Join Strat-Talk Today

New Fender Player Series Colour Question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bellingjam, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Bellingjam

Bellingjam Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys,

after trying some other guitars by Fender, namely the Mexican Standard, a Japanese 68 reissue and an American Special strat and additionally the Squier CV 50s and 60s models, I have decided to spend some money on a new Player series strat. Now I have herard and read a lot of positive things about the series, mainly about the pickups and the finish quality, and the only issue I have is finding the right colour for me. I personally love the new buttercream yellow- ish colour and that is one of the options I am considering, but the sonic red colour is what kind of confuses me: Looking at pictures, the colour called sonic red seems to differ between the models, like here:https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR...ster-Lefthand-PF-Sonic-Red/art-GIT0046040-000
    and here: https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Fender-Player-Stratocaster-PF-Sonic-Red/art-GIT0045995-000
    Has anybody seen one of those in person? Is the colour really as dark an sin the right hand model or maybe a bit orange as in the lefthand version? Thanks in advance to everyone!

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Still haven't been canceled yet, working on it Strat-Talk Supporter

It's hard to judge how it will look in reality judging from those pictures. From looking at those through my phone, the color looks like Torino red, but there have been so many shades of red that it's hard to tell one from the other sometimes.

3. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster

I've seen them in the flesh, I'd say they are on the brighter side more like the left hand one in the links you have put out. But that's to my eyes, everyone is different!

If i had to try and describe it, I'd say it was like half way between dakota and fiesta- like dakota as a solid red but brighter, but not as light or pastelly (is that even a word???) as fiesta.

Probably doesn't help, but i tried! if this is important to you, deffo go see one in person :)

Elvie likes this.
  4. Kenshin88

Kenshin88 Strat-Talker

I've played both the tele and strat in sonic red and I'd say thats the best way to describe them. It's somewhere between Fiest and Dakota red. I think it looks good, no complaints. I would have liked fiesta better. The complaint is the fingerboard. The two I played both had almost red fret boards. It doesn't look good at all. A dark rosewood would have been perfect. Plays fine though.

Dan_Q and The-Kid like this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah more Dakota than Fiesta to me but yeah.

arcticstrat likes this.
  6. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

I was looking at the red also, but according to Fenders website it's not available in with the maple board. The Sonic Red SSS is only available in Pau Ferro. Unlike the MIM Standards, I noticed some colors in the new Player SSS is limited to fretboard type. While you can get your choice of fretboard, maple or Pau Ferro with the Black, White, and sunburst colors, you have no choice with Sonic Red, and Sage Green are only available with Pau Ferro. While Butter Cream, and Tide Pool are only availible with the Maple fretboards.

7. Kenshin88

Kenshin88 Strat-Talker

That's fender for you. You can never have your cake and eat it too. They are always doing silly things like that.

arcticstrat likes this.
  8. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

That's okay, I went with the Butter Cream and maple :D

Now, if the Sonic Red would have come with a rosewood board... Shoot for that matter, if the Butter Cream would have came with rosewood, that would have been my favorite. I still can't do Pau Ferro anything!

BassmanM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.