1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

New Improv Challenge #5 – New Year's Day (U2)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by simoncroft, Oct 11, 2020.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I felt the tempo of the backing track might be so fast that it's putting people off. This is a slightly slower version:

Those of you with good ears might notice the bass part has a couple of slight glitches. That's actually on the original recording, and it's more noticeable now I've slowed it down. Nothing that should stop you joining in though, IMO. :D

2. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Thank you for the effort you've made with these! Too far out of my style though I think. I'll give it a play along and see.

simoncroft likes this.
  3. simoncroft

Thank you for the input. I'm going for a much easier song next time, which I'll post on Sunday.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

I see what you did there- I didn't say it was hard...I feel challenged now, lol! :D

5. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Ok little warm up, first take...slow start ...if you make into the part where he shuts up I think I get going,lol!

simoncroft and Rockdog55 like this.
  6. Rockdog55

Rockdog55 Strat-Talker

Good stuff you made that your own would never have thought of doing something fast & furious like that. Love your Strat is that Candy Apple Red? DiMarzio's? I'm on phone with headphones bit small to get a good look. My old warhorse '98 US Standard just had first re-fret, still have standard pickguard with Kinman SSS Woodstock pups also>>>> AM Standard Strat1998.jpg

simoncroft and rockon1 like this.
  7. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Thank you for the kind words! The guitar is a sparkle red bullet Strat with chinese knockoff rails- nowhere nice as your US standard! Nice looking axe!

Rockdog55 likes this.
  8. simoncroft

@rockon1 – Great that you joined in. Love the way you use simple, single note lines behind the vocals, then went into a much riskier, wilder style for the solo.

Just to clarify, when I referred to a "much easier song", I was guided by the fact I've found this one relatively hard, and that there haven't been a lot of takers this week. I wasn't trying to goad you by implying you weren't up to it! :eek: :D

rockon1 likes this.
  9. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Thank you Simon! I know I was just messing around, lol. :D Did get me to give it a go though. :)

simoncroft likes this.
  10. simoncroft

My second and final go. Two straight takes, of which the chord work was the hardest to keep up.

Rockdog55 and rockon1 like this.
  11. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Nice! Better fit than my take. Blends well. Probably should have practiced with it a bit more.

simoncroft likes this.
  12. simoncroft

Well, there are only so many hours in a day, and we've all got other stuff to do... so we do our best in a bit of time we've grabbed.

For the avoidance of unnecessary stress and tension, NIC#6 is the Van Halen version of the Kinks' You Really Got Me, again stripped of all guitar, so you can go as Ape Trick as you like! :D:D:D

rockon1 likes this.
  13. simoncroft