New guitar with scratched pickups? Help please

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by peiyuanchao, Jul 11, 2021.

Would you be Ok if your brand new almost 2k guitar arrive like this?

1. I'll live with it

37.4%
  2. absolutely no.

62.6%
  1. Sureshot33

Sureshot33 Strat-Talker

You ok?

drp146 likes this.
  2. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

Unacceptable? Scratches? On a part of the guitar that's literally designed to gather scratches? A scratch in the finish of course would be different.

Unless you're buying the guitar to hang on the wall to look at, I'm really not relating to this take.

Going with the car analogy somebody used...it would be like of you took delivery of a new car and there was some dirt on the floormats. I mean, maybe a little weird and a little upsetting, but...that's what the floornat is there for and you're going to put your feet right there and put your own dirt on it anyway. And of course, the floormat can just be replaced...

RobZ69 and fos1 like this.
  3. Chimey

Chimey Strat-Talker

I don't get this. At all. Should we be ok with Fender or Sweetwater selling brand new, prescratched pickguards? Brand new, pre scratched pickups, pickup covers and buckle rashed backplates?

jwag, drp146, brians and 1 other person like this.
  4. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

Lots of people already do. They even pay extra for it.

We post a lot about putting that first scratch or ding on a new guitar's finish. It can be a bummer. I've never seen someone post about putting their first scratch on a pickup cover.

vid1900, ratdoc and Ferpie like this.
  5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

That's a dumbazz thing for them to do.
    The bridge p/u poles & covers are a different size than the neck & middle.
    Just luck I noticed that but it'd be pretty easy to order the wrong ones.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Return policies make buying online from big box stores very good. If you don’t like an item, return it.
    When I walk through my local guitar stores, I find nearly zero items that are in my “want it/can afford it” zone. Buying local is best, but it’s not always doable.

I’ve been looking a little bit at classical-electric guitars. There are maybe 5-6 in my price range in my metro area.

nadzab and Waldo Jones like this.
  7. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

Ok. Pet peeve, but in almost ever state, it is accepted business practice / protected by law to sell returned items as new. How many times do you see a post where someone says “oh yeah, I bought this online and I have 30 days to try it but I might send it back” - those online return policies were forced on online retailers and this is what they demanded in return, otherwise they simply would go out of business. Online retailers, in some industries, get 20% of their merchandise retuned. If they had to turn around and resell it at a discount, which would probably amount to a loss after you account for their overhead, they would be toast.

Sorry about your scratches. Sorry someone had their paws on that guitar and scratched the pickups. If you’re that careful of a player, where you keep your stuff pristine, get new covers. If you’re like me, and enjoy the process of “naturally relicing” your guitars, meh.

For the record, the company I work for has an online retail division. Fortunately we just deal with food. No returns - just refunds.

Ferpie and fos1 like this.
  8. publius

publius Strat-Talker

I get ruffled when things like that happen. Happened to me with Home Depot and a Toro Lawnmower supposed to be delivered from local store ( Buy Local!) was shipped from some other state, arrived open box missing parts covered in the leaked oil, was obviously a returned good. They sent me what was missing & damaged, I cleaned it up, assembled it and it cuts my grass today, still every time it does , it's grumble grumble, frigging........wtf? Even though I am well aware of TF......

I Brough home a mint 2009 USA Strat from a local collector, and almost immediately as I stood up from my stool removing the strap from my shoulder placed a portion of the most magnificent headstock directly in the path of the rapidly spinning path of my ceiling fan.I shall not relive the next few seconds her, the Horror! Now the smallest of imperfections lies between two Machine Heads on the back of the headstock.All things must pass...few do unscathed.

Kinda reminds me of online sellers with their "LIKE NEW" descriptions.....very few are that. Like New should mean that. Not damned good for it's age / condition. Your New is not Like New. I however would do the same get new in box covers. Or better yet, dump the noiseless!!!!! :rolleyes:

And yes as Frank Zappa stated....Shut up and Play yer Guitar!:thumb:

9. Aleksej79ns

Aleksej79ns Strat-Talk Member

For 2K they should have... o_O

drp146 likes this.
  10. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

On one hand the scratches seem like a small issue.

On the other hand, a 2k guitar ought to be perfect.

