Join Strat-Talk Today

Neck Pocket Cracks

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FLKeith, Jan 17, 2020.

1. FLKeith

FLKeith Strat-Talk Member

Hello all, I was reading previous discussions on neck pocket cracks and I have a question. I just put a deposit on a used American Strat that has VERY slight neck pocket cracks (small surface cracks on both sides of the neck, barely visible). How much should this change the value of a guitar? I do not want to get crushed if I resell the guitar one day.

Groovey likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum!!

small surface cracks at the neck pocket are normal, and will not affect value at all......got pics of the damage?

Are you getting a good deal on the Strat? do you know what year and model it is? Are you sure it's genuine?

heltershelton likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Letting Agent Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, what you have to bear in mind, is that they may never change. If they do, they will never get smaller.

Welcome to the forum.

CB91710 and Groovey like this.
  4. FLKeith

I think it’s an okay deal, $900 for a 2017 American Professional. The guitar is in great shape with the exception of the tiny little cracks. I am buying it from a very reputable music store, I am certain the guitar is legit.

Dick Blackmore likes this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Decent deal, they're $1450 new....

FLKeith likes this.
  6. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Fender with neck pocket cracks. There are zillions on the market without them, so I'd find one without, unless it was a great player. All about how you bond with it.

7. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Won't a lil drip of thin CA (super glue) fill and seal the crack. Drip it on and wipe it off. @vid1900

FLKeith likes this.
  8. FLKeith

My thoughts exactly, decent deal. I love the color and the condition of this particular guitar, other than the barely visible cracks. I also love my life, which is why I won’t spend the $1400+ for a new Strat.....the wife would kill me!!

amstratnut likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

It will, but why would you on a new guitar? Used, fair enough. New should be warranty work...

Groovey likes this.
  10. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It is likely just a finish crack, and CA is pretty brittle, so it won't likely prevent the crack from lengthening (if it is ever going to lengthen).. and I'd question whether it will even hide anything.
    Most likely, an attempt to patch it may harm the value more than just leaving it.
    But $900 is a fair deal... so there's no major depreciation hit to be taken the day it goes home.

Groovey and FLKeith like this.
  11. FLKeith

Any thoughts on a used Fender Mustang 1 vs2 amplifier for practice at home?

12. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

I've seen people recommend this and I've seen people say stay away from CA glue. I used CA glue a lot as a finish you can apply on a lathe, and other random stuff. CA glue will cure super fast with most paper towels (gets so hot it smokes), blue shop towels don't react as bad. And the "thin" seems thinner than rubbing alcohol, it can run super quick. The stuff is so thin it will launch/splash out of the bottle when you turn it over to apply it. I understand the method will work, but be careful.

Stupid little story about how fast and hot it cures on normal paper towels... I was using it as a finish on a bowl, so I was putting a lot on. Soaked right through the paper towel and glued the paper towel to my finger, which immediately started burning because it gets so hot. I was forced to just rip it off and one of my fingertips went with it. Pretty painful stuff :oops::mad:

This is the stuff I use, not sure if its technically Rocklers brand or if they just sell it at Rockler, I get mine off amazon now. I think it is known to be pretty good stuff. People who are picky about glue say CA glue is better when its fresh, not exactly sure why. Plastic polish like novus can make CA glue as smooth as glass.
    [​IMG]

FLKeith likes this.
  13. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

the real question is why do they happen in the first place was the neck to large at the heal causing it to happen or was the neck smacked hard enough to cause enough pressure to make the cracks.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  14. CB91710

It's not new... it's a used 2017 (from a dealer)

Will Fender even warranty finish cracks around the neck pocket?

15. Thrup'ny Bit

I'd be very disappointed if Fender can't guarantee that the finish won't start falling off within three years ("nitro finishes" excluded).

16. Guitarmageddon

If you're just getting into guitar, I think spending like $900 on a guitar and then less than $200 on the amp is not well balanced. I'd get a lower end guitar and a better amplifier.....

Stratoskater, nadzab, Bowmap and 2 others like this.
  17. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

I think its from holding the guitar by its neck and torquing it horizontal to put on your leg or whatever, but I could be wrong. I'll grab mine off the wall or stand by the neck, but then by the body when I turn it to put it on my leg.

FLKeith likes this.
  18. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

I've never even tried one, but I think people will recommend a Katana for at home stuff.

FLKeith likes this.
  19. CB91710

Using CA as a finish is something fairly new in woodworking. I've used gallons of the stuff over the years building model airplanes... first started using it when "Zap" and "Hot Stuff" were first introduced in the late 70s working on model trains. At the time, you couldn't get "gap filling".. the only thing available was as thin as alcohol.
    Temperature and humidity do take their toll, so you really do get better results with fresh product. Heat can cause the stuff to thicken and harden in the container, as I discovered when a few bottles in my garage one summer that were rock solid.

Pretty sure Rockler isn't the manufacturer. There are a couple of companies that make virtually all of the bottles CA glues and OEM them. Most have similar generic metallic labels.

Two ways to release it from your skin... nail polish remover is the cleanest and does the least damage. Holding your finger under water as hot as you can tolerate works by hyperhydrating and releasing the top layer of skin cells, but it's easy to go too deep if you aren't careful.
    Any number of things.
    The body and neck are wood. When humidity changes, the wood shrinks and expands. The finish may not be flexible enough to allow for that, so you get small cracks and finish checking... or in the case of poly, sometimes outright and chips.
    Also, a neck that fits nicely in a dry factory in Corona or Ensenada may be too tight in Florida, as both the body and neck will expand.
    It's kinda like "Sunbelt" cars that can be 60 years old with no fender or door panel rust compared to a 5 year old Tacoma that has spent its winters where they salt the roads.
    Likewise... "California" guitars... and other areas with stable humidity and mild temperature... tend to look new longer.

FLKeith, Thrup'ny Bit and snoopdoug like this.
  20. Thrup'ny Bit

Mine has been gigged for 15 years, fallen off stands and thrown about by my stupid arthritic hands, but it has no cracks.

Whichever is cheapest, you can always replace it later, I think most people prefer the 2. I like my Katana, but to say that not everybody here does would be somewhat of an understatement.

Nick-O, snoopdoug and CB91710 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.