New Bigsby day!

TConnelly

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2016
Sandy, Or.
Greetings all!
So I have this Warmoth Telecaster that I put together a few years ago. I've always liked it well enough, but recently I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I really am a wriggle stick guy at heart. All of my other electrics have one. My Strat, my hollow body with a Bigsby, a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar. Every time I would play the Tele I would always find myself reaching for it and grabbing empty air. I was contemplating selling it, With the inevitable bath I would take on the selling price vs. What I have into it. I have been gassing hard for a CV Mustang lately. So I finally decided to add a Bigsby B5 with the Vibramate kit. 20220810_200714.jpg
Installation went pretty smooth. It's pretty straight forward although there have been a couple of hiccups in the process which I'll detail later. If I decide I like it I'll sell off the Vibramate kit and mount the Bigsby permanently. 16604556772582359668795586314392.jpg
Cheers..................Todd

TConnelly

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2016
Sandy, Or.
A couple days in and I'm liking it a lot. Tuning stability is really pretty good. As long as I only push down on the bar. If I pull up on the bar it returns sharp. From about 20 cents on the low E to about 3 or 4 cents on the high e. The problem is in the tension bar. If I pluck between the tension bar and the string bar it's flat. I'm surprised how much clearance there is in the tension bar roller. I was under the impression that the American Bigsbys have bushings in there and needle bearings in the string bar. With this much clearance in the tension bar its doomed to failure from the start. There is no lubricant on earth that can maintain its film strength with tolerances like that. But with that being said it works well for me. I dont pull up on the bar anyway. And even if I do, one dip of the bar and everything goes right back in tune. Just kind of disappointing is all.

Yesterday afternoon I removed the repulsive vestigial arm stop that serves no useful purpose except to anoy people. I also made a new Delrin arm washer from a .63mm Clayton Delrin pick. And switched out the arm pivot spring for a stack of belleville spring washers. Much easier to dial in the arm tension with these. 20220814_085650.jpg 20220814_104140.jpg 20220604_173522.jpg
One thing I've found is that the string slots in the Gotoh In-Tune saddles are too shallow for this application. The strings jump out too easy. I'll have to file them deeper or maybe get Graph Tech saddles.

Another plus is that it's eliminated the neck dive that it had when played standing. With the Warmoth modern neck with the double truss rod, and a chambered body, it was noticeable.

Cheers.................Todd