Need some help with Ernie Ball set

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by JP Lace Master, Nov 9, 2020.

1. JP Lace Master

JP Lace Master Strat-O-Master

I like my Ernie Ball sets, such variety, but I still got some custom sets to work out. At the moment I have some Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky sets and am curious as to whether I can add some strings to the set, but am not sure as to what would be better additions. for a higher string; would 8 or 9 be better and for the lowest string would 66, 68 or 70 be the best options. I am not looking to make 7 or 8 strings, but custom sets with higher strings or much lower for Baritones.

2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Short answer is you can make any custom set you want but with all the different sets already out there, most of the leg work has been done to keep them as balanced as possible. Just curious though...what scale length guitar do you have and what tuning you are using?

Stonetone likes this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

.008 if you want to use the highest 5 from the EB set and use the .008" as your highest lightest string....

.068 if you want to use the lowest 5 from the EB set and use the .068" as your lowest heaviest string....

But, the .012 to .068" set would not be able to be tuned E to E standard, it would need a lower tuning......and you may need to enlarge nut slots....

Nate D and Stonetone like this.
  4. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

Going that low in gage will create some problems. Your action for the heavy strings will have to be higher and could cause intonation problems. The over all string tension will be out of balance and could cause neck twist. Have you tried Heavy Bottom Skinny Top style strings.

Nate D likes this.
  5. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Recently tried out these I always used .10. But I’m really liking these

upload_2020-11-9_19-19-21.png

6. JP Lace Master

I got a few of these sets and a pair of guitars to work with. One of them is a Baritone, 27 inch scale and I was thinking Drop C for that one, the heavier gauges and longer scale will suit. The other is a Lefty Squier Tele, standard tuning will work for that. my idea for the Baritone is to lose the 12 gauge and add in a 68 or 70 gauge string. and its the opposite for the Squier, I take away the 56 gauge and add in an 8 or 9. I wonder which of my choices are the more balanced, the 64-72 range is not seen often, so I got to ask around a little.

7. JP Lace Master

I've heard good things about the new Ernie Ball sets and the half gauges. do tell me, do they feel good, well balanced?

8. JP Lace Master

The lower gauged set, especially with the additional 68/70 and losing the 12, will go on a baritone and tuned lower, so the gauges will work out.

9. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Yes they are Quite Nice, Nice and easy Bending, good tone, only thing i dont know is how long they will last

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  10. JP Lace Master

I find Ernies tend to have good staying power and last, as long as you don't mistreat them