Need to remove waterslide logo?

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Stratatouille, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Stratatouille

Stratatouille Senior Stratmaster

So I am trying to sell a Telecaster on reverb and I woke up this a.m. and got the following email...

Hi Rick,

Reverb Customer Support here. The following listing from your shop was flagged for issues related to Reverb’s Listing Guidelines:

Our team has temporarily suspended this listing pending edits to address the following:

• Trademark Infringement: The listing contains reproductions of trademarked material. Due to federal trademark law, items containing copies of trademarked logo designs are not permitted on the site. If you would like to sell this item on Reverb, the logo must be physically removed from the item and rephotographed. Obscuring or omitting the logo from appearing in the photos will not qualify, as it must be clearly documented that the infringement has been materially removed.
    To get your listing back onto Reverb, you must first edit the listing and reply directly to this email for review within 30 days. Be sure to read the description of the issue provided above carefully.

Please do not create a new listing for this item, as this action is prohibited and may result in account review or suspension.

Thank you for your attention to this matter - we look forward to hearing from you!

So my question is how can I safely remove the logo? The waterslide logo is on top of the neck (no clear coat) so I am assuming that it can be done? BTW I assembled the guitar and I put the logo on, thought it was ok since it was a licensed neck -live and learn.

Attached Files:

2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Stratatouille

if there is no clear over decal, maybe tweezers could lift it off for you?

bsman and Andrew Wasson like this.
  3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Yes if there’s no clear over the decal then you can just add a bit of water and try to remove with tweezers or just your fingernail really. Should come off pretty easy.

4. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I've never put on a waterslide decal but like Ben says above me, could you dampen it to release the adhesive and lift it with tweezers?

5. Stratatouille

I just tried to get it started with a thin guitar pick and its on there good. Waiting to hear from someone whos has some experience removing one, its a new roasted maple neck and I don not want to damage it.

6. catsandstrats

catsandstrats Strat-Talk Member

Could you blur it in the photos and just reference that it has a “famous brand decal” or something like that? Not sure if that still violates the Reverb rules or not. Just my first wondering.

7. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-Talker

Other than the above who are indicating it is dishonest.. just because any part of a guitar is licensed does not mean it is legal to lie about who made it in order to defraud the buyer. I recently observed someone trying to make their guitar look like another model by painting it differently. So just who are these people trying to deceive by making something look as if it were a more expensive guitar? Themselves? Or are they attempting to deceive their friends? Or are they attempting to deceive a potential customer?

A guitar is simply what it is. I have found Bullet guitars that played as good and sounded as good as Fenders top of the line guitars.I can't fool myself. I know what they are.

My guitars are incredible both in playing and in sound. They haven't any identifying marks on them although all the necks and bodies are very pricey Warmoth components. With no logo on them a thief would probably pass up stealing one of mine for one with a big company brand name on it.

8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

On every new car I ever bought I made the dealer remove any and all identifying info, decals badges, model names, all of it, as a condition of purchase. Ditto any dealer advertising. I knew what my car was and didn't care if anyone else did or not. And no one was paying me to advertise for them.

Hydr0 likes this.
  9. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Total non-sequitur

Andrew Wasson and nutball73 like this.
  10. catsandstrats

catsandstrats Strat-Talk Member

Ah forget it, re-read the rules from the Reverb text you posted above. I didn’t realize they were so persnickety about that kind of thing, I swear I’ve seen listings that did that but maybe I caught them pre-removal. I totally respect their rules but it’s frustrating in your case since I think your posting is super clear about the origin of the parts on the guitar.

11. Chatmanx

Chatmanx Strat-Talk Member

Why not sell it elsewhere? If you state clearly that the neck is not a Fender then it is OK. You just can’t display the image. Don’t show the head in photos, like lots is Squire owners selling “Fenders”, and say that you will send the photo to their email on request.
    Use heat and dampness or use a razor blade as a scrapper to remove waterside.

Stratatouille likes this.
  12. Stratatouille

Didn't try to misrepresent it, I listed every single part of the guitar in the ad. Here is a copy of the reverb ad...

Custom Warmoth/Fender Telecaster:

• Fender Vintera 50s RI Telecaster Body 1950s 2 Tone Sunburst
    • Warmoth 22 Fret 6150 Roasted Maple Neck w/Bone Nut (hand rubbed w/linseed oil)
    • Seymour Duncan 'Little '59™ Tele Set' Mini Humbuckers
    • Sperzel Chrome Locking Tuners Staggered
    • Gotoh Modern Bridge
    • Fender Pure Vintage '50s Reissue 1-Ply 5-Hole Pickguard
    • Premium Wiring, Pots, 3-Way Switch and Input Jack
    • Fender Gig Bag

Best of both worlds -looks like a 50's era Tele and plays like a modern Tele!

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  13. Stratatouille

Well ebay has raised their fees (again) but I do have it 4 sale locally

Nadnitram likes this.
  14. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Before:
    upload_2021-6-14_12-43-58.jpeg

After:
    upload_2021-6-14_12-44-33.jpeg

Sorry. Sometimes I can't help myself.:oops:

Minus Reverb fees and shipping, you might be able to entice a local buyer. That's easy for me to say, though, as I'm located within an easy drive of Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, and Pittsburgh. In this case, what makes Montana good for livin' might make it a challenge when it comes to sellin' gear.

15. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Strat-O-Master

A "little bit" of nail polish remover has worked for me in the past.
    YMMV

16. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Water and time.
    But...a caveat: Too much water and time can damage the clear coat. How much depends on what the clear coat is.

Best solution I think...
    Wet it, let it sit, wipe and then gently rub the decal, repeat.
    More than any, it's the repeated wet/dry cycles that will eventually cause the decal to lift.
    Just be gentle.

nutball73 likes this.
  17. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Absolutely not...
    Nail polish remover is acetone.
    Acetone will dissolve the clear coat...any clear coat.

Guitarmageddon and stratelespaul like this.
  18. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Strat-O-Master

Right you are but the decal(s) I removed in the past were all on raw unfinished headstocks.
    Many Warmoth necks come unfinished and the one here looked to be unfinished( to me).
    Best to all

rolandson likes this.
  19. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

If there is any possibility that your finish is nitro, do not use nail varnish remover!

In my experience they set like glue, so won't just float off - needs an abrasive action.

I'd start by wetting it thoroughly, and rubbing hard with your thumb to see if you can get it to rub through. Don't use fingernails or you risk scratches.

If that doesn't work then move up to something more aggressive - a polishing compound like T-cut. Still not working? Then try metal polish (Autosol) or even toothpaste.

You'll eventually find you can wear through the decal without scratching the finish. Just go carefully and be patient.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  20. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I literally just did this last week. Wet it and let it sit for a minute. Scrap it off with a soft pick or your fingernail. The decal I replaced was ripped and 20 years old. Came off no problem.

Andrew Wasson and Stratatouille like this.