New HD28 Day

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Stratoskater, May 5, 2019.

1. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

So a week and a half ago I traded my 2017 Martin OM 21 that I never played for a 2000 Martin D 18V. While I really like the tone of the D 18 it had a 1 11/16 nut and narrow bridge spacing. This does not bother me on strumming but the narrow bridge spacing really makes finger picking difficult for me and switching from my 000 28 Modern Deluxe with its 1 3/4 nut width and wider bridge spacing. Went by Sam Ash tonight and traded it in for this new HD 28.

I was actually blown away by the trade amount they gave me for the D 18. The regional manager was in the store for a visit and my sales guy and the store manager told him I’d bought an American Orig 50’s Tele, an ES 335 and the 57 Custom Deluxe from them since January so they ended up giving me 75% of what they have listed the D 18 for! The store manager wanted my wife and I to meet the regional manger and told him we were one of her top customers. Spent 20 minuets talking with the regional manager about gear. I will post pics tomorrow but this thing is gorgeous, plays like a dream and has all the Martin dreadnaught tone you would expect.

2. cc407

cc407 Strat-Talker

Congrats on your deal and guitar

Stratoskater likes this.
  3. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Can't wait to see it

Stratoskater likes this.
  4. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

Can we hear it?

5. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations! The D28 and HD28 are THE iconic acoustic guitars IMHO. My first decent acoustic was a 1968 D28 I bought used for about $400 in 1979 or so. Had it for 25 years and it's the acoustic against which I judge every other acoustic. I don't have any need or want for the size or volume of a dread anymore, but that will always be my ultimate guitar...

If it's brand new and it sounds great now, just imagine how amazing it's likely to sound in a year or so. Those things just get better and better as those tops vibrate.

Enjoy!

6. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

HD-28 is a tone monster. Have you messed with those tone thingys that work on the soundboard? there's a couple of good tutorials on the Eastman site from a guy, Pure Vida, that he used on his E20 OM.

7. Stratoskater

Are you talking about the devices that are supposed to vibrate the guitar top and make it go ahead and open up? I’ve never used one.

8. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Just play it. One of the things I love about an acoustic is that it really takes on the character of your playing style.

Great guitar!!! Congrats. :)

Stratoskater and EC Strat like this.
  9. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Man, WHY did you let that vintage Martin go????????!!

Nate D likes this.
  10. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

A hearty congratulations! A mighty fine choice!

I love my bought new 2015 HD-28. upload_2019-5-5_18-57-10.gif

Stratoskater likes this.
  11. Stratoskater

Yeah I would rather just play a guitar and discover it’s voice through my playing vs using a device to mimic someone playing.

Nate D likes this.
  12. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Nothing wrong with those devices. I think you and I are on the same page with regards to tone and playing and I know I had fun doing that with both of my acoustics.

Stratoskater likes this.
  13. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

Is yours really super new? When I got mine the nitro was still thinning out - it was a near perfect even gloss. A few (several?) months later it had shrunk and the woodgrain popped out.

Nate D likes this.
  14. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

The HD28 has 1 11/16 nut width, too, right? Same as the D18. Is the difference in the string spacing at the bridge?

15. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Basically because I had barely been playing any music for years and when I did pick that guitar up to TRY to play it, it was just an unplayable beast for my non-calloused and non-practiced fingers. I had it in that state for quite a while before I realized I'd probably never put in much time with it again, it needed some fairly major work to get it really playable again, and it had accumulated some value. So I sold it, put a small amount of what I got for it into a very inexpensive but easy to play placeholder guitar just so I'd have something to pick up for those rare moments I wanted to try to play again, and put the rest of the money into other needed family stuff.

When I started really playing a lot again a little over two years ago, I initially kind of wished I still had it, but then when I went looking at guitars to move back up to something fairly nice, I played a lot of stuff and realized I really didn't want a dreadnaught again / anymore, either in terms of the size of the box or the volume it put out. So I bought an 000-15M which was by far my favorite playing and sounding of the guitars within my price range. As much as I liked that guitar, I've since even moved on from that and now I play carbon fiber, which sounds astonishingly good in a much smaller and more comfortable package, and doesn't require anywhere near the care and feeding. So I'm happy with where I landed and I hope that old D28 is still being played hard and put away wet by someone who really appreciates it. I was probably never gonna be that guy again.

But for all that, I still remember how it felt and sounded to play and I'll judge every guitar against it forever. It was a privilege to have been it's caretaker for as long as I was. I got more than my share of pleasure from it.

-Ray

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Nate D and EC Strat like this.
  16. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

17. Stratoskater

No the HD 28 has 1 3/4 nut. See specs on link below. About 2-3 years ago they changed the D 28 and HD 28 to a 1 3/4 nut. The D 18's made in 2012 and on also now have 1 3/4 nuts. With the wider nut comes the wider 2 5/32 bridge spacing vs. 2 1/8 with the 1 11/16 nut.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series/hd-28/

Lone Woof likes this.
  18. Stratoskater

It was made early this year based on serial #. It was actually made just before my 000 28 Modern Deluxe I bought in March.

StratoMutt likes this.
  19. Stratoskater