Join Strat-Talk Today

Neck refresh

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by ChrisSm, Oct 13, 2018.

1. ChrisSm

ChrisSm Strat-Talk Member

My American ‘99 Standard has had a rough life, not my doing I have to add. Subsequently the neck lacquer is dinged in several places and the lacquer on the fretboard is so yellowed the black inlay dots look pale grey. It’s not a pretty site at all! I plan to have the neck refinished completely including the headstock. Now I know replacement logo decals are available from Fender via my local dealership but what about the serial number on the back? I want to replace it as part of the refurbishing process. Can anyone advise if they are decals and if so can they be sourced from fender? Or does anyone know of a process for reinstating the serial number before I lacquer?

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

@ChrisSm
    First off, welcome to the forum! :cool:

Next, I'm hoping that you have not yet started sanding or otherwise removing the finish! Stripping and refinishing a maple neck/fingerboard can be a very long, tedious and daunting process, depending on many factors and how you go about it. There are many questions to be answered and providing some pics would help us advise you.

How worn are the frets at this point? The reason I ask this, is that a stripping/sanding the fret board is much easier with the frets removed (and will likely need to be refinished again if a fret job is ever needed in the future) and if you choose stainless steel or EVO frets for replacements, it will likely never need another re-fret again! Also, how badly damaged is the face and rear of the headstock? If the logo and serial number decals are still intact and buried under the current finish, you may want to consider stripping all the rest of the neck and just lightly sanding the face and rear of the headstock (leaving the decals in place) and refinish over it all. Even if you choose to go with lacquer for the finish, it will go over the existing poly quite well!

Then the all important question: "Are you intending to do this yourself, or hire it out?"

Again, pics will help us help you!

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  3. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

It would probably be best to just write to Fender themselves.

4. ChrisSm

ChrisSm Strat-Talk Member

I did and they advised they don’t have a replacement serial number service. They advised protecting the area during refurbishment. I thanked them for their quick response and reply and admitted serial numbers on any product were a basic security/proof of authenticity measure so I understood they weren’t exactly going to hand them out willy nilly. I’ve noticed the year marks e.g. N9 are in a different font to the remaining numbers. I guess they are added first in batches then individual numbers added later, hence they don’t always line up properly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.