Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

new duo with woman singer

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by didger, Dec 22, 2015.

1. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    How did I miss these last comments? I'm on ST almost every day! I guess I'm counting on notifications that aren't happening. Anyway, thanks ido1957 and db.

I am really proud of that video, db, because it was my crazy ambitious idea that actually worked! We originally were going to have her pushing through crowds with alien antennae and maybe makeup, but with Halloween approaching, we decided to have her look normal and try to find weird looking crowds instead. It paid off big time, especially with crazy moments like when she sings about "the way they look at me" and that guy gave her a funny look. In case you didn't stop to consider it, she had to lip sync and 2.5x speed so we could slow it down. She did a great job, although I had to get really critical and sometimes clever in the edit to make it work.

Oh, and yeah, with the song being about self-doubts and such, that's why we call our music "Indie Electro Folk Rock for Human Beings." She writes all the lyrics. When I heard this one and 4 or 5 others, I thought, "if you can't relate to this, then you're not human."

Thanks for the compliment of asking, but I don't do videos for hire, as I'm busy enough just trying to keep up with my own stuff! Also, I didn't shoot that one, but hired somebody with the latest greatest Sony camera. We shoot most of our own stuff and do a good job, but not THAT good. Maybe I SHOULD do some videos for hire, though... because we're just SPENDING money doing our own.

On that front, here's the latest, just released today, which is way beyond our own technical capabilities. I've scored some films for the local community college, and they did this video for us as part of the advanced post production class. It's Strat-free, but Fender-heavy, with Cammi on my Modern Player Thinline Telecaster Deluxe, me on a Classic Player Jazzmaster Special, and the bassist on a Squier Precision. In reality, though, all three parts were played on Steinbergers. We wanted a more vintage and indie look for the video. :)

2. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Just updating the thread to have all the videos here. The 'Baked Goods' video is silly and didn't work out as well as I hoped, but... oh well, the song and guitar solo are good! I'm really proud of the whole song & video package for 'Slow Down.'

CigBurn likes this.
  3. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Our latest is a great song for a Monday. Who's excited about work? Maybe some days you'd like to smash up the place a bit?

Note: The guitar I used to smash up the office a bit was a semi-working Squier Rock Band 3 controller with a plastic fretboard that I got for $25, and it only got one small ding. No valuable Stratocasters were harmed in the making of this video.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Next up, a super sweet acoustic ditty. Cammi came in with an original version of a song from "Annie," just using the lyrics. I added the "face piano" part. Easy.

6. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Strat-O-Master

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    Best new music I have heard in a long time. I love your sound, I love the vocals - just awesome.

didger likes this.
  7. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Wow, thanks so much, Vinnie. Please tell a friend! Our 6 album sales haven't quite covered our investment so far, so we need all the help we can get spreading the word! :)

8. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Our new release today is a Strat-heavy song kinda in a 90s alt rock mode. Unfortunately I don't have a white Strat these days, so had to stick with the Steinbergers for most of the video even though for a lot of it I'm faking the Strat part you can see played in the studio footage. Oh well. The main guitar part is played on my '96 American Standard with EMGs straight into Guitar Rig. The active pickups work well that way. There's a second guitar part played on the black Steinberger seen in the video.

Mansonienne likes this.
  9. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    I shall stubbornly continue to post our videos here.

Cammi, the singer, wanted to do an "I Will Survive" cover but I thought we really needed a unique angle on the song to pull it off. We realized suddenly how well the lyrics would fit with a zombie movie, then came up with the idea of a classic horror movie tribute video using a mix of new footage and old public domain movies. Maybe some of y'all are horror fans and will enjoy this.

10. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Our latest is an odd mix of psychedelia, world music and 50s ballad. I play slide on a 12-string Steinberger. Which is awesome.

The kalimba you see my thumbs playing at the beginning was actually purchased here on Strat-talk from WineCaster!

11. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Our latest is for anyone who is deemed or sometimes feels unfit to live in "the real world." Our singer spent a day around town in a straight jacket trying to do everyday things. It was fun. That is all.

Oh, there's one guitar part played on my '96 American Standard with EMGs and another on a Strat-like Fernandes Retrorocket with the Sustainer system.

12. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Here's out latest and folkiest. If you can't relate to this song at all, you're not human.

@guitarvegas When I initially posted about meeting Cammi, you searched out her stuff and found her solo version of this song. If you hadn't done that, I might not have heard it, and we might not have done the song. But now it's a definite favorite!

A Stratocaster returns in our next video in two weeks!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Nick Evans likes this.
  13. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    I'm just adding the latest two videos to this thread. First off, one I put up before in its own "animated strat attack" thread. Featuring my Vintage Hot Rod 60's Strat, both being played and assaulted by little tiny army men.

And a simple but beautiful electro folk ditty.

14. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Didger you have some great stuff....Your sense of timing and note for note play is amazing....oh and did i mention your sound....very nice...

didger likes this.
  15. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Ah, I never see these new posts unless they quote my own so I get a notification. Thanks so much, Percy! We're slaving away as little-known artists, so every compliment and even every acknowledgment of our existence is honestly really, really appreciated.

Here's the next one. Strat-free, I'm afraid, but it gives me an excuse to say that we've been invited to be official Taylor artists! Woo!

Nick Evans likes this.
  16. wildhawk

wildhawk Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2014
    Midwest
    Flipped through shorts bits of some videos for a preview. You should have no problems filling coffee houses and other local gathering places. Nice to hear acoustic things going on. :thumb:

REALLY liked the filming/editing. I don't know if you're doing it yourselves or somebody is doing it for you but I'd hire that person (you?) quickly for any projects. It definitely raises the bar above so many others out there.

Nick Evans and didger like this.
  17. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks! We haven't even been able to get out gigging at all because since we met in January 2015, she's spent a total of 10 months out of state for sales jobs. All our time together has been dedicated to recording and shooting videos. She's just getting back to town now and promises not to go away again, so we're finally going to get a band together.

And thanks once again! I can take credit for most of the videos. Well, I produced them and came up with the ideas, so I could take credit for all of them. :p 'Corporate Robot' (in the office building) and 'Sandy' (band and car footage) were the biggest productions. I cooked up the ideas and worked my butt off producing them, but didn't shoot or edit them. 'Ruth' (mix of us in the home studio and getting kicked out of public places) was done by someone else based on our ideas. 'Easier' (slow motion lip synching walking through crowds) and 'Me With You' (the prettier one of us playing against the brick wall) were shot by someone else and edited by me. The other 15 or so are all me. I've been involved in film and video for years, mostly as a composer for indie film, so I've developed some skills and had some favors I could call in.

And as it's the first of the month, it's time for a new one. It's a synth version of one of the previous songs, 'Sandy', so I used the footage from the original shoot (which I didn't do) and some Photoshop effects to edit a new video for this mix.

18. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Cool!

didger likes this.
  19. Swingbass

Swingbass Senior Stratmaster

I can't believe I just found this thread of some really great music. Well done.

didger and Nick Evans like this.
  20. Nick Evans

Nick Evans Senior Stratmaster

May 8, 2016
    South Wales UK
    Magic stuff

didger likes this.
  21. didger

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks, Nate, Swingbass and Nick! Tell a friend! Our dozen or so album sales haven't quite covered our expenses so far to say the least, so we need all the help we can get spreading the word. We'll keep at it!