Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Need ideas or input for setting up home band/practice space

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by edsdds, Nov 26, 2017.

1. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

Aug 9, 2015
    Minnesota
    Many years ago my wife and I had a band. I still have guitars and play them but her huge drum kit is still in California. My kids are pretty musically inclined with daughter playing ukulele that she learned on her own.

I would love to have a small setup that won’t bother the entire neighborhood. I think a small bass amp would be easy and my guitar stuff is covered. However the drum setup I just don’t know what to do. ? Ideal setup is just a kick, tom, snare, hats and cymbal. But is small acoustic set the only option? What about a good electric kit that doesn’t run a fortune and isn’t space consuming ?

Is there a way that we can have all electric with everting plugged into one mixer ? Like small processor amps then all into one mixer and out of one set of speakers including mikes ? For example my Yamaha thr5 sounds great and maybe some like that for bass.

I’m just trying to go with space saving and not having a bunch of 50watt tube amps and about 40 cables running through the place. Surely with technology changes in past 20 years there has to be a compact way of doing this without loosing quality sound ?

And sorry if this is in the wrong forum please move if necessary.

2. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Some drummers can’t stand electric kits. As much as they may try, they don’t feel and respond like acoustic drums. If she doesn’t mind an electric kit, great, but chances are she’ll be missing her wooden kit and you may need to go down to the supermarket dumpster and fish out a few hundred egg cartons.

3. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    If you get the fancy digital kit the pads are much better feeling, sound is okay.

As for sound abatement - egg cartons diffuse the sound a bit, but I saw a test of materials on YouTube that had the surprising result that towels are among the best performing sound absorbers if you do four layers or so, very even across the frequencies and dampens a lot of sound.

However I went out and found some cheap Chinese made moving blankets at $13 each for 5x7 feet - hung on simple wood 1x2 frames - and was amazed how effective they were.

Vjerilood and Robins like this.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    The elephant in the room is the sound control issue. I think that's the first issue that has to be resolved.

5. edsdds

edsdds Strat-Talker

Aug 9, 2015
    Minnesota
    Well as far as sound goes couldn’t it be like a Yamaha thr5, similar type bass amp, electric drum kit , keyboard, and mics all into a powered mixer ? The thing is what kind of mixer could that that’s not a thousand dollars and is there a simple electronic drum kit that goes more for quality versus a million features

6. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    If it were me I'd buy the cheapest digi kit you can get and a little say 8 channel mixer with at least 4 band EQ.You can do a lot with a few tone controls and volume to keep everyone happy.
    A digi kit will never give the feedback to the player of a real kit but as you say you care about your neighbours.

Keep it cheap at first.It's the,"Players" not the money ;-)

7. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    How big is the space and where is it located?