I dont have advice for the OP, except that SW has outstanding customer service. Hopefully OP will come out of this with what they want.

drp146 and fos1 like this.
  11. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I purchased my Ultra at a local shop this last February. The had them sorted on the second shelf about shoulder level. They had at least 10. I looked at each carefully before choosing the SSS Texas Tea. The serial number on mine indicates 2020. I didn't see any flaws in any of them. They all looked perfect on careful inspection. The sale person stated that they take them all out of the boxes to inspect and set them up to local conditions. They have hundreds of guitars at this store. I doubt that you could get one untouched. I was selecting from blue or Tea SSS and others that were HSS. Fender had zero quality control issues on the numerous guitars I looked at that day. In addition, I had been searching for a new "Cadillac" guitar for six months plus. I never saw any issue with Fender QC.

12. Chimey

Chimey Strat-Talker

I think it may not be so easy, or even possible to change those Ultra Noiseless covers, depending on the design. They look like my SCN's which covers can't be removed without surgery and/or risk of damage.

And, if he did want to dump the noiseless pickups and sell them, do you think someone would buy them off him for the same price as the next listing on Reverb/Stratosphere with non scratched up covers? I mean come on, they look like crap. New? Really?

And, I think the real issue here is that Sweetwater sent him a 2nd guitar with the same issue he sent the first guitar back for. They knew why he sent it back. That, to me, is ridiculously unacceptable. Why didn't they just change the covers and then ship it?

And, I get it...some people don't want to have to take off their pickguard to change scratched parts on a brand new guitar they just spent $2000 on. I wouldn't. It's a pita and should be unacceptable, especially from SW. Twice.

TN703800 and drp146 like this.
  13. fos1

I lived in a small town in Kansas for six years. There were two local guitar shops. Neither carried guitars much above the beginner level. If you ordered a high end guitar through them, it was pretty much yours if the damage was not a warranty issue. One shop was much better than the other. It was much safer to purchase online.

Does anyone remember Radio Shack? A great company for electronic parts you needed in a hurry but they had a whole different take on "new in the box".

14. fos1

This whole thing just seems so out of character for Sweetwater. Very contrary to my experience. I just wonder if the discounted floor model option was selected, inadvertently or not?

Caddy likes this.
  15. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

That's just how they come from Fender sometimes

You could open 2 more boxes, and get the exact same thing again

Next week, we'll have the exact same thread, warning us all that zSounds is shipping used guitars; beware!

Andrew Wasson, fos1 and peiyuanchao like this.
  16. Chimey

Chimey Strat-Talker

But, the point again here, is that they're not ALL like that from Fender and SW sent him the exact same problem he sent the first one back for. What kind of special hands on inspection service is that? He might as well have bought an unopened box from Zzounds and took his chances.

17. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talker

I'm a professional left elbow model and I can prove it.

[​IMG]

peiyuanchao likes this.
  18. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

It's not like his rep examined the guitar personally.

The reps are miles away from the warehouse

The guitar tech, who handles 100 guitars a day, checked out the guitar, did not notice anything unusual.

If those tiny scratches were something odd, the tech would have pulled another instrument

19. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talker

The point is... he saved up for and wants a perfect guitar, and for the price one pays for a new Fender American Ultra Strat, it should damnėd well be perfect. Yes, he'll scratch things up himself as things progress, but those scratches will be HIS.

Those of us who always buy used will think it's nit-picking, but if I were paying a premium price for a premium new instrument I'd expect it to be perfect too.

After looking at the pictures again, it *could* be adhesive. Before I threw a fit, I'd get some gentle solvent like "goo-gone" and see if I couldn't clean it off.

drp146, fos1 and Waldo Jones like this.
  20. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I see both sides of this. I worked at a Dean distributor years ago and we grabbed the guitars off the shelf to fill the order, inspected them for defects, tuned them up, gave them a play and adjusted the action if it was horrid and checked the electronics. Then loosened the strings a little for shipping and then packed them and sent them off. I can easily see how something like this got missed the first time. But they advertise a "55 point inspection" which implies a very thorough inspection of everything they ship rather than 3-5 point once over. Especially if its a replacement for a specific complaint.

drp146 likes this.