Join Strat-Talk Today

Needing to share....

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by GuitarPix, Aug 13, 2019.

1. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

It seems to me that the idiot who ignored a defensive dog and tried to just walk past should have been banned from the site instead. He’s an obvious liability risk and a danger to public safety. He probably shouldn’t be allowed to drive either - I bet he ignores caution signs too.

JB74, Bowmap and TangerineDog like this.
  2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

That stinks. We are all one bad boss away from having our good job turn into a crappy one.

Bowmap likes this.
  3. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

I wouldn't give up to soon, see if she has any recourse or can appeal.

JB74 and Bob the builder like this.
  4. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Sorry she lost her job. People can tend to flip out about a dog that “seems” aggressive. I’m a dog lover, period, and I’ve had dogs my entire life, but if a dog occasionally nips at someone, it’s only a matter of time before somebody completely wigs out about it.

On the flip side, you could argue that if a dog is prone to nip at people and be protective like that, then it’s only a matter of time before it actually sinks teeth into someone. If you know your dog is like that, you just can’t let it get near strangers, ever.

A few weeks ago I was mountain biking and a girl was hiking with two dogs. I let her know I was coming well in advance and I slowed way down. She pulled the dogs off the side of the trail and motioned me forward. As I rode by, a very large wolf hybrid looking dog bit me on the thigh. It hurt like hell. I stopped to access the damage while my buddy waited at a distance behind me. The poor girl freaked out. She was in her 20’s and walking the dogs for someone else and said the dog had never done that before. I only had a small puncture wound and some scrapes so I just said “well now you know, and make sure you tell the owner too” and we continued our ride. To me, it wasn’t that big of a deal, my buddy said he might have gotten the owner’s information. I mainly wanted to emphasize that she HAD to tell the owner. If it had bitten a small kid instead of a grown man, it could’ve been bad.

5. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Her supervisor is totally onside with getting her into another location that doesn't have the visitors like the last place had, as are many other people in the organization. So we're hoping it works out that way. As a side benefit - if she was in a place without so many visitors she'd get to work way more on her art when fire danger is lower.

6. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm a dog person myself and with all due respect, think this is bad advice. Too many people are abusing the system with calling everything out there a 'service' animal and when bad things happen like in the OP's case, it just makes it harder for the real service animals out there that actually go through the actual service animal training and regime.

Going back to the OP's post, that sucks but at least she got a choice versus just being fired and sued.

CigBurn and sgarnett like this.
  7. s5tuart

s5tuart Resource limit reached Strat-Talk Supporter

Hopefully this debacle will turn into an opportunity for her! ;)

Wish her good luck.

Stu

8. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

Unless of course the animal actually is a "service animal."

And, as the ADA recognizes "service" to include emotional and psychological support and comfort as bona fide aspects of the requirements necessary to fulfill the afflicted individual's needs...

Who is to say that such a distinction is not in fact a completely valid application of the term?

Particularly for a person alone in the wilderness for weeks on end with little in the way of companionship?

Bob the builder and T Bone Slort like this.
  9. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

So...they would have been OK with it had it not been a supervisor, but rather, some whacko that decided to bash her brains in...a woman ALONE at her post...because she had no watchdog to protect her?
    This one has LAWSUIT written all over it.
    Maybe she's reluctant to burn bridges but look on the bright side...she might not have to work again for a good long spell if you find the right lawyer.
    Go for the throat.

JB74 likes this.
  10. sam_in_cali

Ummm, unless I am missing something, the lady with the pet that bit someone is 100% at fault here. If this had happened to any of the hikers, there is a good chance she could have been sued and then being fired on top of that. Again, best to chalk this up as being fortunate that she was even offered a choice of keeping the job or the dog to begin with.

11. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

All depends on the perspective. Maybe she should ask the people in charge if they would have been OK with CCW as an alternative?

JB74 likes this.
  12. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply Shy. Strat-Talk Supporter

N.M.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  13. stevierayfan91

Perspective thoughts were ignored, so removed them.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    sgarnett likes this.
  14. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Sometimes dogs are GREAT judges of character. Just sayin’.

JB74 likes this.
  15. stevierayfan91

Please, ignore.

16. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Regardless of policy, having a dog there for protection and alarm just makes more sense than having anyone up there by themselves.

17. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

trying to be devils advocate? or just offering the lowest IQ retort for the sake of being inflammatory?

The issue YOU are missing is simple and outlined clearly in the OP.

wildfire Officer continued to proceed past the animal on a 3' wide balcony - disregarding the prior warning from the animal.

I've seen 5 year old kids with more intelligence.

Clearly you are missing the same common sense as the whingeing arsed wildfire officer if you believe that ignoring a warning is tantamount to rite of passage.

amstratnut likes this.
  18. sam_in_cali

Whoa..slow down there, Turbo. I agree that its a crappy situation but without knowing the employer's policy on bringing pets to work there, which I assumed doesn't exist since it wasn't mentioned, I was simply responding to the legality aspect, not the common sense part. FWIW, I think having a dog up there makes sense for protection, but is also a huge potential liability for the employer. Don't shoot the messenger here.

19. Fatmaninthebath

Fatmaninthebath Strat-Talker

"I don't trust people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog who doesn't like a person", Bill Murry

sgarnett, JB74 and amstratnut like this.
  20. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Whinging! Love that word!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.