Need to be louder

StratPlus97

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 7, 2016
USA
I have a Traynor YCV20 and I absolutely love it. I started playing with a group of guys once a week with a drummer, bass player, keyboard player and another guitarist. The amp works but sometimes I wish I could be a bit more louder. Would I need a cab to do this? I know NOTHING about them, or what to look for. Will it effect my sound/tone or can I retain it with a cab? Any suggestions on a cab? A specific model and or brand/type?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
There's 2 different ways you can go here and a more efficient speaker with a higher SPL level will not be the full fix I don't think in your situation!

The best and most costly way to go would be to get a used 2-12" cabinet with 16 ohm Drivers wired in parallel for a 8 ohm load and use that inplace of the speaker in the amp at the times when you need the added volume.

Your next choice is since the Traynor has a effects loop you can Y out of that , then go back into the effects loop and then take that Second Y output to feed another amp of whatever size that has a effect loop and then feed that amps effects return jack.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
I have a Traynor YCV20 and I absolutely love it. I started playing with a group of guys once a week with a drummer, bass player, keyboard player and another guitarist. The amp works but sometimes I wish I could be a bit more louder. Would I need a cab to do this? I know NOTHING about them, or what to look for. Will it effect my sound/tone or can I retain it with a cab? Any suggestions on a cab? A specific model and or brand/type?

20 watts tube should be plenty....I used to gig with a Blues Jr with full band and not even mic it.....and that's 15 watts....

Get a compressor pedal.....that will help you sit better in the mix.....

Your amp right now should be able to be CRANKED and drown them out no problem.....I don't get it.....

Is the drummer a super hard heavy hitter and does everyone else play at unreasonable too high volume?

StratPlus97

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 7, 2016
USA
20 watts tube should be plenty....I used to gig with a Blues Jr with full band and not even mic it.....and that's 15 watts....

Get a compressor pedal.....that will help you sit better in the mix.....

Your amp right now should be able to be CRANKED and drown them out no problem.....I don't get it.....

Is the drummer a super hard heavy hitter and does everyone else play at unreasonable too high volume?

Well, it’s not a 20 watt amp, it’s 15. The sweet spot on the amp, for me is not “cranked” so I don’t crank it. I’d rather not just “crank” the amp.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
Well, it’s not a 20 watt amp, it’s 15. The sweet spot on the amp, for me is not “cranked” so I don’t crank it. I’d rather not just “crank” the amp.

That's weird, when a tube amp is cranked it has the best tone IMHO

I used to put my master at like 7 out of 10

Textele

RIP
Silver Member
Oct 10, 2009
Texas

You can find used, 12", class D powered, full range monitors that are usually 1000 watts, very inexpensive.

Slap a SM57 mic in front of your amp and go directly into the powered speaker input, most all of them have a Bass-Middle-Treble adjustment on the back.

Problem solved.

Or you could step up in watts, for the kind of music I play a 15 watter would never cut it. So I understand your dilemma.

Cerb

Anti conformist reformist
Jan 22, 2016
Sweden
Another solution could be to move your amp so it projects better. It's also possible that the rest of the band hear you fine, depending on where you and they stand in relation to your amp.

StratPlus97

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 7, 2016
USA
Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to try a more efficient speaker. What I have now does work, and I feel like I just want a tad more. How about a recommendation for online to buy a speaker?