Need brighter preamp tube

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by jaybones, Dec 21, 2018.

1. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

My recently added Bugera Infinium V5 is very dark sounding. I'd like to replace the 12AX7 with a brighter tube.

I've heard there's another tube, possibly a military tube that is a drop in with a brighter tone.

Any recomendations?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

It's not the preamp tube that makes that amp dark. Do a google search of "Tweaking the Bugera V5" and you find a long thread. It's a simple fix.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tweaking-the-bugera-v5-circuit.457895/

Now............... queue up the Bug haters. Wait for it ................ wait.................

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    abnormaltoy and Triple Jim like this.
  3. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules!

Yep hate em

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

I've got one of those amps and I don't find it to be all that dark--but your ears and mine are different.

I do think the speaker kind of sucks. Hook it up to a cabinet (it wants 4 ohms) and the sound will be dramatically different. I strongly suggest doing this before you decide the preamp tube is the problem. When I hooked mine up to the speakers in a 2x12 Fender SS Princeton Chorus, I couldn't go back to the stock speaker.

johnnymg and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

turn the treble up?

abnormaltoy and Triple Jim like this.
  6. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

There are the 12au7 or the 5751 tubes that are cleaner and brighter sounding.

Namelyguitar and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

Tone knob (singular) is all the way up, I have an EQ pedal and octave (up only) and it still isn't what I think it should be.

Granted some pups sound better than others- gray back single coils in my '76 hardtail natural sound decent, as do my Lace Sensor Reds. The Hot Golds are a hot mess. My Blacktop HB's are OK, and the Washburn Tele copy sounds pretty good.

And I'm aware of that jumper fix, just thought while its still under warranty a tube switch wouldn't violate it.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  8. heltershelton

jaybones, ive used a bunch of new production tubes. i guess im not old enough to know anything about the old tubes.....but it is my opinion that it doesnt really matter what new production tubes you use.....to me they all do the same thing. of course i dont have dogs ears like SOME PEOPLE. seriously.....get some tubes and mess with your bass, middle, and treble knobs.

abnormaltoy, johnnymg and Triple Jim like this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I am old enough and it still doesn't matter. Much, that is... I can sometimes tell a difference when overdriving a power tube, but not so much between brands as between type, like different versions of a 6L6 (-GCA -WGB for example). @johnnymg said it... in general it's not the tubes, but the circuit the tubes are in that matters.

10. johnnymg

I've experimented with different tubes in my T5 (head version) and there was minimal change in tone. The JJ 12AX7 was the best overall (lowest noise) but the tone dif was minor. The lower gain tubes won't change the tone or the overall headroom (clean volume). They just lower the front end gain.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. Fatmaninthebath

Fatmaninthebath Strat-Talker

Try running through a good compressor

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. heltershelton

when i hear people say" there was such a huge difference between the sovtek 12ax7 and the tung sol 12 ax7, i wonder if theres something wrong with my ears.....and then i realize that person is full of horse manure.

13. johnnymg

I'm a tube neophyte but that's been my general experience when dealing with recent name brand tubes. However, tubes are a nightmare from a consistency standpoint so I'm sure there are some 'dogs' woofing about.

Now when it comes to guitar pedals I found that alkaline batteries are monster tone suckers. I only use 'vintage' 9 volt batteries now and my tone is to die for. :whistling:

Screen Shot 2018-12-21 at 9.17.34 PM.png

14. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

I try to not even step on bugs...they have their place in this world.

johnnymg likes this.
  15. heltershelton

please step in the long line of people who owe me new laptops. thanks pal....you made me spew beer everywhere

16. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules!

hey he asked for it;) By the way remember I play the o so loved Blooze Jr :rolleyes:

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

A friend of mine thinks he can hear a difference depending on which end of his guitar cable is in the amp and which is in the guitar, so he marks them. He got that from a mentor who does it. I had to dig a little to find how that got started, but it's bogus of course. Apparently there are some guitar cables that use a ground wire and a signal wire, with a shield over both of them like a balanced mic cable, with the shield grounded at only one end, and that end needs to be at the amp. The catch is that this type is just a gimmick anyway, and isn't as good as the usual shielded single conductor.

Oops... drifting here...

johnnymg likes this.
  18. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

Got one.

19. CountryGent

CountryGent Strat-Talker

Maybe I'm sightly off topic. There's some interesting (valuable) comments here. Anyway, some time ago I bought a Peavey combo, to my ears it sounded dull so I modded it. And yet I know of some people who think it has too much top! Same amp circuit, same speaker so what goes on?
    All I can think of is, it depends who's paying, it reminds me of the old Hi-Fi reviews where the "must have" was solid gold mains power connectors as the Jurnos insisted they gave... well, ya'll know the hyperbole they like to use.

20. franklyn13

franklyn13 Strat-Talker

try a TELEFUNKEN OR BUGLE BOY 12A#7 (real one not copy)...they are the brightest I've come across...oh...NOS SYLVANIA's are pretty bright 2