesn't help me if I don't want to play them. My RG's and strats remain -all on the thinner side, the RG's super thin. I guess I make what I like work. None of my strats have single coils for instance. Tone is fairly easily manipulated whether with different pick ups , eq, ect.so I play what feels good in my hands.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Supernut and ibdrkn1 like this.
  6. MUCOL

MUCOL Strat-Talker

I personally do notice a difference in maple and rosewood but I didn't want to get into that discussion with him. The guy who works on our guitars said he was referring to his maple neck strat which is what this one is for me too.

7. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Strat-Talker

Don't listen to expert opinions that are just opinions. You might be wrong about something but it isn't because they advised you that they have an ego.

Andrew Wasson and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. MUCOL

MUCOL Strat-Talker

I prefer thinner necks myself the one on this strat is really thin but I love it. I've never noticed any difference in tone based on neck depth that's why when he brought it up I was like come on.

9. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-Talker

My Les Paul R8 has a fat neck (.91 1st and 1.0 12th), and it is the most stable guitar I own. That guitar has kept the setup perfectly for 3.5 years without even needing a truss rod adjustment. It also stays in perfect tune. I can go a month or more and pick it up and it will still be in perfect tune. None of my other guitars are like that. I think it is due to the fat neck.

Stratoskater and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

My strat with a thin neck has a good tone.

So does my strat with an average neck.

A good guitar is a good guitar. I havent found many, if any factors that work every time.

1 person likes this.
  11. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

You can't tell difference.
    I have a '56 RI strat with a huge neck and a '59 RI with a smaller neck. I guarantee swapping the pickups on those two guitars would make more of a tone difference than a neck swap.

12. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This.
    Everything impacts the tone in some way.
    Can you hear it? Maybe, maybe not... and that's as close to the tonewood argument I'm going to go ;)
    Can you feel the difference in your hand? Absolutely. I really like the old deep-V necks. They aren't as fast as the slim taper necks, but the mojo just oozes into my hand from them.

AxemanVR and Nate D like this.
  13. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Would a thicker neck offer more options for trussrod?
    In case one wants to play heavy string gauge "a la SRV", (13s is it? ).
    I had 11s on one of my "thin" for a while which required the trussrod to tightened up to the Max. And got me back to play no heavier than 10s
    Swapping for a heftier trussrod could possibly resolve that issue where the neck's thickness will allow.
    That in turn could lead to a "deeper" tone and a gain in sustain.
    Just speculating.
    It would certainly not be a quick and easy job.

14. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

People have all sorts of opinions.
    All of that goes out the window when it comes down to making music. Does it sound good to you and are you comfortable playing it? If the answer is yes to both, then that's all you need to know. The rest is just blather.

15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

It’s funny that you say that. My Brian May replica is 1 and 1/4 inches at the zero fret and gets progressively fatter up to the 12th. It’s a one piece mahogany neck. And I only adjusted it once, when I got it in 2015. It’s never needed an adjustment. All my other guitars need adjustment with change of seasons. I honk you’re on to something here.

16. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-Talker

I have never heard of a 1.25" neck at the zero/first fret. That is crazy fat! Some of those early 50's Fender necks were 1.0" at the first fret, which is a massive neck.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Every shop has it's resident local expert nutter. Nuff sed...

CigBurn and jvin248 like this.
  18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

While, from a purely scientific viewpoint, a thicker neck should result in a more robust sound.. it's not all that easy.. there's a litany of other issues that factor into the sonic calculus... then, there's the completely metaphysical aspect.. your personal "connection" with the guitar. That plays a significant part... thus it doesn't matter how good it sounds, if you just plain do not like the guitar, the sound will "suck" to ya... if not that, you will "find" another reason to move on...

I'd say never let someone else tell you what ya like... or what you're supposed to like, just play whatever ya have like its the last time you will ever touch a guitar, because one day, it will be.. and as always, Rock on..

Actually when someone "volunteers" to diss your choices, it says far more about them than it ever could about your guitar....

r

19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Some not so early Fenders have comfortable necks too, mine is 0.97" at the first fret...

20. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

I was just thinking abt this subject today, but in a slightly diff way.

After swapping parts between diff Teles I almost think that fretboard radius affect tone, ie. Flatter radius = more flexibility = warmer tone.

Maybe?

circles likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.