Need some '59 Bassman Clone help

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by nfairhurst, Feb 5, 2021.

1. nfairhurst

nfairhurst Strat-Talk Member

Hey dudes, so I have a 5F6A '59 Bassman clone in my possession now. I have had it for a while but just getting around to playing it. It previously belonged to a buddy I had in the Navy and I ended up being given it for a really good deal. He was going to Guam and had way too much stuff to take lol. Anyway... I knew there were a couple issues but I don't think they are that bad. One is the 120 cycle hum. I think it is the filter caps. I am having a tech take a look at it to do a run-down though. The other is 2 of the speakers which is what I am more concerned about. So in one diagonal section are 2 original '59 Jensen speakers. They do not work right now. They are installed and wired correctly but something is going on with them. The cones seem fine. Now 2 questions. First, should I leave them plugged in? The other 2 speakers are working great but I don't know if it will damage the 2 other speakers more? Second, is it really worth it to have someone try and figure out what's going on with them or should I just buy replacement speakers? I would get just modern Jensen speakers like the other 2 but maybe I should look at something different. Thank you.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Get a meter and test them. If they read open...The coils are fried. Recone them.

I have 2 Original blue P10R's. They've been reconed many times. Because they're at best a 10 watt speaker. But they sound glorious.

A 5f6a wants to see a 2 ohm load. With two of them dead...its seeing 4.

93-Strat and CB91710 like this.
  3. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

probably correct, however I have seen the little wire from the speakers terminal strip into the cone come apart

4. nfairhurst

Is that something an amateur could do or should I just take it to a tech? I just played with them plugged in and they have just very low volume. Like only 5-10% of the volume.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Get a meter on them. Disconnect them from each other, because in a real 5f6a they would all be 8 ohm speakers in parallel.

Reconing is a skill. I've done it...many times. Send them to someone who knows how. In good shape, they're worth more than the amp. :)

CB91710 likes this.
  6. nfairhurst

I figured as much. I will take them out. Now would it be safe to play with just the 2 remaining speakers (they are celestion g10 30 watt 80ohm)? I should also tell you on the 2 original '59 speakers they do not make any screeching or hissing or static sounds. They sound fine, just really low volume.

7. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I'd get the fender blue frame AlNiCos that Eminence made. Or a quad of new AlNiCos from Eminence. Those Jensens will pull good money on eBay. Probably pay for all four new ones with change to spare.

P10R'S won't be as "loud" as those Celestion. I'd sell the whole bunch and get four good AlNiCo speakers in there.

8. nfairhurst

I'm going to take a look around. Is it okay to play with just the 2 speakers for now? They are wired together so it connects to just 1 of the 4 speaker input jacks.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I wouldn't...but I'm very conservative when it comes to using the load the amp wants to see.

It shouldn't hurt anything...but you never know.

10. nfairhurst

the speakers are fine!!!! On a whim I switched the wiring from the good speaker to the bad ones. They work perfect! I just need new wires. What do you recommend?

11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Take an old three prong extension chord. Strip the outer casing. Inside there will be three wires. Use the black and white. Cut the lengths you need and solder them up.

CB91710, 93-Strat and Robins like this.