New bass, strings seem very bright and lots of finger noise

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by Handsome McClane, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Hey people,

90% guitarist, 10% bassist here. I just bought myself a new Player Series bass to replace my old Squier. I took the new strings off the new bass to put on my Squier, sold it, and bought a new set of DR .40s for the Player Series.

Problem is the strings seem to be overly bright and there's a lot of finger noise as I navigate around. Is it just because the strings are new? Gotta admit I haven't had new bass strings in quite a long time. Also wondering if there's a different type of string that will bring out a bit more low end - maybe flatwounds?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Use the tone knob, that will tame some brightness and finger noise - and yes, typically bass players like broken in strings rather than shiny brand new.....

3. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

40’s are typically considered light string sets to begin with. 45-105 is what I used to use. For what it’s worth, which is nothing...

Handsome McClane likes this.
  4. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

extra bright and extra finger noise is what most new round wound strings sound like. let them break in before you decide to try new types since strings usually stay on a bass for extended periods.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

IMO, tone knob, amp settings (turn down treble) those will fix the problem. The Fender probably just has clearer sounding pickups than the squier.

New strings have more pop and high end than old, deader stings.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Can't say other than what the rest have already said.

Brighter roundwounds will mellow out a bit the more you play them. If you want something a little mellower here are some suggestions to consider.

Pure Nickel rounds are typically mellower than nickel wrapped rounds.

Ground or Halfrounds in some cases can be even mellower, it depends.

Pressurewounds are the mellowest roundwound type of all.

Flats come in various degrees of mellow. Some are very thuddy while others are actually quite bright but still less so than a roundwound.

7. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I run LaBella flats on mine. No finger noise, and they last for years/

soulman969 and Handsome McClane like this.
  8. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

I like round wounds and yes they are brighter - finger noise comes from how you play - I changed my Jazz bass strings recently after 14 years of faithful service, the G broke when I was bending it

9. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Ditto. Flats is where its at.
    Bob Babbitt had the same strings on his session bass forever. All those Motown hits he played on...same strings. I think Phil Chen owns that bass now. Guess what? Same strings. Not the same type. The same strings.

10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

One of our local guys has had the same set of LaBella flats on his bass since 1990. Still sound great.

11. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

Lots of ways to get a smoother sound and less finger noise Flat wounds will work but you wont get much finger pop or slap. Round wound will give you a lot of finger string noise. Coated stings I think dull the sound. Half round is between flat and round wound less finger noise and less twang then round wounds but not as smooth as a flat wound.

12. JDug

JDug Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I ‘m trying to finish up a project J body/P neck frankenfender, ( having issues with a certain guitar parts company), but anyhoo, I was thinking about what your issues with new roundwounds are, so I’m definitely going with flats! I was even thinking of going tapewound, but I think flatwounds will be best for me!

Attached Files:

13. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I swap to bass once in a while with my band and had the same issues with my Squier PJ. I tried the other guy's bass and it was so much better. Reason - he uses flat wounds. Installed a set and it solved the brightnesss, finger noise, and was like butter to play.

Oh and Bass string are too expensive lol...

14. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Yup, I've had a set of LaBellas on my PBass for about nine years and in another year or two they may finally be broken in. :whistling:

And for those with a finger noise issue who don't want to give up the greater clarity of a round wound I'll once again suggest GHS Pressurewounds. They're a mellower roller wound string with great clarity and tonal range but little to no finger noise due to the smoothness of the outer wrap. Great on any P or J Bass and also on fretless.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020