Join Strat-Talk Today

Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratowner, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Stratowner

Stratowner New Member!

When my brother passed away I took possession of his Fender Stratocaster.

It's made in the USA with a sn E324428. From what I've been able to find out it's 1983???? and is called a Revised Stratocaster Standard. I could be wrong.

My dilemma is that it only has one Volume and One tone knob and a five position switch and NO Tremolo bar and no place for one in addition the Jack is a vertical not on on a slant. When I last played guitar I had a 64 Strat ( I foolishly sold it) so that's my only comparison.

A local guitar shop told me it was the WORST Stratocaster ever made and was worth only $150-200 bucks.

I don't care what it's worth as it's not for sale but I find it hard to believe my brother who was an accomplished Guitarist and a studio musician would ever own a piece of crap. He owned a lot of guitars so maybe this was just a beater.

Any help would be appreciated. Honesty and Bluntness is MUCHLY appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

1983 revised Standard Stratocaster. Manufactured from 1983-85. They were introduced after they fazed out the Dan Smith strat. I havent owned or played one so i cant comment on anything more.

[​IMG]

3. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

For what I know, it was'nt their best period, but it's bull$**** saying it worths only $150.
    The neck, pickups and playability is very good. It's just that this kind of configuration for a Strat is quite unusual to these days, but it does'nt make her a bad guitar.

4. FullertonRed

FullertonRed Strat-Talk Member

Hi, I don't own one myself, but a couple of thoughts. First, just because the shop owner/worker you spoke to thinks this guitar is crap doesn't mean it really is. [My sense, frankly, is that it's probably worth at least 5X what this person told you]. Have a look on sites like ebay to see what other 83's are going for. A guitar's price/value is not always a reflection of its quality, by the way. Cheap guitars can be fantastic, if set up and played well.

On the 83/84 USA Standard Strats, opinions seem to fall into two camps: some think it was a huge mistake by Fender, a low point of the CBS era; others think it was a great guitar that mellows with age. From what I've seen/heard [online], it can be pretty amazing guitar. Here's a video of a very similar 84 Strat that might help:

YouTube - 1984 Fender Stratocaster USA "two knob"

The most important thing is to play the guitar yourself and decide on your own whether you like it or not.

5. Stratowner

Stratowner New Member!

Thanks guys. TonyW that looks exactly like mine. While I haven't played in 30 years I am going to start again. Is this the only Strat without a Tremolo?

Maybe the guy said it was a lousy guitar, looking to get a good deal. Who knows.

I'll let you know what I think when I'm competent again. Used to be able to play All of Santana and early Ritchie Blackmore (my guitar hero) doubt if the old fingers will allow that anymore but despite it's age I'm sure my old Fender Super Reverb Amp will make it sound okay if I do my part.

6. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

I had an 83. It was the same style looked like the one below.
    [​IMG]
    as you can see it is the same as yours (except for the paint job of course)
    It is a variation of the elite strat really. the bridge is a bit different that requires a special tremolo bar that are next to impossible to find now. the freeflyte tremolo. I still have mine somewhere but I don't have the guitar anymore the body got lost in shipping... I digress...
    the tremolo arm has small outcroppings that fit into the bridge. My explanation is crap but here is a pic
    [​IMG]
    the angle is bad but you can see on the bridge where you insert the arm there are two slots. the tremolo arm has small wings that will fit in here.
    Now finding a replacement arm might be a btich. but I found one and it is a rip off. if you want it you gotta bend over and take it like a little girl... but here is the link Guitarcheology Vintage Guitar Parts | Fender Stratocaster Freeflyte Tremolo Arm
    generally around 83 or so the stuff fender was putting out was crap. not as bad as the early to mid 70s crap but crap never the less. I liked the bowling ball I had but that was a long time ago and I think I was more inclined to like it because the way it looked rather than the way it played. I have since had the opportunity to buy 3 other blowing ball strats (i.e. 83-84) and I only considered it becuase of the paint job. all played like Shti. might have been just bad luck or they just needed to be set up properly but I passed on all of them.

as for the pawn shop guy that told you it was crap, well if I was trying to buy it off you I would tell you it was crap as well to try and get a lower price. that sounds like just tactics to me. but you said you arent interested in selling it so the resale price isnt an issue.

it could be a great guitar who knows, if you are interested in playing again then just set it up or have it set up and after a while you will know if it is a decent guitar or not.

[​IMG]

7. Stratowner

Stratowner New Member!

Thanks Boof

From what your saying I'm starting to think my brother changed the bridge
    as the one on mine has no place for a tremolo bar as described in you diagram. In addition it has a five position switch not the three i keep reading about.

By the way, it seems to be set-up nicely as when I connect it to a ZOOM effects unit and my own Fender Super Reverb (don't no why I kept it) it sounds good to me. In the end that's all that matters.

8. boof

boof Senior Stratmaster

sounds good to me...

9. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

I'm pretty sure that '83 strats did come in a hardtail version (so yours could be original) and the 5 way switch was the standard fare. At least this what I percieved from reading the '83 manual.

Hope you enjoy the guitar and please never sell it for $150, that dude was yanking your chain.

10. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

+1 on that! $150-200 was a ridiculous valuation. They were basically the same guitar as the Dan Smith model except to save money Fender put the jack socket on the pickguard and used the "Freeflyte" Trem which didn't require much routing. Am glad you're going to keep it!

