Need An SG Guru's Opinion

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by hellaGNARLY, Jan 15, 2020.

1. hellaGNARLY

hellaGNARLY Strat-Talker

A few years ago, I bought an SG Standard Limited in the Cream finish and that guitar was BEAUTIFUL. Felt just as good and was an absolute breeze to play. Only issue is that I couldn't get the SOB to stay in tune for the life of me. I guess I just got a lemon. I ended up using it as trade collateral for a Fender Custom Shop Strat.

I know Gibson's have been kinda hit and miss since like 2005ish but my question is this...when it comes to RI SG's or Standards, what are generally the best years with regards to quality?

I'm thinking about picking up another SG but I want to get one when the build quality wasn't all over the place. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Can't say if they were more consistent, because I only had one example, but my 2013 was one of the best SGs I ever ran across.

arcticstrat likes this.
  3. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

There is just one SG worthy of consideration...

s-l1600-30.jpg

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've never had any electric guitar not stay in tune with proper setup techniques.....not even a $20 used First Act.....

5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Was the tuning problem primarily D and G strings ?.... Common for Gibson headstocks.

Find an Epiphone SG G-400. They make them in white/cream. You can locate used ones under $350.

6. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

I have no tuning issues at all with my 2019 SG. I had no tuning issues at all with my 2005 Special Faded SG. There were no issues at all with the 2005 but the 2019 suffers from a few dead notes (some F notes) that forces me to grip the neck differently in order to mitigate them.

Dead notes are apparently not uncommon on SG's and are caused by the very long unsupported neck attached to a very light body. Tuning issues can be caused by the headstock, by the long slender neck or by the neck joint. I've heard stories about necks falling off the bodies due too too little glue in the joint, don't know if they are true. Tuning issues can also be caused by the grip around the neck. As the neck is long, mostly unsupported and with a weak neck joint gripping it too tightly and applying pressure will very easily bend it out of tune, even tilting the guitar forwards or backwards will temporarily knock it out of tune.

So my advice are these: Never buy an SG without playing it first.

Make sure you check for dead notes, especially around the 12th fret.

Read up on neck joints, there are several different depending on model and year, some are larger with better support and some are ridiculously small.

There are different neck profiles, if you are have a tight grip, choose one of the beefier necks.

Having said all that I'll just end with saying that I love my SG to death.

arcticstrat and hellaGNARLY like this.
  7. hellaGNARLY

hellaGNARLY Strat-Talker

I have a Gibson LP 120 Anniversary Traditional and put in a new bone nut. My guess is that this SG had a bad cut. I set it up and everything...still had problems with it. It was VERY fussy with changes in weather too.

No thanks on the Epiphone.

8. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

My new '61 Standard SG stays in tune fine. (And it's a fabulous guitar.)

My new LP 50's goldtop, however, while being awesome, has the usual Gibson issues with the G and B strings not holding tune. If I can't resolve it, I'll have a tech check the nut. As everyone says, that's usually the culprit.

Dick Blackmore and arcticstrat like this.
  9. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Senior Stratmaster

Man, I’ve got an SG and love it. It’s my main guitar. If I were you, I’d take it to a reputable guitar tech, and tell him the situation. You’ll love it once you get it fixed. They’re Gibson’s best selling guitar ever, for a reason.

arcticstrat and Cerb like this.
  10. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

I have a 2010 SG Special and it would never hold tune until I filed the nut correctly, now it's perfect. ENJOY!!!

arcticstrat likes this.
  11. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

I got mine used off Reverb. It has a fairly chunky neck and is very stable.

arcticstrat and Cerb like this.
  12. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Nice but no .. This is the only sg s any one needs.
    [​IMG]

13. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The SG’s neck pickup is my fav. on that guitar at the moment (w/ AlNico V).
    [​IMG]

Tone Guru and Cerb like this.
  14. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

The Gibson SGs are no different than any other guitar, even Fenders, in regards to staying in tune. If a proper setup has been done on them, including nut work and bridge, saddles, and intonation, they will stay in tune as well as any other guitar. Also, humidity and temperature play a big part in staying in tune. So if your guitar is going out of tune while it’s just sitting there from day to day, check for temp and humidity fluctuations.

Also, you’ll see lots of complaints from second hand owners of these instruments, or do-it-yourselfers, that watch a YouTube video and now consider themselves a luthier. While it’s not rocket science it does take time, practice, and patience to become proficient in doing proper setups.

As far as build quality goes, most all modern Gibson SGs are good, no year is really any better than the others. Of course there are lemons here and there just like in the Strat world as well. My two favorite electrics are the Fender Stratocaster and the Gibson SG. I have many of each and they comprise a large portion of my 50+ guitar collection. None of them have tuning issues at all and stay in tune for long periods of time.

And for the record, any year ‘61 Reissue (1992-2012) will be a great year. 2003 and down will have the ABR-1 style bridge, while the ones produced later will have the Nashville bridge (allows for more intonation adj). My ‘61 Reissue is a 2005 and is one of the best playing and sounding SGs that I’ve owned.

So grab an SG of your choice. My personal preference are the Standards and it’s variants. If buying used, just look them over real good and take the general precautions that you normally would when purchasing any used instrument. ;)

Neil.C, Stratwrangler and Cerb like this.
  15. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Ahhhh... the 2013

[​IMG]

Neil.C, fos1, hellaGNARLY and 2 others like this.
  16. Cerb

Mine has twice as many pickups!

Yours looks great though.

[​IMG]

Neil.C, fos1, Groovey and 2 others like this.
  17. Stratwrangler

Very nice Cerb , are you training your plants not to cross that White line ;)

RHL87 and Cerb like this.
  18. Cerb

That's the no go zone for snails.

No, that's the girlfriend plotting a new flower bed, AKA me bringing out the power tools.

RHL87 and Stratwrangler like this.
  19. Stratwrangler

Ah ok , what colour do you call yours ?

Cerb likes this.
  20. Stratwrangler

Not the girl friend the guitar :D

RHL87 and Cerb like this.