1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

New amp today. I think I really got a steal on this vintage beauty

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Shockmaster, Sep 21, 2020.

1. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have the speakers.

pa100.jpg

Before I restored the amp, this was the seller's pic.

CigBurn and CB91710 like this.
  2. fenderampfan

fenderampfan New Member!

Wow that is in great shape too. Awesome find.

3. kmosh

kmosh New Member!

nice amp, my back hurts just looking at it !

4. CC53

CC53 New Member!

It kinda reminds me of the PS300&400 series....THE loudest Fender amp of all time.

CB91710 and tubedude like this.
  5. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Nice amp, I think that would be perfect for a modeler type pedal like the Helix.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Do you live on a farm?
    Can you turn that critter loose...

7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Pretty ballsy amp when the DRIVER is a 6L6!

8. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

I've got a Bogen Challenger CHA-33 waiting for me to recap. It's probably 1959-1960 and uses a pair of 6L6GBs. From the schematic it looks like the channels may be interactive like a 5E3 Deluxe. We'll see...

Believer7713 likes this.
  9. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Yeah, mine was the CHA-20. One of the pot shafts broke off. I ended up getting rid of it before I started doing my own repairs. Now I wish I never got rid of it. It was the nicest clean sounding amp I ever played through. Weighed as much as an Abraham's tank though.

archetype likes this.
  10. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Well, circuit wise, other than all the extra channels, those old PA heads really weren't much different than guitar amps. They still distorted like a guitar amp, and could easily be used as one. Here's a photo of Hendrix using a Sound City PA as a guitar amp:
    Re-exposition_Olympia_1968_o.jpg

That thing looks like a homemade job, stuffing a PA into a guitar amp head box, but no, that's how they were made.

11. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-Talker

Congrats on an excellent score.

12. mapleglo

My amp tech tells me that the PA-100 uses a lot of the same circuitry as the Twin reverb.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Strat-Talker

It's a "PA" (public address) amp, not a Bass or Guitar amp. Though some used them for electric keyboards.

Nevertheless, it was a very well-designed and made amplifier, even under the auspices of CBS, who thought Fender should "get into" every market segment even if we didn't belong there (PA systems) and never had a history there either. Which is why the PA-100 didn't last long in the product line.

Here 's a recent listing at Reverb (head only), $400, sold but it doesn't say at what price. The 2 speaker cab is worth maybe another $100 to $125 since it is of the mid 70's.

I doubt that it will be a decent "Bass" amp since the Bassman 100 version was sold with these cabinets intended for Bass. I think that cab you have was intended for keyboards.

Fender Bassman 100 with cabs.jpg

14. mapleglo

It sounds great with bass so long as you use an appropriate cabinet. The PA cabs will not do bass very well, but the amp is spectacular for bass.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. mister2

mister2 Strat-Talk Member

Actually just lurking now, maybe I'll get off my recliner and look for an amp for a Yamaha bass I can't even remember how I got....

But I DO want to thank O.P., and a couple other posters for rescuing and preserving something valuable that may just have deteriorated and then thrown away. All of my amps have always been bought used, by countless previous owners; so who knows, I may come into a well-preserved PA100 one of these days.

Well done!

16. RandyM

RandyM Strat-Talk Member

Just saw a PA 100 at a shop in Madison, labeled for $495 if I remember correctly.