1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

New Improv Challenge #5 – New Year's Day (U2)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Oct 11, 2020.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Whether you like The Edge's guitar work is somewhat irrelevant, because I've pretty-much stripped all the original guitar work out of this mix of U2's New Year's Day. Play whatever you fancy over it.

The song is actually in Abm but is notated here as Am
    https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/u2/new-years-day-chords-87434
    The first chord chart I found for New Year's Day really threw me. Even without a guitar in my hand, I knew it wasn't right. Then I realised I was looking at the Taylor Swift song of the same name... :whistling:

Here's how U2 went about it. There are more guitar parts in there than it may first appear.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Very interesting Mr Bond...

I think the poor chap needs Alka Seltza though, he sounds in terrible pain...

Guy Named Sue and simoncroft like this.
  3. simoncroft

When you hear session singers covering the 'big names', you start to realise there's a reason some artists make it to the top of the pile. Our man this week is on pitch, but he hasn't got the powerful high range that Bono has. It's better than I can do though. :D

Thrup'ny Bit and Guy Named Sue like this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

I shall try to coax the Bits out of hibernation...:D

simoncroft likes this.
  5. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Oh
    Oh
    The first sentence...
    Mano e~ mano
    Challenge...

Play this
    Or
    Overhaul my transmission...
    Whatever
    Stay of my lawn

simoncroft and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  6. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Very cool choice @simoncroft. I may not be able to get to it until this weekend but I’m in.

simoncroft likes this.
  7. simoncroft

I'm working on this as a kind-of punk/ska thing, but without the original guitar parts, there are a lot of directions this could go in. :)

8. Rockdog55

Rockdog55 Strat-Talker

What software do you use to strip the guitar parts from tracks if you don't mind me asking? That singer in your track is going to blow his voice box out if he ain't careful,but like you say better than I could muster;) Does one have to use a Strat in your challenges? I'm sure it would be the preferred axe of choice in this forum:p

simoncroft likes this.
  9. simoncroft

I've tried many boxes and software apps going back 40 years that claim to strip out parts from an existing mix, and I've yet to find one that works as described.

What I've done most times for these Improv Challenges is go here and buy one of their Custom backing tracks: https://www.karaoke-version.com/mp3-backingtrack/karaoke.html

Once you've bought the song, you can download each track separately by using the solo function. It's a bit of a PITA, but when you drag the individual files into a DAW, you can mix it any way you want. Alternatively, just mute the parts you don't want on-line, then download the sound file of the arrangement.

Use any guitar you want!

There are S-T members who don't even own a Strat. The only one I still own is more Warmoth than Fender, and I play a Gibson 335 quite a lot. :D

10. Rockdog55

Rockdog55 Strat-Talker

simoncroft likes this.
  11. Rockdog55

Rockdog55 Strat-Talker

Deleted this one rough as guts:(

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  12. Rockdog55

Rockdog55 Strat-Talker

You prob know this site if looking for BT's but I will put it up anyway, I have only used once before for a Santana BT but seems pretty decent for me anyway. That one you use looks good though with all the separate parts. https://www.bsbackingtracks.com/

simoncroft likes this.
  13. simoncroft

Thank you for sharing. Looks a useful resource. :)

14. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I had a bit of time during lunch so I took a stab at this. Unfortunately I only had time for a single pass so if you get by the first minute or so, it settles in a little better after that. It's really not the kind of track that calls for a lot of weedly-wee stuff so I tried to stay within the spirit of the song while channeling my inner Edge.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

Time is something I just don't seem to be able to find at the moment. So busy, then too knackered...

16. simoncroft

@Mouse – That's really good! Essence of Edge and then some. I've been developing ideas and practicing, but haven't got anything worth sharing yet. It's harder to keep this one tight than it seems at first.

Mouse likes this.
  17. simoncroft

I thought I'd post a bit of work in progress. Keeping the rhythm work tight was all I was aiming for as a starting point, but I even messed that up halfway through. Perhaps I was naive to think a song with so few chord changes would be easy, but it's kicking my butt!

Zzzzz, Mouse and Rockdog55 like this.
  18. Rockdog55

Rockdog55 Strat-Talker

I give up on this one just can't get it together will leave to you guys with more talent, dug my old laptop out recorded with the old Podfarm. Sticking to lead riffage:rolleyes: This is an edit as the rest was sh*t https://k00.fr/hksbhfy6

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Zzzzz, Mouse and simoncroft like this.
  19. simoncroft

@Rockdog55 – I like what you did! Very much in the spirit of U2, but with your own stamp on the guitar part.

20. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

@simoncroft Tight rhythm indeed. You've got the right idea there with the muted and chunky rhythm. I could have done myself a favor and actually learned the progression like you did before I started. Thanks again for continuing to post these.

@Rockdog55 I'm sorry you gave up as that sounded really nice. That was a really great guitar sound you worked up. Much more "Edgy" than what I used.

simoncroft likes this.