New guitar volume pot problem..

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by gwjensen, Feb 16, 2017.

1. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

My 2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute developed a faulty neck volume pot a few weeks ago. It's completely silent between about 8.5 and 10. Practically speaking, it's not a big problem because the volume is always down around 7 or less (I like to crank the amp and turn down the guitar), but still, it bothers me...

Anyway, it has the new fangled circuit board and I'm not sure how to fix the pot. It seems like the problem is inside the pot, which I don't think can be taken apart, so I'd probably have to replace it. It also looks like the pot is soldered onto the circuit board, which might be another complication in the repair/replacement.

It's under warranty, but I really don't feel like shipping it to Gibson or taking it to the nearest authorized warranty shop an hour and half away.

After mulling this over, I'm inclined to take out the circuit board and wire it up old school with all new parts. While I'm at it, I'm thinking about a pickup swap as well just for a change. That way, I would also preserve the original quick connect pickup wiring on the stock 490s and if another warranty problem arises where I do have to take it to Gibson, I could just reinstall the circuit board and plug the original pups and everything else back into it just like it was.

What say you, wise men and women of the mighty ST? Is this a good plan, or should I send it to Gibson, or is there a way to fix a faulty pot?

3464747842_d8fe453e85.jpg

2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Raiders757 and CigBurn like this.
  3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Scott has the right idea.

gwjensen likes this.
  4. StratLover66

StratLover66 Strat-Talker

I would send it to Gibson (or authorized Gibson service center) for warranty repair. It's covered under warranty and it puts the pressure on Gibson to be sure they are using quality parts. As long as it's not their problem to fix, they'll never address it.

Bodean, Pete_C and Stratoman10 like this.
  5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm in the let Gibson deal with it camp. I wouldn't change anything until the warranty is up. I doubt you can fix a pot. Well a hammer maybe but only after its been changed.

Bodean and Pete_C like this.
  6. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I see both sides of the coin, good luck whatever you decide.

Is the circuit board solderless?

Bodean likes this.
  7. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

I'm sittin' on the fence, as I agree with both sides. The thing is spanky new and it should work properly, so Gibson should be held accountable. That said, to hell with that fancy pants circuit board.

Before you do anything. Try a little CRS quick dry electronic cleaner (or something similar). Spray a little shot in the tiny square you see on top of the potentiometer and turn the knob back and forth. That's why it's there. To solve issues similar to yours.

gwjensen and Stratoman10 like this.
  8. gwjensen

The hammer worked, I kid you not!!! Well not exactly a hammer per se, but a few stout blows with the plastic handle of a screw driver (no marks). We'll see if it stays fixed... Maybe I just need to spank it every few weeks. These Lesters do need a firm hand... Thanks!

Stratoman10 likes this.
  9. gwjensen

It's a combination. The pots look soldered, but everything else is quick connect. I like the concept, especially for pickups; how great would that be if you could swap out pups with no soldering? Fender and everyone else should being going in that direction, IMO.

mshivy likes this.
  10. gwjensen

Good idea! Maybe Radio Shack carries that. For the time being, a couple whacks like I just posted fixed it, for now...

mshivy, Bodean and Raiders757 like this.
  11. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I got a new Trad last January. Beautiful to look at and play. The only problem I've had was for the first two or three months it wouldn't stay tuned for more than a few minutes. Took it to local luthier for a nice setup and it's been fine ever since. It's finicky about getting tuned at times but once it's there life is good

Glad you made yours see who's boss :cool:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    gwjensen and Raiders757 like this.
  12. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

In Guitar World there is an add from some company that offers pickups and such to do that, and I thought the same thing. What a killer idea. Not very purist, or "vintage", but so-what. The options could be endless.

Hopefully that fixed it for good, but it is advisable to have some CRC type of electronic cleaner around just in case. The stuff is only $4.77 on Amazon with free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BXOGNI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

I wished I had seen that before I ordered some De-Oxit.

Raiders757 likes this.
  14. gwjensen

The cleaner is a great idea. I'm thinking some routing debris found it's way into the pot through that opening and is gumming things up.

Raiders757 likes this.
  15. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Glad "the hammer" took care of it, too funny. Probably had some crap on the carbon trace inside the pot

gwjensen and Raiders757 like this.