New Fender neck plate....., what metal / material is it made from?

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Reading this thread about neckplates got me wondering what the weight/thickness/price is of those personalized plates that @Believer7713 has made for some of his guitars and how they compare.
When I get home today I can take the measurements. as for price, they are around $25 and he can put any picture you eant on them. I have one with my wife's portrait from our wedding day and one with both of my dogs on it then several Frankenstein themed plates. They all come to me with 4 screws and the plastic gasket if which you don't really need to use if you won't want but it's there.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
OEM Fender plates are made of steel, and not just plain steel, it's hardened.. as compared to generic plates which are un hardened mild steel. I have never seen a OEM plate from Fender thart was anythin g other than steel...

the current lot of OEM plates from Fender, I have a drawer full, are quite thin... somewhere less than .060... the generics from WD, allparts, etc are more like the modern plates on some fenders at around .070... the Gotoh plates when you can get them are .062.. the last time I checked..

For giggles, I just measured the one on my cheap Epi bolt on (yes, cheap even for an Epi although they might all have the same plates): .080"

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I recently purchased a NIP 'Fender Corona California' neck plate but when I took it out of the packet was surprised by how light it is. So, I put it on some scales and it comes out at 19g (0.67oz).

View attachment 460335

I then weighed my V- stamped neck plate which comes out at 39g (1.37oz).

View attachment 460336

The V- stamped neck plate is magnetic whereas the 'Fender Corona California' neck plate isn't so clearly it doesn't have a steel content. The new neck plate also feels cheap by comparison.

Does anyone know what material Fender have switched to and why?

Thanks.
It's aluminum alloy similar to what is used on engine heads now. Just not made from cast but close to the same metallurgy.
As for whether it is song enough... Ibanez dispels any doubt in my mind with the use of ferrules in place of a plate in conjunction with a neck pocket that has no south wall for the neck to rest on. I think it will be fine. 😃

Ocaster Ben

Strat-Talker
May 11, 2022
Australia
But at the end of the day, the plate isn't meant to be cranked down with extreme force. Whenever I hear about a warped plate, I wonder just how tight someone has been cranking down on them.
As you can see, this one isn’t going to go bendy bendy any time soon!

Is this what is meant by "warped"?
sDlmf4I.jpg

t3Pp8oj.jpg

I haven't weight it but this is from my newly acquired 2006 CS 60, is this a concern?

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium
Is this what is meant by "warped"?
sDlmf4I.jpg

t3Pp8oj.jpg

I haven't weight it but this is from my newly acquired 2006 CS 60, is this a concern?
Yes, that is a bent neck plate. It happens a lot because, as evidence would suggest, the neck plate is too thin to withstand the pressure of the screws under tension.

It bugs me, which is why I replace them with something more substantial. However, I’m sure that most people don’t give it a second thought.