Need some wiring advice

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Groovey, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've just about completed this 335 harness. My question is how to install the capacitors on push/pull pots.

The guitar has Golden Age Hot Humbuckers sitting in Seymour's Triple Shot Mounting Ring. With a slide switch on the Triple Shot, I can go from full humbucker to single coil.

I like to use push/pull pots on for tone to activate either .022 caps or .047 . I'm thinking of wiring from the center lug on vol to lug 1 of tone. Then wiring caps as shown. Middle lug of tone is grounded.

Am I seeing this correctly?

20200113_122748.jpg 20200113_122809.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. Groovey

I've been hunting around the interwebs and found this.

20200113_154221.jpg

And I went with it.

20200113_154258.jpg

Still looking for opinions. Yea or nay? Before I fish these through the f holes.

3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Remember, you can twist wires without soldering and just hold the pickups near the strings to test if some crazy tone circuit works

Ive done that when a pickup has a strange resistance on the meter, just to see if she's live

4. Groovey

Right. Thank you. I was jumping ahead. Forgot about that step. Will hook up the pickups tomorrow and check continuity and do the tap test.

vid1900 likes this.
  5. Groovey

I've just wired up some pickups I had laying around. :) Very encouraging results with the tap test. Seems to work just fine. Let's see if I can fish these things through the f holes by lunch.

s5tuart likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

You know about the string and/or tubing trick to get parts through a hollow body into their correct locations?
    If not ... run strings through each of the holes, tie them onto the shafts, pull through straightening out the wire harness as you go, put washers and nuts down the strings to tighten them in place and then remove the strings.

s5tuart and Groovey like this.
  7. Groovey

Yes sir! And thank you. I even had enough tubing to cut it in two. Such good stuff. Two pieces of tube and 4 pieces of string. I didn't get it installed by lunch as I went to town for wood pellets. Easily a two hour trip.

The circuit works like a champ, btw. So now I have 2. 2 guitars in one. Humbuckers with the option to split them. And compatible tone caps for each.

I can't say enough good things about these Bourne pots. It's my first use. Study and smooth is my first impression.