Never Mind:

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ZlurkCorzDog, Apr 7, 2021 at 9:03 PM.

1. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

upload_2021-4-7_17-52-48.png

upload_2021-4-7_18-0-29.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 3:43 AM
  2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

doing 125 mph down the back straight at Sebring and then hanging on through turn 17 then back up to 110 is pretty spiritual....

3. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Doing 110 in my Trans Am when I was a kid was a blast. We all used to hang out on the outskirts of my home town on Friday nights and Saturday nights and race outside the city limits signs. Great memories!

4. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

If I had gone down a hill at just shy of 90 in a 45 and wrecked I'm fairly certain I'd have been charged for the excess speed.

Tiger was not.

Bullshit.gif

140+ here in the significantly modified car below. :D

I did a track day too. https://njmp.com/track-map/ Thunderbolt. Made it to 120, before a right sweeper.

Sadly, NJMP PDE events are far too tame now. When I was there in 2012 the track was rented by another organization who managed the day.

Novices like me were permitted to go all out, unpaced with an instructor telling you what to do though a wired helmet intercom. Four thirty minute sessions. The thirty minutes blew by fast.

If you have a performance car, you owe it to yourself to beat the snot out of it in a PDE. Just not at NJMP.

IMG5019.JPG

IMG4665.jpg

IMG5107.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 3:34 PM
  5. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

Well ... I49 North of Opelousas is my track... very little traffic and mostly straight road.... 145mph is my best effort. But setting the cruise to 125 and blasting the stereo at the same time is fun....

106EB3A7-AC9A-49C3-B4A0-1FE7129F4110.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:03 AM
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

In my early 20s I had a Honda CB350...I would lay my chin on the instrument cluster and hook my shoes over the license plate bracket. WAO, it would eventually indicate 90mph.

In my 50s, my '96 Miata indicated 120mph, top down. I think that was the last time over 100 for me.

I have a clipping from a Norfolk area newspaper, mid 1950s. Dad was officially clocked doing 140mph in his '29 Model A roadster pickup. BMT, the family would go to Bonneville speed week. Dad built highly regarded flatheads...

Genetic predisposition.

vlxerdon, soulman969 and Electgumbo like this.
  7. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

The old notion that speed kills leaves out other more modern data.

It is mostly inattentive driving regardless of speed and / or driving too fast on a given road.

US highway speed limits have gone up, while the death rate has remained mostly steady with minor exceptions.

Vehicles traveling at similar speeds on a highway tend not to crash into one another. Simple physics. All driving 55 or 85 works.

On a modern highway, high speed driving is safe if all drivers respect the discipline needed, like on the ever shrinking unlimited Autobahn. American drivers will likely never cooperate like German drivers do.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:20 AM
  8. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

It’s not the speed that kills you, it’s the sudden stop.

9. cranky

cranky Strat-O-Master

I refuse to race. Unless someone calls me chicken. In that case, it's on.

10. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I used to push my 442 to ridiculous speeds. With the top down. Until a friend rolled his GTO end over end, flew through the back window and was in a coma for a month, lucky to be alive. We all slowed down after that.

11. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

There's 90...
    and then there's L.A. 90. Which is 35 to the rest of us.

I learned to drive in the quintessential sleepy little backwater burb of Portland...Oregon...USA. Back when our population was just shy of 400k. Where things like turn signals, the 2 second rule, and not only knowing what right-of-way means but really observing it.

Then one day I arrived at the Hertz counter at LAX and in short order learned to drive all over again...
    • 80 MPH six inches off the rear bumper of the car in front
    • coming to an apparently choreographed complete stop
    • in unison with the 200,000 other cars crammed into the same 1 mile stretch of the 405 at that instant
    • in under a nano second
    • with everyone paying attention to everything other than their driving...
    • and no one hitting another.
    It's...different down there. Very different.

Hardest part was adjusting back to Portland driving styles when I'd return.

Now it's just as insane here. Because most of Southern California saw fit to move here and bring the insane with them.

I've pretty much stopped driving. I don't need the aggravation

but did you know a Prius can top 100mph?

What's no longer loaning my car to daughter for $800 Bob?

StratoMutt and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  12. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Wind in the hair, fly's in your eyes and fillings dropping out of your teeth then you discover there's no brakes:eek: Happy daze.
    [​IMG]

13. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking ....

I drive like a little old lady nowadays. Avoid the beltway if I can . And don’t drive at night anymore . One eyed driving and high speed don’t mix well ....

14. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Try a bumputybunp at 5 mph, than try one at 100 mph, and come back and tell us about it

15. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

My fastest was 187mph (not kph) on 2 wheels. I honestly believe I could have bested 190 if I had another 1/4 mile. I had to roll it off to make the turn coming up at a rate of a little faster than 3 miles a minute. What was my justification for it? I wanted to prove that my Yamaha R1 could keep up with my bosses Busa...no other reason. Later that year I lost that bike to a 20mph end over end crash thanks to an idiot that decided to make a right hand turn across 6 lanes of rush hour traffic from the left hand lane. Couple months after that I got my next R1 and immediately started setting it up for track life but never got it there because the next June I had an accident that shattered my leg and I can't ride like that anymore. That accident had me at speeds exceeding 120mph but I was on the hood of the car and had absolutely no control of what was going to happen to me. I guess you could say I have first hand knowledge of what it's like to be that bug on the windshield. LOL But that wasn't nearly as scary as the ambulance ride to the hospital.

16. Believer7713

What do you want to know?:p I can tell you that it broke my leg and gave me a little road rash on one arm when thrown off the hood at over 120mph. The broken leg wasn't from that speed but when the guy that did it to me hit me with the bumper at 40 mph. It was the only real injury from that incident. Granted I will take 5 MPH bumptybump any day but he is correct in that when everyone is moving the same there is less chance of an accident than when traffic moves in opposing directions on the same street and at intersections.

17. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Traffic patterns around here are consistently heavy enough to make any prolonged speed effort foolhardy. I make a couple of 90mph bursts in my Mustang ever now and then on the interstate, just to force it to pull 5th gear a little...but that's it (more a mental exercise than mechanical...I get it). I ran 110 for a period in Montana a few years ago--no other cars in sight for over an hour--while Mrs was asleep...her minivan really moves out:whistling:.

18. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I got a ticket for going 82mph on I-80 in NJ over the summer at like 11 at night. The highway was completely empty and I was just trying to get home and get to bed after driving to Queens to drop off and install an air conditioner for my wife's friend. It was a very hot summer and she didn't have the money for an AC unit for her and her daughter. I had the tunes going and crept up the speed when the cars on the highway got more scarce. The trooper was nice enough to just give me a moving violation rather than the speeding ticket plus extra for each mile over so I guess I can't complain but they're not kidding when they say don't speed in Jersey.

stormsedge likes this.
  19. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Well yes the highway is safer, everyone at the same speed (if everyone is going at the same speed) , no one turning, etc. But when stuff happens, and it does, it hurts more the higher the speed, simple physics.

soulman969 likes this.
  20. Believer7713

True. Which is why I did say I would take a 5mph hit over a 100mph hit any day. Just making the point that not ALL incidents will turn out the same. I DO know and understand that my situation is an exception to the rule and could have only happened with divine intervention. Still, though, blanket statements aren't good arguments IMO.

ZlurkCorzDog and Boubou like this.