New here with my 1957 - how often do you play/store yours?

B108Fender

Strat-Talk Member
May 31, 2022
California
Hi all - the Clapton strat has been my main guitar for 15+ yrs... but only owned my 1957 for under a year. I'm pretty new to the world of vintage... really enjoying my 1957. I play mine every day so it's always out and about (my room is generally 40-50% humidity year round). She's no closet queen - but she sure can sing.

(just did a small video: in case you're wondering what she looks/sounds like through a few amps)

So how often do you play yours and how do you store it on a regular basis?

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
Congrats on the acquisition of that amazing '57!! I especially like the clean tones you achieve at 2:25, 4:11 and 5:09 in your excellent demonstration. You hit on all the big pluses of playing a '50's Strat. Having a light weight one is a major plus, IMHO. The large neck with the soft V is especially nice if you play primarily with your thumb around the neck.

I play my '55 daily. It's also light at 6.75 lbs. I didn't do as comprehensive a video as you but I do demonstrate it on the short clip below. More deets are discussed in this forum at this link. Best of luck on the recording of your album and with that amazing '57 Strat!!

Last edited:

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
Hi all - the Clapton strat has been my main guitar for 15+ yrs... but only owned my 1957 for under a year. I'm pretty new to the world of vintage... really enjoying my 1957. I play mine every day so it's always out and about (my room is generally 40-50% humidity year round). She's no closet queen - but she sure can sing.

(just did a small video: in case you're wondering what she looks/sounds like through a few amps)

So how often do you play yours and how do you store it on a regular basis?

Welcome! That's one hell of an entrance you've made here :)

ripgtr

Most Honored Senior Member
Feb 16, 2012
austin
I've had my '60 for 46 years. I gigged it Saturday.
I don't play it every day, I have my tele and partsocaster strat out all the time, but I get it out quite often, usually recording, but gigging too. I love mine, I've been through a lot, including times when about all I had was that guitar. It is a work horse, been a hard working guitar all its life.

B108Fender

Strat-Talk Member
May 31, 2022
California
Fine playing sir. Congrats on the guitar.
Ahh - gosh thanks... I hardly consider it so... I see all these people shredding with such insane speed and I sincerely admire it and even envy it sometimes ... but its not something that fits with my style of music - so I kind of avoid it. Nonetheless... much appreciated.

B108Fender

Strat-Talk Member
May 31, 2022
California
I've had my '60 for 46 years. I gigged it Saturday.
I don't play it every day, I have my tele and partsocaster strat out all the time, but I get it out quite often, usually recording, but gigging too. I love mine, I've been through a lot, including times when about all I had was that guitar. It is a work horse, been a hard working guitar all its life.
Love that!!! gigging out - man that's legit.

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
I play my ‘65 every single day. It stays out on the rack with all my other guitars. I also keep my room around 45-50% Humidity.

I love a V shaped neck also, but as a lefty, my chances of finding a lefty ‘57 are pretty slim. A good freind of mine has 2 Strats from ‘57 and both have amazing necks, even when playing backwards.

Excellent production quality on your video BTW. You represent your studio space and capabilities well.

I see an SM57 in front of the amps. Is that the only mic that was used to capture the amp sound, or were there additional room mics etc?

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
I don't play any of my guitars every day, though they're all out - hanging on the wall of my humidity controlled room here. The mood of the day will have me reaching for my 63, or mandolin, or a Les Paul. As long as I can see them, I'm enjoying them :)

B108Fender

Strat-Talk Member
May 31, 2022
California
I play my ‘65 every single day. It stays out on the rack with all my other guitars. I also keep my room around 45-50% Humidity.

I love a V shaped neck also, but as a lefty, my chances of finding a lefty ‘57 are pretty slim. A good freind of mine has 2 Strats from ‘57 and both have amazing necks, even when playing backwards.

Excellent production quality on your video BTW. You represent your studio space and capabilities well.

I see an SM57 in front of the amps. Is that the only mic that was used to capture the amp sound, or were there additional room mics etc?
Love that you play daily! Yaaas!

As to Mics - yes - for this one I just went with an SM57 for simplicity given this was my first video. I'm also capturing with a room mic (Neumann KM84) incase I made any smart comments during play ... and I often times put a mic in the bathroom and open the door to get some au natural reverb... but not this time. I think for the next video I'll mess around more with my Royer, Blue Bottle, vintage SM7 or maybe a 414BULS in front of the cab ... but for this one I was trying to manage 3 cameras, lighting and Pro Tools on my own... so ... I went with what I know always works as opposed to sounds best ;-)

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Thanks!
Ohh ...Betty is a mean mean machine. I know this is a Fender forum so I won't go too far ... but those 1959 P90s can knock you around if you know what I mean ;)
If you stick around, you'll find that most of us here are into all kinds of guitars, not just Fenders. I love Strats and Teles, but I also love LP Juniors and Specials. ;)

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
Love that you play daily! Yaaas!

As to Mics - yes - for this one I just went with an SM57 for simplicity given this was my first video. I'm also capturing with a room mic (Neumann KM84) incase I made any smart comments during play ... and I often times put a mic in the bathroom and open the door to get some au natural reverb... but not this time. I think for the next video I'll mess around more with my Royer, Blue Bottle, vintage SM7 or maybe a 414BULS in front of the cab ... but for this one I was trying to manage 3 cameras, lighting and Pro Tools on my own... so ... I went with what I know always works as opposed to sounds best ;-)
Well, for just being an SM57, the sound is great. I’ve experimented with a lot of different mics over the years and I’m partial to 409s and Beyer M160s myself. Also great in combination.

That ‘57 is a beauty. I especially love the burst. Very subtle and you can see the edgers are more brown than black. Great look. Here’s a pic of my ‘65. 567A990B-698B-456E-9D47-3D10F473015D.jpeg

Nicks917

Strat-Talker
Jan 8, 2022
South Carolina, USA
Congrats on the acquisition of that amazing '57!! I especially like the clean tones you achieve at 2:25, 4:11 and 5:09 in your excellent demonstration. You hit on all the big pluses of playing a '50's Strat. Having a light weight one is a major plus, IMHO. The large neck with the soft V is especially nice if you play primarily with your thumb around the neck.

I play my '55 daily. It's also light at 6.75 lbs. I didn't do as comprehensive a video as you but I do demonstrate it on the short clip below. More deets are discussed in this forum at this link. Best of luck on the recording of your album and with that amazing '57 Strat!!

I'd be playing Buddy Holly songs all day on this. I'd be super lucky/honored to hold a very early Strat.