New Fender Tone Master amps - Summer 2019 NAMM

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by GuitLoop, Jul 18, 2019.

1. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

Yes the audio is "top knotch."

But how much of that great sound is Lee's REALLY nice mixing setup, and how much is the amp?

I'm not saying it's not an accurate replica, I just saying "I don't know."

Which is why I also listened to the Summer NAMM videos of these amps, which seem to be more "raw," and the amps still sounded pretty good.

By the way, I got the opposite impression--I thought that the Twin was closer to the tube version than the Deluxe. And for both amps, I thought that the high gain tones were BETTER through the Tonemasters--more "punchy," less bright, almost getting into EL34 territory.

2. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-O-Master

I said the same thing until I tried a Katana 100 and 2x12. Well, except for the guitar playing itself. I'd have to see that to believe it....

Deathray likes this.
  3. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, you could really hear a difference with the Twin, but I thought there might be something wrong with the actual tube Twin. Because all during the video I thought the amp that turned out to the be actual tube version sounded terrible, just awful. And the ToneMaster sounded about like I thought a Twin should sound. So I'm still not sure what happened there. But with the Deluxe, I couldn't have told them apart from the video. Maybe in the room, who knows? But probably not by enough to matter...

-Ray

4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

That is not an accident.

Remember, a company can only make money if they sell you a NEW amp.

5. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

One of the amps I have is a Cyber Twin. While they are more complicated and actually model several amps they are very realistic. I usually use the '66 Super Reverb setting and it does a very good job of replicating a Super. This many years later I'm sure they have improved even more. If they could offer these at around $699 for the Deluxe and a little more for the Twin I think they would sell great. They may even at their current price.

6. RaySachs

I don't buy it. If that was their approach they'd have done it with the Deluxe AND the Twin. They didn't. And they still probably make as much or more on the actual tube version of the Twin than the digital version. People said the same thing when the guy did a blindfold test and picked a Blues Cube Artist over a host of much more expensive tube amps that THEY ALSO SELL. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you a Twin AND a ToneMaster version of a twin, or either one. When they do comparisons, they're always doing them between various products they sell...

-Ray

RadioFM74 and jwj1701 like this.
  7. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Wow they even accurately modeled the cost.

I’m here all week folks !!!

[​IMG]

8. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

"Vid, oh Vid. Wake up, it's time to go to school."

"Gee, Mom, you ruined the best dream I was having."

9. vid1900

If they did it to both, it would be too obvious.

People are leery of those kind of scams ever since Monster had those displays that would allow you to swap wires and hear how much better the M Cables sounded with the A/B buttons. Of course, the illusion was ruined when you tested a M vs M, and the display wire was better than the new from the package same product. A tiny amount of attenuation made anything plugged into the B switch sound inferior.

Fender obviously makes much more profit on the class D amps, and when they blow them out in a few years, they will be sold at least 60% off.

Mark my words, and let's see where we are 4 years from today.

jwj1701 likes this.
  10. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Ok, I’ll give you that

vid1900 likes this.
  11. vid1900

I know.

Believe me, I want some digital amp to be able to "model" a Dumble, or a digital reverb to be able to mathematically recreate the "Wiener Konzerthaus" like it says on the display.

I mean these digital processors have been around for 4 decades and they still can't do what some simple circuit designed 70 years by a radio repairman can do?

98505.jpg

12. RaySachs

And the moon landing was faked - if they tried to fake a sun landing, it would have been too obvious...

Play what you like. I do...

13. vid1900

Always think critically of ANY advertising.

They are not going to make a video where the amp sounds worse that the original.

They are not going to make a video where the secret melon is the same as the Kroger melon.

hult.jpg

14. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

nope, thanks just the same

15. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

I am not a gigging musician but I'd have to imagine these are for those musicians who want these amps at a much much lighter weight and with power attenuation. As for the cost I feel its too high when the original amps only cost a few hundred more but to some myself included a few hundred is the difference between affordable vs dream on. Price is all subjective.