11. Gree

Gree Strat-Talker

Sorry to hear about your brother, I lost my brother in Viet Nam ,1969,and still have his
    '55 Gibson Les Paul Gold he wanted me to take care of while he was gone...........They probably didnt make to many of that 83 Strat model and it could be quite rare.....the dude at the shop knew it and was trying to dupe you.....Hang on to it for ever...........
    Its Priceless !!

12. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Strat-O-Master

83 Strat

You guys are on a topic near and dear to my heart. Having owned and played an 83 "Revised Edition Strat" since it was almost new I have grown tired of hearing that this guitar is crap (90% of which comes from folks who have never owned or played one) to the point of nausea.

This guitar was a cost cutting effort introduced by Dan Smith himself (then marketing director of Fender) in an effort to combat the influx of high quality Japanese copies then flooding the market.

The changes were:

1. Free Flyte bridge - eliminating the need for rear routing.

2. One tone one volume knob.

3. Flush mount output jack.

Nothing else on the guitar was changed. In fact the "Revised Edition" was produced in the same Fullerton factory, by the same production line employees, using the same quality materials, and at the same time as the venerable and highly sought after "Dan Smith Era" guitars and, (other than these cosmetic changes) they are the same identical guitars. There is no real world or quantitative difference between the two. If one is crap then so must be the other. The truth however is that they are both great guitars.

The facts are:

1. If having only two knobs makes a Fender guitar crap then it would have to be said that all Teles are crap.

2. If having a flush mounted output jack makes a guitar crap then 90% of all guitars in the world are crap.

3. Although it is true that the "Free Flyte Bridge" does present some stability problems that is also true of all trem bridges.
    In fact most guitarists don't use them for that reason and simply block them off and forget them. In your case you have a hard tail so it doesn't matter anyway. By the way, yes they absolutely were produced in a hard tail version.

So why have so many people called this guitar crap for so many years. The answer goes back to when the guitar was first introduced. I can remember how ticked off many hard core Strat players were that their bench mark guitar had been modded. They felt betrayed by Fender. The rest of the story has to do with the perpetuation of an ill informed and biased rumor mill compounded by certain so called (Strat Purists) and has gone on for far to long.

The good news is that over the last ten years or so things have been changing. I now see more and more posters from the guitar community defending the "Revised Edition" as being a terrific guitar. Ebay prices have sky rocketed from about $400-500 ten years ago to as much as $1200-1700 at present for a mint or near mint example. Due to the limited quantities made it appears that the "Revised Edition" is on the cusp of becoming a vintage collectable.

The pawn broker you spoke with is an evil liar and will get his just rewards in the nether regions of Hades.

It is wonderful that you have something so special to remember your brother with. He obviously was a very smart guy and evidently new his guitars quite well. Enjoy it and rest assured that it's a treasure.

Here's mine

www.myspace.com/dawiklund

Attached Files:

• B.jpg
      B.jpg
      File size:
      69.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  13. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

when i was shopping recently I played several strats. i played an 83. i researched the guitar online. i learned the story. they were asking 900 for it. it played very well. as good if not better than any of the ones I tried. it was very worn. so I decided to find something in better condition.
    once again, a very, very nice guitar!
    cherish it.

14. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

In relative terms I don't think this model will ever be worth anything like the '64 you sold is now worth. I am pleased to hear you kept your Super Reverb. Keep an eye on the Capacitors in that amp.

I am fairly certain that if your brother chose to keep this example, it is probably a better than average example. It is true this model was excoriated for being rubbish at one time but the same thing was said about early CBS era guitars and they're found a market.

Frankly, since you're not intending to part with it, your only need for an assigned value would be to insure it. Find out what your insuror expects of you, and do that. These are not especially rare guitars.

I note that while the store was happy to tell you the guitar was worth next to nothing, he was trying to buy it away from you anyway. What does that tell us?

15. Strat Mad

Strat Mad New Member!

Revised Strat

I Have just been reading these posts that where obviously put on quite a long time ago.. I Have owned one of these Revised edition Strats from new .. i purchased it from the Fender Soundhouse in Soho Square back in the 80s.. i have 4 Fender strats now and i can say without any hesitation that my revised edition strat sounds and plays as good as if not better than my other 3 strats .. anyone who says this it a crap guitar does not have a clue what they are talking about. i hope you kept hold of your brothers guitar because its a class instrument and in time it will be worth a lot of £££££££.

16. antisinglecoil

antisinglecoil Senior Stratmaster

Those are a unique breed of Strats. You either love 'em or hate 'em. BUT it definitely is not worth what that guy said. They're absolutely not a real collector's piece, but in the New England market its probably with $800 retail, $700 street, and $400 trade-in (depending on many factors of course).

17. Stratowner

Stratowner New Member!

Just an update on my Strat.

Thanks again for all the info and support.
    I’ve been playing pretty regular since my original post and while it makes me regret selling my 64 i am quite impressed.
    I wouldn’t call myself anywhere near the guitarist my brother was as I can’t read music so I play by ear. However with all the stuff on you tube it’s actually easy to learn new stuff ,wish that existed 40 years ago. LOL
    But again thanks to you all

AxemanVR likes this.
  18. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Ten years between posts now thats impressive lol

CDox likes this.
  19. CDox

CDox Strat-Talk Member

20. CDox

CDox Strat-Talk Member

Just noticed what @Stratwrangler said. I’m a little late to this party.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.