Join Strat-Talk Today

New Guitar Vintage Reissue.

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Elvis v, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Ok So I got a new guitar. A Samick made Silvertone reissue. Some people brought back the name Silvertone. Got Samick to make them. They made semi hollow 335 style guitars, LP styles, bass guitars etc.. They reissued the Jupitor, the offset and 3 Danelectro style all made of Mahogany. 3 mahogany Danelectro styles they are so cool. But sadly they were not wanted or popular. Why? Because Harmony made Siilvertone. And Sears once owned them. And the Sears connection with the guitars. One guy said on the Stratocaster Silvertone copy it was junk. Why? Because he thought it was. :(

One of my dream guitars is a orginal Jupitor. And the offset and a few others. But I'm not paying a 1000 dollars. The Orginal was a cheap semi hollow with a wooden bridge. And Silverfoil DArmond pickups. The other stores besides Sears them with amber controle knobs and gold foils. But not woth the price they sell for used. But really cool and the blender switch is like the old Rickenbackers that had the blender option it is worth the look by all guitar players. ;)

So I went to my local guitar shop. I saw the Samick reissue. Clearly not wanted. Not made in a few years. The designers behind the original twin-pickup 1423 likely used Gibson’s Les Paul Jr. as a point of departure. And at a glance, the new 1423 looks like a straightforward reissue. It’s got the same single-cutaway body as the original with a sharp-looking black sparkle finish and white binding with a fine black pinstripe. A white, foxtail-shaped pickguard is home to five black knobs and a chicken-head selector switch. The rosewood fretboard is dressed with classy block inlays and the classic, slight, and snaky Silvertone script logo adorns the headstock.

It has a mahogany body. Thin body. Might be thinner than the orginial? Darmond pickups recreated by the family. Not the normal Semore Duncan pickups. Mine was the limited edition. Plastic still on the pickups. Must have not been played but very few times. Sparkle body flashy. A chicken head knob. And the blender switch optionin the midle postion. Being semi-hollow, examples of the original 1423 fall in the vicinity of five pounds, but my reissue is more substantial at seven pounds, 14 ounces. It’s still very comfortable to hold and feels compact and well balanced. The neck has a very comfortable C shape.Gibson players in particular will feel very much at home with it, particularly given the 1 11/16" wide nut and 24.75" scale length.The controls on the 1423 include volume and tone for each pickup, a 3-way selector switch, and, for the middle position only, an almost Rickenbacker-like blend knob that rolls off the highs and boosts the mids. The knobs fall in a straight line—blend, volume, tone, volume, tone.

The guitar shop worker really liked it. One worker gigs around and he ownes a orginial Harmony. He loved it. It came with a nice padded gig bag that said Silvrtone. And my guitar rocks. A payment was put on the guitar. 1 more payment and she is mine. It will be paid off this month. Here is so example pictures I found online. :thumb::sneaky:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

It reminds me of a Telecaster shape.

[​IMG]

3. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Looks cool, congrats

4. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Thank you.

mshivy likes this.
  5. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

The thing is I was not expecting to find it in my local shop. New old stock. And I do not care about the vintage connection to Sears and Roebuck. Because they were great guitars. About 1000 dollars in todays cash and a pro model for Sears. So the reissue ismade 1000 times better. The funny part they were not wanted and sold not a lot of them. So now they are cheap. So how many people here could not by a catalog guitar reissue because they were sold in the catalogs?

6. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-Talker

When I was growing up my parents bought just about everything from Sears. You could get credit pretty easy and pay a little bit on it each month. I remember the old silvertone guitars that you could buy there and it had a built in amp in the case. Those old guitars are worth a good bit of money now. I remember Gary Rossington said he still had his, it was the first guitar his mom bought him. I'm Glad you got the guitar that you wanted, it looks great.

7. Jesse414

Jesse414 Strat-O-Master

Looks great!! Congratz:)

8. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd love a Samick Harmony Rocket. Danny B. Harvey had a few of these. Well made guitars.

9. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Did you know a company in the 90's made a amp and case guitar. Made better than the orginals. 3 prong plug. A single cut and danelectro style. I want both for a great priced used. Some one was selling some one day 400 dollars. Telestar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2019-11-3_23-36-22.jpeg

[​IMG] upload_2019-11-3_23-36-22.jpeg

savofenno and electroplasmolog like this.
  10. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Thank you.

fezz parka likes this.
  11. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Thank you.

12. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Yes I am glad too. Great things I have found not looking for them. But find them for sale. Or some one on the internet have you seen such and such product? To many guitars, video games, etccc. But you want them all.

And this guitar is so nice. But sadly not wanted.I have asked around no one bought one or knew of the model. And those that did clearly did not want it.

13. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

I got my guitar to day. I love it so much. It is so thin. But heavy than you would think. A solid body. Nice gig bag.

Dewey likes this.
  14. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

I touched it this morning. I played it a little with no amp. I will not touch it again. A promise that it is my Christmas present.. I wanted to get the feel of the neck. Wide necks throw me off. And My left hand has a birth defect.o_O

The neck is great. Skinny and not really wide. A slim taper neck. One of the best necks I have felt in a while. I will love my new guitar.;)

See necks is important to me. And this one felt great. :sneaky:

Dewey likes this.
  15. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Ok I going to say something. I would never would say this about all my guitars or the ones I played at Guitar Center but this one I will. It is perfect. Besides the bridge I want a roller bridge it is perfect. Neck is perfect. It feels like a expensive guitar. How Samick got a 550 dollar guitar to feel like that is something else. I do not know how they done it? The mahogany wood feels high end like a Knaggs, Mayonnaise, Shur, and others. I'm still amazed at that 1 thing.o_O:sneaky:

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

The UK option was what were referred to as 'club books', basically mail order catalogues. Everything was top price, often supplied direct from the manufacturer, but you could pay weekly with no added interest. Other than the fact it was a physical book rather than eb pages you selected from, it was much the same as on line ordering today. The same arguments about putting bricks and mortar stores out of business raged!
    Anyway, when I first got married, catalogue shopping was still the way to go and I bought my first guitar from Grattons.
    Can't remember what I paid but it was expensive at the time. It was a Laramie red / yellow burst jumbo acoustic. Served me well for a number of years until a hump developed in the board where it met the body.
    I set it up Nashville style, with the top set of strings from a twelve string, and it sounded reasonable and less strain on the neck slowed the deterioration.
    Eventually I took off the neck and grafted it onto a body I'd made out of 2 x 2 and plywood. I won't bother to describe it further!

Smokey3 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.