Join Strat-Talk Today

Need a new Strap... might be looking for a unicorn

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dueducs, Oct 8, 2019.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Hi All,
    I need the help of the collective to find what appears to be a rarity of guitar straps.
    I have two single piece leather straps that are 25 & 30 years old, one khaki brown suede leather, the other black.
    I am looking for another brown one- SINGLE piece, no glued & stitched multi-piece please.
    Show me what you can find because I am having trouble finding any.

Something like this...
    IMG_20190428_001934549.jpg
    IMG_20190428_002023554.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    3bolt79 and circles like this.
  2. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I bought a couple of these a few months back. You specify the length, he cuts them, they’re not adjustable, just a simple strip of leather 1 1/2 or 2 inches wide. Not real thick, but thick enough to do the job. I got one with two holes cut in one end so I guess it is slightly adjustable, but no moving parts. A minimalist strap. I had a 40% off coupon when I bought mine, so they were only $50 something each for the thin ones. Normal price is quite high. But sounds like what you’re looking for... And a good guy to deal with.

https://www.mcmurrayandblonde.com/collections/guitar-straps

I had the holes cut for strap-locks, so there's no slit in the hole, but I think there ordinarily is... Your call either way...

[​IMG]untitled-2-2-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

[​IMG]untitled-3-2-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

RolyG, 3bolt79, Stratbats and 2 others like this.
  3. dueducs

That is close to perfect (although I prefer suede leather), but as you said, quite expensive. I do like the ash brown color.

mcmurrayandblonde likes this.
  4. RaySachs

He had a coupon code on The Gear Page that might still work. Try typing "TGP" into the coupon code and see. I bought mine several months ago, so it might not, but he didn't specify any end date, so it's worth a try. Still not cheap, but a lot more palatable. I don't see having to replace these in my lifetime given how easy I am on gear anymore.

And he had a couple different types of leather. The backs of my straps are almost suede in texture, so the feel and grip is there, but the tops are pretty smooth...

-Ray

5. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

have you asked @Bodean what he may be able to do?

6. dueducs

Thanks. I will give the code a shot. How soft or stiff would you estimate the leather to be?

7. dueducs

I love Jeff's work, but have not tried him because I thought what I am looking for might bore him to death LOL.
    For this one, I am really looking for a plain-jane strip of leather.

Grux likes this.
  8. RaySachs

It's a bit stiffer than suede probably would be, but there's just not that much to it, so I find it really comfortable And it's softened up some in the time I've had them and I expect it will soften a bit more in time. But I can imagine suede would feel softer to the touch. But when I sling it over my shoulder, there's no feeling of stiffness, just when I feel it with my fingers...

3bolt79 and dueducs like this.
  9. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Go to a shoe repair and tack shop , harness maker and have them make what you want. I had several made at the tack shop we use and the were very inexpensive. Just take your old one with you for a template.
    If the leather is too stiff just drag it back and forth over a board or something rigid. It will soften up the fibers .

I think I paid six dollars apiece for one inch and ten dollars apiece for two inch all of them were fifty seven inches long and I used a leather punch to put holes in them. One hole at the upper bout and several holes an inch apart at the bottom end.

Neil.C and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

I can do plain Jane, it's just I am rarely asked.:D
    What perplexes me is where to source that kind of leather.
    Are both sides suede? Is it thick?

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

You leave Jane alone
    You're a married guy

velvet_man, Groovey, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  12. dueducs

What I have now is suede on both sides. Not stiff at all and fairly thick, about an 1/8".

13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Find a Tandy store near you and wander around. You'll find something.

You might find a new hobby too ;)

dueducs likes this.
  14. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

Around here, you can source all kinds of good leather through "Tack" shops. I dunno if where you are has them, but anywhere you could buy a Saddle you could probably buy that leather.

15. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Is Tandy still alive?

Bowmap, Bodean and dueducs like this.
  16. dueducs

Yeah, I'm in the land of camels, not horses LOL I am mostly kidding. I have some friends with horses, I can check with them to see where they get saddles and such. Thanks for the idea. I would not have thought of it on my own.

Grux likes this.
  17. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Strat-Talker Vendor Member

Tandy is still alive, looks like you have split leather there on your original, the upper smooth grain layer trimmed off for something else.
    I can do single piece as well. thicker or thinner, wider or skinny, but not suede both sides, I don't have that technology here.

Ditchgator and mcmurrayandblonde like this.
  18. mcmurrayandblonde

mcmurrayandblonde New Member!

Thank for the shout out Ray!

Answering a few questions or comments
    • Horween Chromexcel (what Ray has) has a little bit of a heavier "hand". With a 1 being fabric like leather and a 10 being like hard to bend, Chromexcel is probably a 6. The Crazy Horse style leather (the Ash Brown) is closer to a 4 to 5
    • Like TVVoodoo mentioned, you probably technically have a suede strap. There are a handful of layers that make up a cow hide. The "best" is full grain which includes the top layer that has the natural characteristics of the animal. That is usually shined up to give a smooth finished side. The flesh side of the leather is "suede" as it can be left natural and is usually kind of fuzzy.
    • If you slice that top layer of leather off, that can be sold as top grain leather. The rest is sold as split (if the new top side is finished) or suede if it's not.
    • You also have nubuck which typically includes a little bit of the top grain after part of it is split off.
    • Why does all this matter? As you go down the layers, the fibers are looser. So they aren't as strong and start to look bad sooner.
    • Answering one of the other comments (my stuff is expensive) - two parts. One, that is the MSRP price. I offer the discount Ray mentioned because of how great of referral sources TGP and its members are. Its 100% good for anyone e, I just dont advertise here so I cant post one here too. Two, I only use expensive full grain leather and make everything in Chicago. The reason you can buy a "leather" strap for $25 is because the leather literally costs 10% of what mine does. And it's made by people making $0.50 an hour. It will look "ok" for about a month. Mine will continue to look better as they age - warn in, not warn out.
    • Yes, you can make your own. But you can make your own guitar too. You can make your own clothes. And your own soap. But, in all those cases, it will not look as good as what a professional makes especially if you get leather from tandy or the shoe shop. I'll even tell you how to make your own and give you a source for the leather, all the tools and methods. You'll probably save $5 or 10. But that's if you dont mess up...

19. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Tandy Leather, yes. I'm not sure when they split from Tandy/Radio Shack, but thankfully it was before hard times.

Bodean likes this.
  20. dueducs

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Ditchgator and mcmurrayandblonde like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.