New 50s MiM on the way. Change pickups? Help!

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by WelhavenT, Jul 19, 2020.

1. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

So I was GASing for for a strat with maple neck, 2-tone sunburst, nitro finish. Originally I was looking for an American made, but that would mean selling one of my guitars. That’s not gonna happen, so when I found a used Classic 50’s Lacquer for an ok price (only used 2-3 times according to the seller), I bought it.

Ok, I know I should try the original pickups first, but I also know people are changing the pups also. In my excperience sometimes to great effect.

In any case, I’ve been looking for some used pickups, and some new and these are my four options right now (about the same price):

1. Used CS 54 set
    2. New Pure Vintage ‘59
    3. New Pure Vintage ‘65
    4. Used Lindy Fralin vintage hot - bridge only, keep original middle and neck. So about half the price.

I have four guitars w/humbuckers so it doesn’t need to be used for metal (obviously), but if it can handle early 70s style hardrock/heavy blues (like first two Priest, Purple, first two Black Sabbat) it would be nice. You know, a little bit of grit.

So anyone?

Stratafied and HazyPurple like this.
  2. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-Talker

Put Fender custom '69's on your list.

I like the Seymour ssl-1 neck&middle, with ssl-5 in the bridge combo.

Seymour ssl-4 and ssl-7s are less refined but more grunt.

Pup replacement is a mine field, good luck!

WelhavenT likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I would play it with the stock pickups, but then, I always do...

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

IME the pickups in the Classic Series Strats are pretty great. With a good OD pedal, or the right amp, they will do the '70s rock thing like you want.

5. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

Sounds great :) I’ll give them a try, and compare them to my other single-coil strat with Amber Vintage 75.

Ebidis likes this.
  6. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

As has been said already give the OEM units a good try before you consider any sort of change.

Blackmore and Tipton didn't change their original low output pups to record Made In Japan or Unleashed In The East.

7. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

Yeah, I’ll do. Just felt like natural thing to do; when I «downgraded» the guitar from MIA to MIM, I could at least upgrade the pups. But not if they are good, this is my first Mexico-strat (owned a MiM-tele, once. Never got that to feel more than ‘ok’ no matter how many parts I changed»).

8. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

I like 57/62s better than PV65, but both sound great. I have both in different MIMs

kris ford likes this.
  9. kris ford

kris ford Strat-O-Master

Stock ones are great, run them low and angled up to treble side slightly, 57/62 or PV59 are killer too.

WelhavenT and Stratwrangler like this.
  10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

No way. The pickups are some of my favorites.

MyToyBrain and WelhavenT like this.
  11. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I put Classic Series '50s pickups in my Squier CV, and it'll do the Blackmore tone no problem - if only I could play like him!

12. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

Congratulations on the Classic 50s. They are great guitars. When I bought my Classic 50s Strat, it was my best sounding guitar. I now have an American Special loaded pickguard on the guitar, with Texas Specials and Grease Bucket circuitry. I also have a Player with the Performer loaded pickguard (Yosemite pickups and GBC). I can switch between my Humbucker guitars and these Strat's with hotter single coils, without re-adjusting my Amp. I just roll back my guitar volume, for a clean sound.

The 57/62's sound good, but I cannot switch to other guitars without re-adjusting my Amp. The pickups that you are considering, are too low output (similar to 57/62s), for me. I moved the Classic 50's loaded pickguard to a Strat with a neck, that I like less. It's easier to swap, than pickups. Plus, it's quicker to change back to original, if I decide to sell.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  13. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

Seems like I’ll give the stock pups a real go :) Even though I liked the idea to have a 50s strat with vintage-style CS ‘54 in too. Probably wouldn’t be used too much if it can’t handle a minimum of dirt, though.

tanta07 and nickmsmith like this.
  14. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the stock. I cant say I have any issues at all with my CS50s strat that need an upgrade.

WelhavenT likes this.
  15. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

Happy new guitar day - I’d say try out the pickups with a few different pedals or play with the amp settings before you run out and buy new pickups. I think the stock pickups can hold their own, especially on the type of grit that you’re after - the if you’re still not happy, I’d take a close look at the Duncan ssl’s.

WelhavenT likes this.
  16. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I agree about Blackmore, but didn't Glenn Tipton have DiMarzio Super Distortions in his Strat by then??

17. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

Tnx for all the replies :)

Here’s your reward:

Blackmore Fan and Tone Guru like this.
  18. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-Talker

I have the PV59s in my American Original. They're nice, but I prefer the Tonerider Pure Vintage set I have in my partscaster. The 59s are very quiet, considering they're not RWRP, but they seem a little tame. The Toneriders are "more" of everything. For less money.

It'll depend on what you like, in the end.

19. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

I think you are correct to think of changing only the bridge pickup first.
    Then, if the neck and middle are really lacklustre try something like PV '59s for those positions.

WelhavenT likes this.
  20. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Interesting. The PV59's in my AO50's (2020) body are definitely on the tame side but the PV59's in my AV59 (2013) are incredibly good with plenty of girth and spank.