New Guitar Day-Les Paul Special copy

anfontan

Strat-O-Master
Oct 13, 2008
Southern Illinois
Les Paul Special copy
This is one of the guitars distributed by the GFS company-it's a XV-440 that is a nice Les Paul Special clone. Originally I had my eye on one of their Les Paul Jr. copies but when I saw the Special it changed my mind. The Junior would have had a single P-90 and the wrap-around tailpiece/bridge-I imagined that the intonation would be less than ideal...
The Special is similar to the Les Pauls from the late 1950s before they turned to the double cutaway body. It has 2 P-90 soapbar p'ups and a tuneomatic bridge with the stopbar tailpiece. It has a mahogney neck and body-set neck-and a nice maple veneer on the guitar top for a bit more high end.

The neck is thinner that my other Les Pauls, but it plays like butter. The strings on it were too light and of lousy quality-9s-after an hours playing time I had replaced them. After a string change it was a whole different guitar. And the bridge p'up was installed crooked and I had to reset it in the slot-another simple adjustment that greatly improved playability.

After these minor changes this is my favorite guitar these days, the 2 P-90 p'ups sound so fine in the middle position-and like any other P-90 they go from chimey to mayhem with a bit of gain and how you attack the strings.

It's a damned good guitar for low bucks!

Attachments

• Xaviere XV-440-1.jpg
    Xaviere XV-440-1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Xaviere XV-440-body-2.jpg
    Xaviere XV-440-body-2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 308

ghostwolf

Mod Admin
Jan 5, 2009
texas
HNGD. i almost bought one of those, decided to get the SX from Rondo instead. mahogany and P90s do sound sweet, don't they?

anfontan

Strat-O-Master
Oct 13, 2008
Southern Illinois
HNGD. i almost bought one of those, decided to get the SX from Rondo instead. mahogany and P90s do sound sweet, don't they?

Thanks for the comment ghostwolf, I also looked at the Rondo L P Special style guitars. The only thing I didn't care for was the switch being located in the cutaway area. The Xaviere having the maple veneer was a plus as well.
I did a comparison this evening with my Epi Les Paul with humbuckers and the Xaviere with the P-90 soapbars-the humbuckers are louder while the P-90s are very smooth sounding, almost a compressed type of tone.
I would have to say it was a tie............;)

ghostwolf

Mod Admin
Jan 5, 2009
texas
i got the other one, switch is on the upper bout. probably both of ours were made in the same factory.

Last edited:

anfontan

Strat-O-Master
Oct 13, 2008
Southern Illinois
leave me alone, stupid thread! :D

happy new guitar day, i want one too :)

The guitar just kept haunting me and I finally gave in and ordered one...:twisted:

Didn't you get a Les Paul Junior last year? How is the intonation with that tailpiece bridge anyway?

The Special is thinner so its a pretty light guitar-I'm very happy with it.

anfontan

Strat-O-Master
Oct 13, 2008
Southern Illinois
i got the other one, switch is on the upper bout. probably both of ours were made in the same factory.

That Rondo Special is a fine looking guitar-I sure don't recall any that looked like that when I searched. I have trouble when searching their website, even when I have the exact name entered-I still don't have much luck.

I think their website needs an overhaul.:confused:

savofenno

Strat-O-Master
Feb 24, 2010
Sweden
The guitar just kept haunting me and I finally gave in and ordered one...:twisted:

Didn't you get a Les Paul Junior last year? How is the intonation with that tailpiece bridge anyway?

The Special is thinner so its a pretty light guitar-I'm very happy with it.

Wrap-around tailpiece bridge intonation is perfect, if bridge is mounted to exactly right place.;) I have a Gibson Les Paul Junior 1958RI with compensated bridge, intonation is very fine.:)
Even most expensive PRS guitars usually have wraparound bridges.:twisted:

Attachments

• GIBBY LP-J W1000.jpg
    GIBBY LP-J W1000.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 644

anfontan

Strat-O-Master
Oct 13, 2008
Southern Illinois
Wrap-around tailpiece bridge intonation is perfect, if bridge is mounted to exactly right place.;) I have a Gibson Les Paul Junior 1958RI with compensated bridge, intonation is very fine.:)
Even most expensive PRS guitars usually have wraparound bridges.:twisted:

Thanks for that information savofenno, I would say that the technology today makes the Wrap-around tailpiece bridge much more accurate. I thought about possibly bidding on a Gibson Les Paul Junior a few years ago but ended up with a Les Paul Melody Maker. The MM had a tuneomatic bridge and a 24 3/4" scale and it has a dog ear P-90 as well. Here is a photo-
2004MelodyMaker-crop.jpg

anfontan

Strat-O-Master
Oct 13, 2008
Southern Illinois
Hey congrats, very nice looking LP!

Thanks Paul, not a day has gone that I don't play it for as least an hour since I bought the guitar. The P-90's are very much like a chameleon-they adapt to Fendery bright & clean to a Gibson rude and dirty, and a lot of tones in-between!