Neck repair: What would you do?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Exhead, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I'd probably just put the neck back on.

2. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

+1

With the following caveats:

1. I think I'm right in making its a Made in Mexico neck. If so don't spend more than it's worth trying to fix it.
    2. Make sure the screw holes ARE bad before trying to fix them - "if it ain't broke don't mend it".
    3. Just smooth off the lifted wood so it will fit properly.
    4. You can, if you really want to, use Bondo wood filler (Home Depot) to fill the divots then sand the back of the neck flat. Just remember a little Bondo goes a long way, and it's far easier to add a little more than to sand a lot off.
    5. Roll up some little tubes out of wax paper and stick them in the screw holes before adding the Bondo - to keep the Bondo out of the holes.

Exhead, abnormaltoy, Miotch and 2 others like this.
  3. grumpah

grumpah Strat-Talker Silver Member

I would put inserts in it for no other reason than I like the nervous feeling I get when drilling and tapping the holes...

Boyd L, Exhead, wurly and 1 other person like this.
  4. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Just from looking at the pics, my interpretation is the only thing that is messed up is the last mm of the screw hole which includes the chipped areas. Hence, my gut feeling is with those who think you don't need to do anything to reinstall it and use it. Now, if I held it and really examined it closely or put screws in it to check it, I might change my mind. But from what I think now, I'd just put a dab of glue under the loose wood and clamp it. Then, if I cared, I'd put a little wax or soap on the screws, stick them in halfway and fill the divots with a thin epoxy and let it cure. Remove the screws and reassemble guitar.

Exhead likes this.
  5. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

I'd use CA glue (superglue) and clamp down those hanging bits. As-is they're sticking out and that could keep the neck from sitting flat in the pocket. CA glue will wick up into that crack, Titebond won't unless you remove the hanging bits first.

If the threads are intact, that's it. Job done. If not, fill with epoxy & redrill.

Exhead likes this.
  6. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

THis is where I'd be... if it's just splitting away from the surface and the holes are otherwise intact, just fill with "something", and go with it. The filling won't be particularly structural. You could pour epoxy in there, sand flat, and redrill pilot holes.

7. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Frowny McNeckface has much hate for these types of "truss rod" shenanigans.

upload_2021-12-2_17-2-54.png

Miotch, Exhead and stratocarlster like this.
  8. mistermikev

mistermikev Strat-Talker

ordinarily I would say to use a 1/4 hole saw, break off the piece, use a 1/4 plug cutter on some maple with (hopefully) matching grain, and fill em in... but looks to be a lot of still solid good wood there. I would get some thicker screws (philledelphia luthier or just an ace hardware) and re-drill them.

Exhead likes this.
  9. Graham T

Graham T New Member!

The only person who will know it is like that is you, if it was mine I would leave it as is..........

Exhead likes this.
  10. train

train Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I would put the screws in without neck and see if they were firm , if so I would screw back together and have at it.

Exhead likes this.
  11. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

If you do drill and fill make sure you have an absolute depth stop on the drill press. I'm assuming you'd be using a drill press because doing it with a hand drill will not likely work out well.

The last thing you want to do is go through the neck.

Exhead and Bowmap like this.
  12. ibdrkn1

This. @Exhead

I did this earlier this year.
    IMG_20211022_113005913.jpg

Removed a neck from a used guitar earlier this year and discovered this.

It's assumed the previous owner adjusted the truss rod but failed to completely remove the neck screws.

After considering my options I ended up just putting back together as is. It was holding before I knew there was an issue and it's still holding string now.

Exhead likes this.
  13. ibdrkn1

Not that it matters but the previous owner likely didn't get bad advice, but likely failed to do it correctly.

People think they can just adjust the truss rod without doing all the steps. I'm sure he simply loosened the screws until he could tilt the neck enough to get the tool in. He needed to remove the screws entirely and because he didn't tore out the wood.

I highly doubt that was the advice given.

Exhead and wblynch like this.