New guitar with scratched pickups? Help please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by peiyuanchao, Jul 11, 2021.

Would you be Ok if your brand new almost 2k guitar arrive like this?

1. I'll live with it

37.4%
  2. absolutely no.

62.6%
  1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Same thread last week, but the buyer said Adorama sold him a **used** guitar.

Kneejerk responders said that he should have bought from Sweetwater, lol

Of course the guitar was brand new.

In his pics, you can see scratches on pickup covers....

IMG_2241.JPG

nadzab, Wound_Up and Andrew Wasson like this.
  2. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I thought Sweetwater considered returned guitars as "open box" and discounted them. ???

StratUp, Andrew Wasson and vid1900 like this.
  3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Vid1900; raising your insurance rates, around the globe

nadzab and Andrew Wasson like this.
  4. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah… I’ve gotta replace the rubber washers in the pickups on my Blondie next time I change the strings. If I can do this, pretty much anyone can. Lol

5. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

They haven't heard of you either.

Zog62 and Bakelite1 like this.
  6. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Hahaha thanks buddy. Next time Geico increases my rates I will keep you in mind ;)

vid1900 likes this.
  7. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Alot has changed since the pandemic. People buying gear cause they are stuck at home then having doubts and returning. How many open box items can you discount before losing alot of profit.
    Demand is high right now alot if things being over looked.

I have seen a few threads on TGP of sweetwater selling returned items including Amps and other gear.
    Alot of people replied to these threads reporting the same issue.

8. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster

I'll answer with a question :)

What guitar stores do with guitars that customers returned to them?

nadzab likes this.
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

It looks like Brian May demoed it. Seriously!

SeventySevenStrat likes this.
  10. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

That wouldn't bother me but if it did, I contact my guy at Sweetwater (everyone has their guy at Sweetwater) and I'd ask him to send me a new set of covers. Then I'd replace them and scuff them up all by myself :thumb:

In no way would I ever return a guitar over something trivial like that; especially not without asking for the offending $10 part to be sent to replace it if I couldn't get beyond it.

Caddy, ratdoc, Stratoman10 and 4 others like this.
  11. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Sweetwater is not just an online shop, they have real brick & mortar stores. Just like cars, a guitar that's never been sold is still "new" even if a few people have taken it for a test drive. I wouldn't be mad if the new car had 23 miles on the odometer. The guitar biz has not customarily had deep discounts for "floor models." Those are still new guitars.

The scratches in the pickup covers on this one look like more than a couple of test drives. There are scratches both in the pickup cover and the pickguard--and the strings look a little crusty too. If I paid for a guitar new from Fender that no one has ever played before, I'd be mad about it. At the very least I'd inspect everything more carefully--if (as I suspect) someone returned this guitar--that means there was something about it that they considered a flaw. What else is wrong with this guitar?

If I paid a used guitar price, I probably wouldn't bother to fix anything and I wouldn't be mad about it.

drp146, Bakelite1, s5tuart and 4 others like this.
  12. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

In many states, it's illegal to sell something as "new" that's been sold and returned. SW knows that, as do the other companies who seem to be doing this. But as they've implemented liberal return policies, they're reluctant to take the loss they've incurred.

It should NOT fall to the consumer, legal or not - and definitely not without disclosure i.e. "customer return".

drp146, StratifyMe and vid1900 like this.
  13. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Sweetwater is on everyone's honest list. If you feel this needs to be resolved just call them and explain, politely, and I bet they will make it right. Sometimes accidents happen even to the best of dealers.

Caddy, RobZ69, noneq_guy and 5 others like this.
  14. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Well...except when they blow smoke up yer ass about how much they care and they don't even reference the product you actually bought....that's happened to me more than once.

But that's the way it is, IME. Most people will expend twice as much effort trying to convince you that they are something, than it would take to actually BE what they're trying to convince you they are.

We may not make anything in this country any more, but if you're in the market for bullsh!t, we gotcha covered.

15. Antstrat

With Sweetwater?

Edit: I just reread the first post and didn't catch that this was the second one with issues.

I can only surmise two things. Either Sweetwater is off their game or here we go again;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    Andrew Wasson and nadzab like this.
  16. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Agreed, I didn't mean to gloss over that. Purely in terms of getting the problem resolved, new pickup covers should work. If it's a larger concern about SW, I guess you can ask for an appropriate discount or return it. Good luck with this.

drp146 likes this.
  17. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

Is it not easy to find pickup covers for noiseless pickups as they require a different type of cover. Nothing aftermarket will fit.

drp146, Bakelite1 and Antstrat like this.
  18. Monkey

Monkey Strat-Talker

dont except anything less than perfect> send it back.It only minor but the guitar is shop soiled.

drp146, Bakelite1 and StratifyMe like this.
  19. Antstrat

Go for the AY signed washers, pricey but they do sound better.

20. 98springer

98springer Strat-Talker

I recently bought an SG Standard from SW and it had a few manufacturing issues (tuner installed wrong and other stuff). I don't usually buy new guitars and when I do, I'm kind of a fussy pr!ck and expect them to be finished. I let them know that I had chosen to buy the guitar from SW because of their inspection process and that I was surprised that the issues were missed
    I wanted to exchange it so I could continue to deal with SW but these guitars were flying off the shelves at that time and never in stock. They offered 10% for my trouble if I elected to keep it but it would've driven me crazy wondering how many other things were half done on the guitar. The Sales and Customer Support people were extremely apologetic through all of this.
    At some point I received a survey email from CEO "Chuck Surack" that was not really from him so I added his email address to my response (in which I mentioned the 55 point inspection) as a courtesy. I also emailed him to let him know that I had responded to the survey, just in case. I was contacted by the Customer Service manager who was very apologetic when I mentioned the 55 point inspection but couldn't do anything but offer a discount on a future hand picked and personally inspected guitar that was not in stock yet. I opted to return it for a refund so I could have the money available to buy one wherever.

SW really tried to make me happy but that's hard to do when your supplier is having a hard time keeping up with the demand.

You might want to run this one by Chuck. See what he thinks.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021