Need help with a new guitar choice

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Aqueix, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Aqueix

Aqueix Strat-Talk Member

So there is two guitars I'm trying to choose from. The first one being a Jagstang the other a CV Mustang. I'm at around 700 bucks saved up and I'm not sure if I should keep saving for the Jagstang or should I just buy the mustang and upgrade it with the remaining cash left over. I really do like the Jagstang in its looks and sound but is it really much better then a modded squier CV Mustang? Please let me know what you would buy in my situation. Thanks in advance

3bolt79, Scott Baxendale and Jesse414 like this.
  2. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

All I can offer is if you have a chance to try them in a store go with the one that feels and sounds best to you. Let you inner happy meter decide.

Mr_10awg, 3bolt79, stormsedge and 4 others like this.
  3. Aqueix

Aqueix Strat-Talk Member

Well thats one of the main issues, both are unavailable in my whole state to tryout

4. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Get the one you truly want.

No compromising. Compromise with other people, not with yourself.

Mr_10awg, 3bolt79, Groovey and 4 others like this.
  5. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Senior Stratmaster

I mean, I'd go with the mustang, but only because I like those and I think the jags tang is ugly. Its about what you want though!

nickmsmith likes this.
  6. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

I have found that every time I compromise I end up just obsessing about the thing I really wanted.

7. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Go with what you really want.

Personally I think the Jagstang is hideous but you obviously have some Curt Cobain love going on.

However if you order one and don't get on with it at least you can send it back.

Mr_10awg, 3bolt79 and nickmsmith like this.
  8. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-Talker

I'd go with the more affordable Mustang.

9. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

Well I guess that I would go with the Jagstang. If you buy the CV and spend money modifying it, it will still be a CV - Mustang.

3bolt79 and RadioFM74 like this.
  10. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Don’t waste money on upgrades. Learn to find what is special about the guitar you purchase and make that the sound you like. A cow don’t make ham and it never will as Frank Zappa said. If you want the sound of the Jagstang then buy that and don’t assume that you can make something else into that it isn’t. I’ve seen plenty of customers waste so much money on upgrades that they basically end up spending enough money to have two guitars by throwing more cash into just having one.

Neil.C, Justin226, Caedarn and 2 others like this.
  11. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I am not familiar at all with the two models you're considering.
    I do share the view of the others who said: if there's one you really want, and it's not unattainable, get that one. Maybe you can find one used?
    There's also a "value" thing to consider: if you get a low-budget guitar, sink a lot of money in it for mods, then sell it… it will still sell for the price of a (used) low budget guitar.

jrbirdman and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

if you can not try it 1st make sure you can return it.

25 years ago i tried a few dozen guitars. i wanted to get back into playing after a long break and wanted the easiest to play guitar i could find - i did not know i could adjust anything at that time.

anyway, i went crazy and spent 1200 on a used prs. my friends laughed at me for buying it.

but i still have it, have refretted it twice, and have no desire to replace or upgrade it.

so i saved a fortune buying "the one". but i was also sure it was for me and not fantasy or advertising.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

The guitars are different in neck profile and pickup configuration. So, I don't think you can make the CV like the JagStang at all, at least not at a reasonable cost. I think you should consider some other options like the Squier Contemporary Jaguar HH, Squier Paranormal Super-Sonic, Fender Player Duo-Sonic HS or even the Squier Bullet Mustang HH.

As for modding, if this is something you like to do yourself for the fun of it or to learn how to work on guitars, then it might be worthwhile, especially if you start with a relatively inexpensive used guitar. I don't think it would be a good idea to pay someone else to do the work or to buy expensive premium parts for the cheap guitar mods.

14. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Jagstang.

15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

All I can say is: but from a dealer that has a hassle free return policy. Play it. If it’s not exactly what you want, return it. My last two new Fenders have been regrettable purchases, and I waited too long to want to return them.

for 700 bucks, it should be exactly what you want.

RadioFM74, 3bolt79 and Neil.C like this.
  16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Senior Stratmaster

I would save up for the Jag-stang if that was what a wanted. The Mustang can never be modded to the Jag-stang configuration.

Have patience and get what you prefer.

Caedarn likes this.
  17. Aqueix

Aqueix Strat-Talk Member

update: I pulled some strings and was able to order the jagstang, ill let you guys know if I dig it or not

Mr_10awg, stormsedge and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

The blue one

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats, and fingers crossed for you. Remember to post a NGD thread with all the mandatory pics and nerdy details ;D