Neck Shim?

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
But it’s always neck shims. Why not a bridge shim?
You can't shim a bridge down if the saddles are bottomed out. The only solution is to shim the heel up.
If the bridge needs to be raised relative to the neck, a shim could be used on a hardtail, but that requires removing the strings and bridge, then it will create a gap between the bridge and body. A gap at the neck is on the back and not visible from the front.

On Gibsons, the bridge adjustment is effectively shimming.

Three of my Gibsons... the SG has a 4.5 degree neck angle, which is fine for a Les Paul, but excessive for an SG.

SG-Bridge.jpg
V-Bridge-3.jpg
Saddles.jpg

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I’m confused why he needs a shim in the first place.
No adjustment left on the saddles and the action still is not correct.

Some prefer to have their saddles near the center of their adjustment range, some prefer them topped out so the screws aren't digging in when they palm-mute.
I had a Squier that had a bad sitar due to too little break angle (top-loader) and had to shim the neck to raise the saddles enough to remove the problem.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Yes, I regard it as a high end guitar, $1600 or so.
I believe that 100% contact from the neck through the shim to the body is important. Do you suppose a trained luthier would use a business card or a piece of a credit card? I hope not!
That is what the factory (and trained luthiers) have used for decades.

The Fender factory shims are generally 1/4" to 1/2" wide strips.

The factory designed micro-tilt adjustment is not even the contact area of a business card... it is the pinpoint of a grub screw.
It's fine... "100% contact area" has no impact on sustain or tone. The neck bolts solidly anchor the neck and transmit the vibrations just fine.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
@Ian: if you decide to go for the S&M shims, experiment first with cheap materials like business cards to figure out what shim thickness you need.

You can also use picks, either marked with thickness or rough guessed I.e. a typical tortoise Fender thin is ~.53mm, a medium .72mm, and I think a thick is 1mm but I'd need to check again.

A digital caliper is your friend. If you don't have one, Harbor Freight can help you out for $20. It's a lifelong feature And you'll wonder how you lived without one.

Ian Ashdown

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2019
San Clemente, CA
I think you’re way over think this. Even the micro tilt on so many fender guitars didn’t have a full contact neck to pocket shim. It was a screw that pushed on a metal disc. Hey it’s your guitar so definitely do what you feel is right.
I would never use a micro tilt screw, but it illustrated the Fender thought having the ability to adjust the neck angle was a good idea.

Ian

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I would never use a micro tilt screw, but it illustrated the Fender thought having the ability to adjust the neck angle was a good idea.

Ian

Fender did for years and still does was my point. I get that you want it perfect. Did you even just try a basic business card cut up to see if it will fix your issue yet?

StratUp

Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Just did some measurements for kicks... a Fender thick is .90 mm. At least my older one is.

Business cards vary from .33 for the thin fellows to .47 for the thick.

Doc538

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
I've used all kinds of stuff but I use bus cards (laminated ones are great) for flat increase and Cedar Shingle shakes for those that need a taper of which I have plenty after reshaking a side of my house.

Doc538

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
Buy it from StewMac on Amazon and it MUCH MUCH WORSE.

Instead of $1x.00 shipping fee for the entire order like their website, they've literally added $10 to the price of everything they sell on there. So if you bought 3 shims, you'd pay $21.49 for EACH shim. $30 extra. Buy some other stuff like a fret end file and some micromeah pads and those, too, will cost you $10 more for each item, too. And no, they won't modify the order and cut you a break when you mention this to them.

So buying 5 things from them on Amazon means you pay $40-50 more than on their website. The more you buy, the more they rip you off without hesitation.

And those PURPOSELY do this. They could offer shipping charges of 9.99 per order like their website and like others on Amazon do. But they choose instead to rip people off even more than they already do by adding $10 in shipping charges to every product, then claim they have "free shipping". :rolleyes:They have ZERO integrity at that company. They rip this community(guitar in general) off daily over & over and people just keep going back and buying more while leaving reviews about how great it is. Smh.

