Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Need help choosing a good set of pickups for my play style!!

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by jimmybusch, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jimmybusch

jimmybusch New Member!

Dec 3, 2017
    New York
    I have a 2013 mim strat and Im looking to upgrade the pickups but Im not sure what the best option would be for my play style. I play mainly alt metal and grunge. Bands like Soundgarden, AIC, Chevelle, Tool etc. Im trying to get a sound closest to tool and chevelle, pretty much I just need pickups that are good for rock!! Looking for a good set of single coils. Thanks!

2. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    I would go with either a Dimarzio Super Distortion humbucker in the bridge..... or the single coil version depending on your bridge pickup cavity route.

3. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Do you want true single coils, or single coil sized humbuckers (what I would recommend)? If you want actual single coil pickups, they would be pretty hot, but also pretty dark.

Nate D likes this.

4. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    If you like the Strat tone go with slightly hotter pickups. I’m playing a lot of metal on my Predator and I can say from experience you don’t need humbucker in a single coil clothing ;). Rose pickups Buff beauty will get you there on the inexpensive side around $75 for the whole set. I would choose non staggered pickups. Check also Seymour Duncan Hot Strat pickups to get the idea. Chris Cornell had relatively weak Filertron’s his whole career and nobody was saying that those pickups sound horrible:whistling:

Nate D likes this.

5. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    mim pickups would be just perfect. No need to change.

rich815 and Tomas83 like this.

6. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Both Dimarzio and Duncan have excellent choices for single coil sized humbuckers. As mentioned, the Super Distortion is a can't miss option, and I'm seriously considering trying some Duncan Hot Rails in my own Strat. Hit YouTube for pickup demos.

7. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

Jerry Cantrell's signature guitar has a Seymour Duncan '59 humbucker in the neck position and a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge slot, just for reference

Nate D likes this.

8. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    The Superhawk that Jerry usually plays is only having the JB in the bridge

9. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

Yes, his Rampages are single pickup guitars with JB bridge humbuckers. The Superhawk is a 2-pickup model. While both are available as Jerry Cantrell Signature models, he does usually play 1-pickup Rampages. But if I'm putting pickups in a Strat, I at least want something in the neck position.

Textele likes this.

10. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    You are right I’m getting their names mixed up :) when I saw AIC live that Rampage was sounding really good. I think I could go both ways with or without the neck pickup. One of the best sounding guitars I played was a 70’s SG jr with a P90 in the bridge and you could get usable neck kinda tones by rolling of the tone a bit.

Willie D likes this.

11. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    For that kind of stuff you might want to look into Lace Sensors... They'll completely remove the classic single coil Strat jangle but great for modern rock saturated sounds.

Jigawatt likes this.

12. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    Maybe I’m a minority here but I don’t think you have to take the high output route necessarily. Many of these guys have vintage instruments and pups in the same spirit which IMO hold the real versatility of strats or Lester’s. Yeah maybe you can check out something with a little more output but something really high gainish is more specific. Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam still uses PAF style humbuckers in Guitars’s and Mc ready has a vintage strat with all original parts (that includes pups). Kim Thayill of soundgarden uses the stock pickups on his guild guitars and yeah some have dimarzio super distortions on them but his main ones have the stock pickups.
    I love and play the music you mentioned but never got to a point where I tough that I needed something super high gainish. I play a lot of styles of rock and use pre cbs voiced pups on my strat and in my humbucker guitars PAF.
    IMO you just need a pickup upgrade but not a drastic change in direction lace sensors are a good option because doesn’t change the character of the strat that much, not my favorite but they retain some of the strat character while giving more possibilities. Maybe the HSS is just the way to go for you and just getting a humbucker for the bridge could open up possibilities like a JB as mentioned before. But what I would really do for the neck and middle is to get some alnico 5 pups with around 6.4k neck and 6.5 middle. There are plenty of builders depending on your budget but you just can’t go wrong with this choice.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 7:46 AM

13. rich815

rich815 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Exactly.