New Amp Day (Finally)!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by HighwayStar106, Dec 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

Some people my remember I was looking for an amp, a Boss Katana 50 being the ideal choice. First I went to a local music shop which had one in stock when I'd been there a couple of weeks before. They were also closing down, which meant the bargain hunters dream, a closing down sale. It was the perfect plan, until I got there and found it had sold! :rolleyes:
    Plan B was a Marshall Valestate which was in another place locally. I'd been looking at it for while, thinking I might buy it at some point. But now I actually could buy it, it too had sold! :mad:
    So, after advertising on a local musical instrument buy and sell Facebook group, someone told me there was a Katana in a nearby Cash Converters, so I went down there (on Christmas Eve) to look. But of course, it was closed, despite the sign in the window claiming otherwise. I went to another place up the road which sold second hand stuff, where I tried a Line 6 Spider. It was alright, but not really good enough.
    Anyway, I managed to get back to Cash Converters today, where, surprisingly, they had not sold the Boss Katana 50 which I'd been told about. So I bought it!
    Even better, it's just as good as I expected! I still haven't found the 'perfect' tone, but I know it (or something close) is in there somewhere. The setting to change the wattage is brilliant, and I can make it sound great without deafening most of the neighbourhood! As I said, I'm still tweaking the settings, but it definitely sounds better than my 10 watt Marshall, and the effects are good fun. I'll post a pic tomorrow, if anyone would like one. :)

2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes , pics at your earliest convenience. Glad it worked out.

HighwayStar106, felis and 93-Strat like this.
  3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations! HAPPY NAD!

HighwayStar106 likes this.
  4. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations and Happy New Amp Day!

I have found my Katana 50 to be my favorite amp for Strats, with low output, vintage pickups. Here is a picture of mine.

[​IMG]

5. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

Not a great photo, but here it is anyway.

image.jpeg

I spent most of the morning playing with the Boss Tone Studio computer program. The amount of different settings you can get on this is amazing! The only problem I have so far is that with overdrive, it sounds quite harsh, when I'd ideally like the nice warm tones of people like Gary Moore, Eric Clapton etc. Maybe it's my fairly cheap guitars, or maybe it would be better at high volume. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much from a solid state amp, or I haven't found the right settings yet. Whatever, it's still great! :)

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

You still haven't found the settings. It can take a while.

Me too, for over 2 years now.

10080.jpg.gif

HighwayStar106 likes this.
  7. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Maybe try the graphic eq to tame the harshness. ???

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  8. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I've never hooked my Katana up to a computer. I just dialed it in my ear. When I compared the clean sound to my Vox TB18C1 (all tube), Fender SCXD -Clean Tweed Bassman and Vox VXII - Clean Boutique (Dumble) settings, my tone was very, very close, between all 4 amps. The main difference is in the effects, with the Katana taking the lead, there.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Groovey likes this.
  9. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I think I need a Katana if just for the effects .

Great shot. Nice bunch of guitars there too.

10. st2012

st2012 Strat-Talk Member

Great pair, congrats on the new amp!

11. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    HNAD!!!

12. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

Congrats!!

My daughter got a Kat 50 to go along with the Fender Duo Sonic she got for Christmas. Of course I had to check it out to see if it met all of the hype I've heard about it.

Great sounding amp and the clean tone she dialed in with a bit or chorus and a decent helping of reverb sounds wonderous! Great amp overall, especially for a beginner.

johnnymg likes this.
  13. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That crunch channel is delicious.

I’ve been using that with the internal clean boost and it’s glorious even at .5 watts. Tried it with the TUbescreamer effect and it’s lovely as well.

BallisticSquid and johnnymg like this.
  14. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

I was impressed with the crunch channel as well. This is where I see a lot of amps find me wanting. Many amps I've tried do clean pretty well and high gain well, but the in between crunch range is thin and uninspiring.

Chont likes this.
  15. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I just downloaded the sneaky amps. Haven’t tried them all out but the BR Tweed (Bassman) is pretty awesome. Mrs C went to the store so got a chance to stretch the amps legs and been having a ball with it. Set the BR Tweed model up with the 60s Fuzz and it’s really good. With the clean boost effect and the Strat neck pickup it’s really nice too. Got a Kinda Gilmour Shine on tone going on. Seems a touch warmer than the stock crunch channel but that could be my imagination.

I’m also thinking I can probably get the GFAC and ditch some pedals. This damn thing is great.