Join Strat-Talk Today

Need a bedroom/apartment amp that has onboard reverb and good sound with headphones

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by pricewithsalsa, Aug 10, 2019.

1. pricewithsalsa

pricewithsalsa New Member!

I have a Yamaha THR10C. It's not bad, but seems to be lacking something. I've been looking at the Blackstar HT1R, Vox VR15 and Boss Katana 50 (a bit more amp than I need, but I like a lot of the features).

Tried one of the Fender Mustang amps at the store, the desktop form factor similar to the Yamaha THR, and thought it was terrible. Maybe the bigger ones are better?

Basically, I need something that has good cleans, onboard reverb, and emulated speaker headphone out. Some type of usb recording out would be a nice plus.

2. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender Frontman 25r is most of that. Cleans are decent, has reverb (mine has an actual spring reverb in it which is decent enough) and a headphone (1/4") out that is nice sometimes. Toss in an eminence ragin cajun and its an all around decent SS amp. Even better you can find them for under a hundred bucks used pretty much anytime. YMMV

3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

jrbirdman and johnnymg like this.
  4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I have the katana 100 combo
    Does quiet real good and gets really loud should you ever need/ (or for fun).
    And you get any "pedal" you ever need...almost

JB74, Stratomole and johnnymg like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Go on your local Craigslist and find a used Line 6 Spider 15 amp and also search for the 'secret/hidden' controls to turn the funky noise reduction off. Reprogram the presets and it's a pretty good amp for what you want. Better than the Mustang I.

Older Crate amps are plentiful, cheap, and work great for headphones. Later years of Crates were after Ampeg owned the brand so they were pretty good but priced low and thus kids complained they were junk, because high price equals high quality as everyone knows....

Peavey are fantastic but those seem to be getting more rare as the Internet woke up to them.

Willmunny likes this.
  6. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

The complaint I had with built-in headphone jacks in amps was that what you heard in phones was preamp-tapped and there was no speaker emulation. I like the Weber Headphone Tap which connects between your amp and speaker, meaning you get to hear what your whole amp is doing. There's a built-in dummy load to protect your amp when you shut off the speakers, and independent volume control for headphone level.

https://www.tedweber.com/ha-50

I use one with my vintage Twin Reverb.
    [​IMG]

7. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I have a Katana 100 and it has great headphone sound and tons of other plus points. It has my vote.

JB74 likes this.
  8. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

When I read the title I was about to recommend a Yamaha THR but I see you already have one. You aren't very specific about what it is lacking though.

How about just getting an audio interface and Bias FX2? That'd give you plenty of options.

9. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

The Headphones you listen thru will impact the sound & tone far and away more then the amp your playing through!

10. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Get some decent headphones first.
    then get a katana 100 :D

11. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

I'm happy with the older Mustangs (before the GTs) with headphones. Can be found for cheaper than a pedal used.

12. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-Talker

Fender Champion 20. Very nice cleans, a lot of effects, and emulated output.

johnnymg likes this.
  13. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

I bought a Mustang I used for $40. It's perfect for headphone late night practice.

johnnymg likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.