Need to improve Maple fretboard

Haven42

New Member!
Jan 16, 2022
Ny
I just picked up another strat - its a 2005 American Deluxe in great condition and all the specs exactly what im looking for - love the soft V neck profile. Switching the samarium cobalts for cs 69's. But i do have one issue...as that the fingerboard (maple) sometimes feels "budgy"...not quite sure how to explain...maybe sticky but different...sometimetime just get a jerky vibe when bending or sliding. Anyone know much about this guitar fretboard? Satin finish? Gloss? Should I try super light sandpaper /scotchbrite? Baby powder? Fast fret? Lemon oil? Lighter fluid? Refret? It has medium jumbos. Wax?
I've tried ernieball wonder wipes fret conditioner...works pretty good for about 20 minutes but actually dont typically prefer the wet slippery style stuff anyway.

Anyone else ever have this elusive issue w this guitar? Tips, thoughts?
Thnx much!

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
Zippo fluid if you think it is from dirt and skin oils.
If it's a gloss finish, it can get "grabby", particularly in areas that are not worn in from playing.

It is a sealed finish, maple necks should not be oiled, and I question the value of lubricants like Fast Fret and Finger Ease.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
I just picked up another strat - its a 2005 American Deluxe in great condition and all the specs exactly what im looking for - love the soft V neck profile. Switching the samarium cobalts for cs 69's. But i do have one issue...as that the fingerboard (maple) sometimes feels "budgy"...not quite sure how to explain...maybe sticky but different...sometimetime just get a jerky vibe when bending or sliding. Anyone know much about this guitar fretboard? Satin finish? Gloss? Should I try super light sandpaper /scotchbrite? Baby powder? Fast fret? Lemon oil? Lighter fluid? Refret? It has medium jumbos. Wax?
I've tried ernieball wonder wipes fret conditioner...works pretty good for about 20 minutes but actually dont typically prefer the wet slippery style stuff anyway.

Anyone else ever have this elusive issue w this guitar? Tips, thoughts?
Thnx much!

Gloss necks tend to be stickier IMO. Good call with the CS69's my fav pickups for a Strat.

Siameser

Strat-Talker
Feb 27, 2021
Muskegon, Michigan
"Spit or pee"? You gotta be kidding. Spit doesn't work, and if it's pee, it has to be from a post pubescent virgin, so good luck with that.

I always wipe my strings off with mineral oil. Which is what lemon oil is...mineral oil with lemon fragrance. Yeah. I use the corner of a piece of paper towel with a little mineral oil on it to clean the strings, make them slinky, and preserve them. If a little gets on the maple fingerboard, fine. Not gonna hurt it, just makes it play better.

Last edited:

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Ok you start with the heart and lungs from two sluts. Mix in some eye of newt. A pinch of demon powder. Urine of unicorn. A couple of sea monkeys, and some used corn.
Mix that up in a blender and drink it down.
You wont care how anything "feels" anymore.

J-Mart

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 17, 2020
Tx
Ok you start with the heart and lungs from two sluts. Mix in some eye of newt. A pinch of demon powder. Urine of unicorn. A couple of sea monkeys, and some used corn.
Mix that up in a blender and drink it down.
You wont care how anything "feels" anymore.
I've known couple of heartless sluts. They wouldn't apply here, huh? Lmao

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
Nose grease. :)

There is a thread on Acoustic Guitar Forum about keeping fingertips soft enough to play without pain but not have such hard tips that the strings roll out from under them. One poster said he rubs his finger tips on the side of his nose to keep them from drying and getting too hard. And I thought ST had crazies. :D

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
There is a thread on Acoustic Guitar Forum about keeping fingertips soft enough to play without pain but not have such hard tips that the strings roll out from under them. One poster said he rubs his finger tips on the side of his nose to keep them from drying and getting too hard. And I thought ST had crazies. :D

I heard the nose grease thing in a Roy Buchanan interview. I've been doing it for 50 years. Forehead grease works in a pinch. LoL

J-Mart

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 17, 2020
Tx
I’ve done it to keep a grip on picks but never tried it on fretting fingers. I’ll have to try it out.
I heard the nose grease thing in a Roy Buchanan interview. I've been doing it for 50 years. Forehead grease works in a pinch. LoL
never heard the interview you mentioned, kinda figured this out way back in my greasy teen years. Lol. Works on those cold, dry outdoor gigs.

Colnago1

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 2, 2014
Where am I?
Give the fretboard a good coat or two of carnauba wax and it’ll get rid of that stickiness. Even coat the back of the neck too and you’ll thank me later.