Join Strat-Talk Today

need advice on an amp for acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by newplayeroldguy, Dec 21, 2017.

1. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

My granddaughter (16) just got an acoustic/electric from her parents. She is just beginning, but plays keyboards now and is the kind of kid who WILL learn to play the guitar- and quickly

I want to get her something big/good enough for her to grow into (if she winds up playing with a small group in college, for instance) maybe something that will also take a mic, as she also sings.

2. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-Talker

I bought a Peavey Ecoustic 208 this year. 20 Watts, 2x8-inch speakers, 2 channels - one with input for instrument or mic.

I lead an acoustic sing-along jam and we play guitar and bass through it at the same time. Nice little amp.

montemerrick and newplayeroldguy like this.
  3. Cuban

Cuban Strat-Talker

Boss katana has an acoustic channel.

newplayeroldguy likes this.
  4. unionjack515

unionjack515 Senior Stratmaster

AER Compact 60/3. The most fantastic sounding small amp that works great for acoustic guitar and keyboard (and bass...especially acoustic/fretless when you need some “air” to come through).

5. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've had a Peavey e-coustic 112 for almost 25 years.

Slick little unit, dual cone speaker (12" & 5" IIRC), separate channels for vocals and guitar, independent reverbs, separate EQ's (parametric on instrument and graphic on vocal), FX loop, power amp in, speaker out, plenty loud enough I used to use it as my only sound support on solo acoustic shows.

Like all Peavey SS amps, its built like a tank and since the speaker isn't real big not unreasonably heavy.

They have different e-coustic amps out now, at least 1 that has onboard effects for either channel.

I've seen used 112's for not a lot of coin, and they're generally in pretty good shape.

6. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Kustom Sienna series, reasonably priced, good sound, (+30 model→) mic/line in (keys ;)), line out, ext speaker connection, headphone connection, footswitch connection, usable build in effects.

nuculer terrist likes this.
  7. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Great amp indeed, but if I were to spend +1000€ (Euro) on an acoustic amp I would go for an Acus.

Silvercrow likes this.
  8. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-O-Master

This, so that when she gets her CS 60's Stratocaster she'll be ready to rock and roll... :)

9. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-Talker

There are many options. Plugging into the PA system is probably better than a dedicated acoustic amp. I have a Yamaha StagePas 300 that can be used with one or both of the included speakers and it delivers fine acoustic tone; it will handle 3 mics in addition to the guitar.

Playing through a clean tube amp sounds good as well. I have a Fender Super Reverb and at "living room" volume and a little reverb, the guitar sounds great. To run a mic, one would need an amp with two channels and a high impedance mic (1/4" TS plug) or an adapter/transformer with a XLR in and 1/4" TS out.

I had a small 15-watt Fender Acoustasonic that I really didn't care for - very boxy sounding and not a good reproduction of my guitar's tone. I haven't really auditioned the larger Acoustasonic models and I'm satisfied with my Peavey. I found that is was a little shrill, so I play it with the front facing the wall. The overall tone sounds better to me and there's no "beam", so my all players get the same volume instead of the players in the "beam" getting blasted while the others get a low volume.

10. Merglet

Merglet Strat-Talker

If it weren't for the mic component, I'd highly recommend the Boss Katana 50 as one big enough to grow into. The acoustic channel on the 100 sounds really good, I'd assume the same about the 50.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

What you want, is a lush tone and sound that's rich and flattering, making her want to keep at it. It starts with the guitar and pickup, next is a decent DI, then an adequate amp capable of good tone without feedback. Hundreds of options and combinations, many of which are mediocre at best. One excellent formula is, a Baggs pickup, with a Baggs Pari DI, into a quality name brand acoustic amp with an 8" speaker that takes a mic on a second channel. $300 for the pickup and install, $200 for the DI, and $400 for the amp would be a minimum budget. Scared off yet? ;)

newplayeroldguy and Silvercrow like this.
  12. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

Glen used a Twin. I say get a Twin. :D

13. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

I'll +100 for the AER! BEST acoustic amp I ever laid ears on!

But I didn't want to spend the $1100.00 (at the time) so I got a Genz Benz Shenandoah.

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2145&sid=420&cid=94

Compared favorably with the AER. Much less money.

SERIOUSLY great tone, versatility. Mine even had a spring loaded tilt-back device that laid flat against the bottom of the amp when not in use. Check one out- you'll see I ain't woffin'!

Best wishes!
    Brian

14. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Boss just put our some really cool acoustic amps with mic input, great for coffee shop gigs. And Fishman units are also really good - a friend has one that he also uses his PRS along with his acoustic (and mandolin) through, sounds great and he gigs with it a lot.

15. Shelby

Shelby Strat-Talker

16. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

The fishman acoustic amps sound good and have a mic plug. The acoustisonic 90 that i heard sounded ok too. She might get by with a mixer and powered speaker, thats what a lot of folks do here

kchurch and newplayeroldguy like this.
  17. d801hme

d801hme Strat-Talker

I’ve played a few of the Fishman Loudbox amps, used them for vocs a couple times too, really great sounding little amps.

18. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

thanks for the input guys

after reading your thoughts and looking at the old budget, it's going to be a Fishman

Shelby and gjohnson441496 like this.
  19. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

I have a Marshall AS50D combo with a 2x8 plus tweeter. Yup, Marshall acoustic. Two channels with instrument jacks on both channels AND an XLR jack on channel 2 for mike input (hence the tweeter) plus an XLR D.I. Out as well as a 1/4" line out jack and an effects loop. Also reverb & chorus available on both channels and phase switch, notch filter switch, and frequency control to inhibit feedback. The tone produced is really sweet and natural sounding or you can fill it out a bit with the reverb/chorus. The D.I. out works great for pushing the signal to an audio interface if you don't want to mike the guitar. The only slightly quirky thing is that that while there is an aux in, it is in the form of L/R phono jacks but all you need is a phono to stereo 3.5mm adapter, it's just odd to see phono jacks used these days. Anyway, I have only good things to say about this amp. Nice vintage look too (maybe that's why the phono jacks?).
    AS50D.JPG

20. Shelby

Shelby Strat-Talker

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

kchurch likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.