New Guitar Day: Gibson SG Standard Ebony

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Frank_plays_HSS, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Frank_plays_HSS

Frank_plays_HSS Strat-Talk Member

Hi!

After sending back a Heritage Cherry Gibson SG Standard that did not feel right to me, I am happy to share my first New Guitar Day at strat-talk. Got me this 2021 Gibson SG Standard Ebony from Thomann. It was labelled as B-Stock (and therefore a little bit cheaper), someone must have sent it back, as the protective foil on the pickguard had already been removed. The binding is not perfect and there are some ridges on the fretboard, so I understand why someone wasn't happy, but I take it as a badge of character as it doesn't have a result on the playability.

However, I really like how the instrument feels and - weirdly - I had an immediate connection to it, contrary to the Heritage Cherry one. Even the neck feels different, but maybe I am a bit crazy here ;)

I love how this instrument can sound super soft, like velvet, but can develop so much grit and bite with some gain.
    IMG_4165.jpeg IMG_4166.jpeg IMG_4168.jpeg IMG_4169.jpeg

Gridlock, Neil.C, Stonetone and 9 others like this.
  2. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-O-Master

Nice congrats.

Cerb and Frank_plays_HSS like this.
  3. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

It's not hard to go wrong with a SG but when you get a good one, it's a thing of beauty. Congratulations!

Frank_plays_HSS likes this.
  4. DJGranite

DJGranite Senior Stratmaster

Great guitars, I love mine.
    Enjoy your new guitar

Frank_plays_HSS likes this.