I have no motive for posting this. I'm just pointing out how badly they suck. Lol
Oh, come on now, that's not true at all. I use Amazon every day for my business and personal. Yes you need to check prices like any store, some are higher a lot are lower and free shipping is free not a markup like you suggest. How can a three dollar item have been marked up by 10, if its still $3 when shipped FREE ?
Stewmac 3 pack $34 free shipping on Amazon On Stewmac $34.40 Plus 12.00 shipping... so where is the rip off ?

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Oh, come on now, that's not true at all. I use Amazon every day for my business and personal. Yes you need to check prices like any store, some are higher a lot are lower and free shipping is free not a markup like you suggest. How can a three dollar item have been marked up by 10, if its still $3 when shipped FREE ?
Stewmac 3 pack $34 free shipping on Amazon On Stewmac $34.40 Plus 12.00 shipping... so where is the rip off ?
That is extremely unusual.
Though WoundUp is exaggerating, Most Stew-Mac products on Amazon are indeed 10-20% higher.
I run into it all the time. It doesn't stop me from buying on Amazon, as the checkout is simpler, and one checkout handles multiple items from multiple sellers.

These are just the first two random items I pulled up searching Amazon for "Stewart Macdonald Guitar Tools"

gauge.jpg NutDR.jpg

Doc538

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
That is extremely unusual.
Though WoundUp is exaggerating, Most Stew-Mac products on Amazon are indeed 10-20% higher.
I run into it all the time. It doesn't stop me from buying on Amazon, as the checkout is simpler, and one checkout handles multiple items from multiple sellers.

These are just the first two random items I pulled up searching Amazon for "Stewart Macdonald Guitar Tools"

View attachment 595793 View attachment 595794
That's correct! it is a Stewmac Store selling on Amazon so they set the prices and if it were me I would upcharge 10-20% too, but even so it is still cheaper when you factor in free freight and Stewmac still earns the sale. It was the blatant exaggeration that bothered me. In no way does that help anybody.

Bob Spumoni

Senior Stratmaster
May 5, 2019
New England
I use brass shimstock. I put three stacks - neck, mid, body - using as many little pieces as needed. I figure that's close enough to a righteous tapered shim, particularly given that I can;t stand Stewmac's larcenous prices for EVERYTHING they sell.

TheMadStratter

Strat-Talker
Jul 5, 2014
Kentucky
Set of 3 shims on Stewmac $34.47 shipping $11.99
Same set on Amazon $33.64, free shipping.

I don’t buy enough to join the club, and i a time when everyone else is offering inexpensive or free shipping I’m stunned that they have kept this business model. It’s not like their pricing is low!

Ian
SoCal

Too expensive an option. I've always used business cards cut to fit. Works well & virtually free. If a guitar needs to be shimmed, by all means, do so. 😀

CyFan4036

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 22, 2018
You are here
Playing perhaps a little more ‘enthusiastically’ than usual, I noticed a very tiny fret buzz around the 5-8 frets on the D & G strings.
I didn't see where you mentioned anything about whether or not you have had the frets leveled, but I do know that Warmoth does not level the frets. With the low action you mention it could come into play even if it's a minor deviation. Just a thought.

Ian Ashdown

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2019
San Clemente, CA
I didn't see where you mentioned anything about whether or not you have had the frets leveled, but I do know that Warmoth does not level the frets. With the low action you mention it could come into play even if it's a minor deviation. Just a thought.
I did a selective fret leveling on the neck when I built the guitar originally. It was very good from Warmoth, but there were a few that had high spots/ends.

The guitar is fabulous to play and it is only my desired to have some upward adjustment range that is prompting me to do anything.

I raised the bridge on the two offending strings and got back to the guitar playing beautifully with low action and great tone. However the bridge is now completely maxed out.

The shims arrived yesterday and I really do feel they will achieve what I’m hoping for; essentially rotating the line of the strings with the nut being raised and the bridge adjustment being lowered.

Ill let you know how it turns out.

Ian
SoCal