Need opinions on a 1984 Tokai Goldstar Sound

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by gilbertstrat902, Jun 26, 2018.

1. gilbertstrat902

gilbertstrat902 New Member!

Hi everyone, first post here.
    I'm looking for your opinions on a 1984 Tokai Goldstar Sound Strat that I may have the opportunity to purchase. First of all, I'd like to verify that it is indeed a Goldstar Sound of this vintage. The owner says that it was refinished by the previous owner, the machine heads and pickguard were replaced, and the pickups were replaced with what look to me like active EMGs.
    The guitar is said to be in good working order. Is there anything that I should look out for with this guitar, any other parts that appear to be non-original? The tweed case is also included, is there anyway to verify that it's the original case? I've attached the photos that I have of the guitar.

What do you think would be a good price to pay for this guitar? The refinish looks fairly mediocre to me which I imagine will drop the resale value, but i'm not sure buy how much. Keep in mind that i"m in Canada.

Thanks in advance for your help, any info is apreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Looks to me like everything and i mean everything has been changed on this Tokai:thumbd:

It is refinished it almost looks as though it has been painted with a roller?

edit okay i read your post and answered my ?

Welcome to Strat Talk....

3. gilbertstrat902

Thanks for the feedback. Is there anything you see that appears to be replaced apart from what i mentioned in the original post?

4. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I think "mediocre" paint jobs everywhere may line up to sue you for libel

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I wouldn't touch that with a very long bargepole.

Elvie likes this.
  6. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

Even the headstock decal looks questionable---I might think about it for $100

Elvie likes this.
  7. gilbertstrat902

What looks off about the decal? I assumed the border around the logo was the finish on the neck fading around it.

8. hippychip

hippychip Strat-Talker

If the decal was under the finish as it should be it would not be darker than the rest of the headstock.

9. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talker

For whatever reason, the decals on the Tokai Goldstar Sound guitars is not done as neatly as on the other models. I have a couple on hand, one from 1984, and the decals look like the OP’s. The decals should lacquered over, but don’t look so from a distance. Tokai Goldstar decals are not easy to find or fake. The neck plate and serial number look right.

10. Rigel42

Rigel42 Strat-Talker

I like it! It's not a 70's Tokai Springy Sound and you're going to need to refinish it (and I would replace the pickups / pick guard) but you can negotiate that into the price. That said you might be able to get a nice vintage Tokai for like $300 - $400. I wouldn't pay too much for it, you can use this current add as a bargaining milestone.